Anyone cruising to Istanbul?

Just heard a report on the radio this morning ..

Last year the number of cruise ships to visit Istanbul equalled 700,

this year 100, and many of those are cancelling and going elsewhere.

In view of the latest events there may now , not be any....:eek:

Just heard a report on the radio this morning ..

Last year the number of cruise ships to visit Istanbul equalled 700,

this year 100, and many of those are cancelling and going elsewhere.

In view of the latest events there may now , not be any....:eek:

Sad. This attack on the Istanbul Airport is going to effect all future Eastern Med. cruises, because of existing cruising trouble spots in the Med.

Edited by MMDown Under

Sad. This attack on the Istanbul Airport is going to effect all future Eastern Med. cruises, because of existing cruising trouble spots in the Med.

and further to that , if the Govt issues a travel warning , I believe you are not covered by insurance....:eek:

The Princess cruise I've booked on for September next year still has it on the itinerary. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

Itineraries can be easily changed. ....even while the cruise is underway. We were supposed to call at Gibraltar on our QM2 cruise . Britain and Spain had a tiff and the call was cancelled , as we were on our way there.:rolleyes:

Itineraries can be easily changed. ....even while the cruise is underway. We were supposed to call at Gibraltar on our QM2 cruise . Britain and Spain had a tiff and the call was cancelled , as we were on our way there.:rolleyes:

True. Ah well, hopefully that part of the world will settle down again over the next year. What will be will be!

Yes, it would be very scary. I certainly wouldn't like to have Istanbul as an embarkation or disembarkation port at the moment.

But these days anywhere can be a target for terrorists, I guess.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yes, it would be very scary. I certainly wouldn't like to have Istanbul as an embarkation or disembarkation port at the moment.

But these days anywhere can be a target for terrorists, I guess.

Airports seem top be a popular target. But, has there ever been an attack on a cruise terminal?

Imagine the sheer terror if you were waiting to embark or had just disembarked. All future flights were cancelled and en route flights diverted.

Ataturk Airport is heavily fortified.

You can catch the train out of Istanbul to Romania Also there are ferries that go too or buses.

DFAT site this morning : Reconsider your need to travel to Istanbul and Ankara.

fe

Not even the highest warning and your insurance doesn't kick in with that notification too.

Had that for Egypt and I checked out what the triggers for getting insurance money on cancelled travel and they said that DFAT need to say "Do not travel" and airlines need to stop travelling to that country too.

Tragic, but really it could have occurred at any airport in the world, London, Sydney, Auckland, LA, you name it. If it was IS, they can get in anywhere. Don't think we are immune in Australasia. There are terrorist cells in just about every country in the world.

Tragic, but really it could have occurred at any airport in the world, London, Sydney, Auckland, LA, you name it. If it was IS, they can get in anywhere. Don't think we are immune in Australasia. There are terrorist cells in just about every country in the world.

Yes and no. Certainly wackos exist here as everywhere, but it's way harder to get the explosives used in this attack and elsewhere.

So not immune, but this sort of attack isn't likely to happen here.

Airports seem top be a popular target. But, has there ever been an attack on a cruise terminal?

Not that I'm aware of. However, there was a terrorist attack on cruise ship passengers who travelled by bus to a popular museum in Tunis. Was easy to plan because the ships visited Tunis weekly.

ttp://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Costa-and-MSC-order-passengers-back-to-ships-after-Tunis-attack

It would be impossible to totally eliminate all terrorist attacks, when the terrorists are happy to blow themselves up. However, with high security, like Ataturk Airport, and the support of an aware public, they can try to limit the severity of the attack.

Not even the highest warning and your insurance doesn't kick in with that notification too.

Had that for Egypt and I checked out what the triggers for getting insurance money on cancelled travel and they said that DFAT need to say "Do not travel" and airlines need to stop travelling to that country too.

I was able to claim on insurance because of "Do Not Travel" DFAT warning, for Bangkok. Airlines continued to fly, but my airline gave refunds to all who wished not to fly during the period in question.

Not sure if it counts but the cruise terminal at Yarralumla was vandalised. Sadly, I think it will be just a matter of time when a major port terminal is attacked.

It would be impossible to totally eliminate all terrorist attacks, when the terrorists are happy to blow themselves up. However, with high security, like Ataturk Airport, and the support of an aware public, they can try to limit the severity of the attack.

Agreed, we need to stay alert and in some cases avoid going to or near any of the hot spots that they may target.

A big problem in Turkey is that President Erdogan likes to have a foot in each door. He turns a blind eye to people entering Syria through Turkish borders to join the Islamic state in the hope they will kill the Kurds.

Elaine.