Checking In for a Flight

lesley_willis1971

This may seem like a "no-Brainer", but I'm asking anyway. I'd just like to know what some of you more seasoned travelers do. My mother and I are flying to Rome for a 2 week cruise. I know I'll check us in for our flight prior to leaving for our flights to Rome. However, what about for our return flights home? Considering you can only check in 24 hours prior to your flight time, and we'll be on a ship at this time? I'll be in another country to which I'm not sure if my laptop wifi will work. How do the rest of you do this?

You don't have to check-in at 24 hours; you can legally check in up to the designated legal check-in cutoff time for your airline. The 24 hour thing is more of a convenience for you than the airline. Plus, the cattle-car airlines use it to assign your loading slot; mainline airlines with assigned seating don't need to do that.

You can wait until you get off the ship to check-in. But, if you are uneasy about that, pay to use the ship internet to check-in, and then just go to the kiosk at the airport to print out your ticket when you check bags.

I agree with slidergirl, there is no requirement to check in 24 hours in advance.

You can use the ship's internet for checking in, but as it is an international flight, you won't be printing a boarding pass in most cases. So, just make sure you are at the airport a solid time in advance. You will be fine.

By the way, there is no reason your laptop (or tablet) wireless won't work in a foreign country. The frequencies and systems are the same.

By the way, there is no reason your laptop (or tablet) wireless won't work in a foreign country. The frequencies and systems are the same.

True for WiFi, and if you see the symbol for WiFi which is pretty international, it will work. However another type of wireless from a device (especially smartphones and tablets) is the cell network, usually "4G", "3G", CDMA, or GSM. That differs between countries and may not work everywhere.

True for WiFi, and if you see the symbol for WiFi which is pretty international, it will work. However another type of wireless from a device (especially smartphones and tablets) is the cell network, usually "4G", "3G", CDMA, or GSM. That differs between countries and may not work everywhere.

The OP said "wifi", so I was not thinking any of the cellular technologies. People are always seeking free "wifi" Internet access, not so much the cellular routes.

How do the rest of you do this?
In this situation, I just turn up at the airport and check-in there. If it's important to me for that flight, I try to make sure that I've got pre-allocated seats (or something similar) on the flight even if I have to pay for them.

CruiserBruce, I noticed that you mention not being able to get pre-printed boarding passes for international flights (when checking in online at the 24 hours out mark). Would this be the case for flying from San Francisco to Amsterdam? I am wondering if I would be able to print our boarding passes in advance the day before, or if I should just wait until we get to the airport the morning of our flight. Same thing for our flight home (Barcelona to Paris then back to San Fran).

CruiserBruce, I noticed that you mention not being able to get pre-printed boarding passes for international flights (when checking in online at the 24 hours out mark). Would this be the case for flying from San Francisco to Amsterdam? I am wondering if I would be able to print our boarding passes in advance the day before, or if I should just wait until we get to the airport the morning of our flight. Same thing for our flight home (Barcelona to Paris then back to San Fran).

Sometimes, for an international flight, you will be able to check-in online, but you won't be allowed to print the boarding passes, until you see an agent at the airport, as they want to see your travel documents (passport) first.

Sometimes, for an international flight, you will be able to check-in online, but you won't be allowed to print the boarding passes, until you see an agent at the airport, as they want to see your travel documents (passport) first.

That has been my experience when flying from Europe to Canada. I simply find wifi (ship or on land), check in to my flight 24 hrs before. Select seats that I want and when I get to the airport and they check my docs they give me boarding passes that match what I picked when checking in on line.

Thank you! This is our first international flight and I hadn't realized that I most likely won't be able to pre-print our boarding passes at home. Now I know that we should just checkin online and then won't get our boarding passes until at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

6rugrats got most of the answer, but just to clarify. Most airlines will not allow online printing of international flight boarding passes. For your flight to AMS, if you are going non-stop to AMS, most likely you will not be able to print your boarding pass. However, if you are going, for example, SFO-JFK-AMS, you will be able to print your SFO-JFK boarding pass, and check your luggage through to AMS. But you will have to go thru screening in JFK, where you will get your boarding pass.

Most airlines will not allow online printing of international flight boarding passes.
This is very airline specific. My two main airlines (BA and QF) both allow online printing of boarding passes for virtually every flight. In fact, I have even been told off in the past by QF for checking-in online for an international flight but not printing my boarding pass. (My practice is only to print a boarding pass myself in rare circumstances.)

WiFi is WiFi regardless of whether it's your phone, tablet, or laptop. In Europe, pretty much all the cafés have WiFi and will offer the password if you buy a beverage from them. We've used it extensively all over Europe on both our smart phones and tablet/laptop.

Thank you CruiserBruce! We will be on KLM, if that makes any difference on whether they allow pre-printing of boarding passes for international flights or not. And yes it is from SFO to AMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When we are unable to check in online prior to a return flight, we have a friend or family member do it for us. I usually set up a calendar item to automatically remind them and include the Confirmation No, our preferred seats, our Frequent Traveler number and how much we are willing to pay for an upgrade in case it is available. So far, haven't had anyone forget thank goodness. Then when we get to the airport, we "check-in" and find out how lucky (or unlucky) we were with seat assignment.