Help Me Decide?

SonnyCruiser

I'm taking my mom on a surprise cruise in the spring. It will be myself, my mom, and my daughter (10). My mom was recently told she will likely be on kidney dialysis by this time next year, so I want this trip to be special and memorable for her. She has never cruised or traveled out of the country, but has always wanted to do both. I've already booked the Triumph, 5 day with stops in Cozumel & Progreso. The problem is, the date conflicts with the Jazz Fest in New Orleans, so flights & hotels prices are very high.

Today I found a 5 day on Sunshine from Port Canaveral with stops in HMC, Nassau, and Freeport. The cruise would cost around $450 more total, but I think that would be offset some by the cheaper flight/hotel in Orlando compared to New Orleans during Jazz Fest. On Triumph, we would have a balcony, but would need to move to an interior if we switched to the Sunshine.

What are your thoughts on the ships & itinerary's? I haven't sailed on either ship. My daughter & I both love HMC, but I'm trying not to let that influence me too much since this trip is really for my mom. Any input is appreciated!!

Edited by SonnyCruiser

I think either cruise would be a great "girls" cruise.:D

Nothing better than bonding with mom and daughter.....:D

I just hope your mom is not on dialysis prior to the cruise, because there was a thread a month or so ago, about someone that booked a cruise, but because the she had only been on it for 6 months, the cruise ship would not let her do it. Apparently you have to be on it for a full year before they'll approve it.

This poor poster tried everything and the cruise line would not budge.

Cannot remember if it was CCL or RCCL. But you may just want to check into that, or keep it in the back of your mind if anything changes with your mom.

Hope you 3 have a wonderful cruise!!!!:D

Thank you! Yes, I'm looking so forward to it! Very hard to keep it a secret, but planning to surprise her about 2 months before on her birthday.

Yes, I thought there would be restrictions if her health does take a turn for the worse. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I purchased insurance just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a wonderful surprise this will be for your mom. Very thoughtful of you, and I'm sure the 3 of you will have a great time whichever cruise you do. I would definitely choose the one with the balcony. Since this is your mom's first cruise, I think she would really enjoy the balcony experience.

I haven't been on the Sunshine but I have cruised on the Triumph and been to the NOLA jazz fest. When we were at Jazz fest it was so crowded around town, lots of traffic everywhere, restaurants and hotels full. Was on the Triumph for the 2nd time over July 4th and went to Progreso and Cozumel which I've been to a number of times. Cozumel is beautiful but touristy and Progreso is more of an authentic Mexican town with less spectacular beaches, although they are still pretty.

We absolutely loved the triumph. Can't speak for the sunshine but I would definitely go w a balcony on the triumph. If flights are high you could maybe stay at a hotel further from the downtown area? Never been to Nola during jazz fest so I can't speak for that but I absolutely loved the triumph and I can highly recommend it

I would sit down and completely price it out down to the exact dollar amount, cruise cost, flights, hotels, transportation to/from the ship so you know exactly which one is cheaper and by how much.

Personally I am more of a fan of the Sunshine's itinerary, and avoiding the flocks of people heading to Jazz Fest.

From what I've read the NOLA cruise is cheaper and would've allowed for you to get a balcony, but I wouldn't risk putting your mom in an interior for her first cruise. If she was to get claustrophobic it could make for a miserable 5 nights, I would look into at least an ocean view.

Go with balcony if possible. Your mother would enjoy that better than an inside.

Are flights/airports limited where you are flying from? Could you drive 2 hours away to an airport to get better price?

I'm taking my mom on a surprise cruise in the spring. It will be myself, my mom, and my daughter (10). My mom was recently told she will likely be on kidney dialysis by this time next year, so I want this trip to be special and memorable for her. She has never cruised or traveled out of the country, but has always wanted to do both. I've already booked the Triumph, 5 day with stops in Cozumel & Progreso. The problem is, the date conflicts with the Jazz Fest in New Orleans, so flights & hotels prices are very high.

Today I found a 5 day on Sunshine from Port Canaveral with stops in HMC, Nassau, and Freeport. The cruise would cost around $450 more total, but I think that would be offset some by the cheaper flight/hotel in Orlando compared to New Orleans during Jazz Fest. On Triumph, we would have a balcony, but would need to move to an interior if we switched to the Sunshine.

What are your thoughts on the ships & itinerary's? I haven't sailed on either ship. My daughter & I both love HMC, but I'm trying not to let that influence me too much since this trip is really for my mom. Any input is appreciated!!

HMC is an amazing port. The beach is so beautiful. Sunshine has a great Serenity area with a waterfall and pool. I would choose that over Cozumel and Progresso. Don't forget when you book Port Canaveral your airport transfers will cost more too due to the distance between the airport and port. I've cruised on both Triumph and Sunshine and would pick Sunshine due to HMC and the ship itself, especially if you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin. And Triumph doesn't offer specialty restaurants like Sunshine does. I really enjoyed the included lunch at Cucina del Capitano, and the area at the back of the ship where that is is very comfortable and relaxing.

I love New Orleans but I wouldn't want to fight the crowds during Jazz Fest.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with your mom.

Wow...a lot of pros and cons. Itinerary is MUCH better on Sunshine, but I think I would still pick the Triumph. I think everyone needs to do the trip down the Mississippi at least once. Also, since your Mother has health issues, I would definitely go with the balcony. Even if you don't feel up to getting off the ship at a port, you can still really appreciate it while sitting out on your private balcony.

I'll agree with the Triumph. The balcony will make a more memorable impression for your mother. Book your hotel asap. You know ahead of time it'll be crowded so plan to eat in NOLA at non peak times and give extra time for traffic. Have fun!

What a great trip yall will have on whatever ship you choose.! Have you thought about Galveston? It has those ports and we just did the Breeze in June with Cozumel. Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Those are all good ports. I would also go with a balcony. We did a cove balcony and its really close to the water but don't get under the galley. Enjoy your trip.

For the future

Depending on how many days week she's on dialysis, she can still cruise.

We live an hour from Long Beach. Friend did dialysis early Friday morning, then again when we returned Monday. She also did dialysis while visiting family out of state.

A very expensive alternative is Dialysis at Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so much for the input & advise!!

For those that suggested a different port, we're in Indiana (flying out of SDF) with limited flight options, without spending a ton of $ on flights. Plus, limited to cruising in a 2 week period in April due to daughter's school schedule.

For the future

Depending on how many days week she's on dialysis, she can still cruise.

We live an hour from Long Beach. Friend did dialysis early Friday morning, then again when we returned Monday. She also did dialysis while visiting family out of state.

A very expensive alternative is Dialysis at Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good to know! Thank you!

What a great trip yall will have on whatever ship you choose.! Have you thought about Galveston? It has those ports and we just did the Breeze in June with Cozumel. Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Those are all good ports. I would also go with a balcony. We did a cove balcony and its really close to the water but don't get under the galley. Enjoy your trip.

I'll check out flights to Galveston! I think she would really enjoy a cove balcony! Thank you.