celebrity dress code help

glendale

You would not be the first person I've seen in drag aboard ship. LOL. :)

Just curious, have you ever complained to the Maitre D about PAX in t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and ball cap (all or some) in the MDR, and did the Maitre D have a word them? And what happened the following evenings?

What ever pax choose to wear during the day is fine by me. At night(in the MDR)I do expect a reasonable attempt to dress like you're not at a "flea Market". I'm just talking nice slacks, decent shirt with or without coat & tie. Shorts/t shirt//flip flops will get me complaining to the Maître D. On Cunard, which most know is a formal line, we had this guy come in skanky cargo shorts/Wife beater t shirt/flip flops. This was on formal night. On Cunard, most pax really go all out in their dressing up. This guy, we found, pulled this stunt to P/O the rest of us. I got the Maître D & got the guy booted. We do Cunard at times when we really like to dress up. For this pig(I use that term willingly)to pull that stunt was outrageous. On Celebrity, for the most part Pax are fairly willing to dress smart casual. You know slacks nice shirt, the like. There are those on the other hand, who feel it's their God given right to dress as sloppy at night as they feel they can get away with. I'm sorry, but I don't choose to pay good money to see that. To me shorts at night in the MDR are totally unacceptable.. If pax try that on Cunard they'll be relegated to the buffet & a few bars, but prevented in most other parts of the ship on formal nights. Each line has it's shtick. With Cunard, it's the general enforcement of a pretty strict dress code. Unfortunately for us, Cunard has been really getting pricey for even modest accommodations, so we've moved mostly to Celebrity/Princess. We don't wear tuxes on those lines, but we bring nice slacks dress shirts & several suit/sport coats & ties. We do the 14 day trip on the Eclipse. That ship seems more dressy than the rest of the fleet. There's a lot of Europeans/older & retirees on that ship.

Edited by keithm
grammar

Shorts/t shirts/ball caps are fine for the day. At night they are only acceptable dress in the buffet. If you don't get stopped by the Maître D in the MDR, you would be VERY lucky. A Fedora is fine. I also wear one, but take it off when entering any of the rest. same with my jockey style hats. I just don't want my dining experience to come off as eating at a "trailer trash jamboree". Jeans & polo shirt are fine(decent jeans, not crappy ones). It's simple..How would you "normally" dress when you go out with the other half to a nice restaurant. When I say nice, I don't mean a 🌃 at the Sizzler!

I'm still not understanding how the condition of my jeans affects your meal. Nor do I understand why it affects your meal.

What exactly is going on at your table that when somebody comes in with a hole in their jeans causes you to stop whatever it is you're doing, run to the host and demand that such a person eat at the buffet? How does that somehow ruin your dining experience?

And who are you too decide which jeans are appropriate?

You have a variety of people on a ship so you can expect a variety of dress.

I'm still not understanding how the condition of my jeans affects your meal. Nor do I understand why it affects your meal.

What exactly is going on at your table that when somebody comes in with a hole in their jeans causes you to stop whatever it is you're doing, run to the host and demand that such a person eat at the buffet? How does that somehow ruin your dining experience?

And who are you too decide which jeans are appropriate?

You have a variety of people on a ship so you can expect a variety of dress.

It's simple, guy I DON'T pay good money to eat with people who are dressed like slobs, Period! Shorts & "holey" jeans look slovenly in any decent restaurant at night. You obviously have YOUR right to ignore/support it. Please respect MY right to NOT ignore it & let it go at that!

Edited by keithm
additions

ok, I have to ask because we find it really confusing, being that we are not American and the dress code is in American terms.... what is the difference between a button down shirt and a dress shirt. And what is a sports shirt?

Here in Australia, a dress shirt is a long sleeve shirt with buttons all the way down the front like you would wear with a suit. A sport shirt would be something with sport logos loudly emblazoned, so I'm guessing that not what they mean, and we don't use the term button down shirt at all.

I'm guessing one of these might be what we call a polo shirt, which is a collared shirt with two or three buttons, usually in a thick cotton, but it really is confusing.

Well, let me see if I can provide you some sort of clarity, from how I see/understand things. Button down shirts are shirts where the collar is buttoned down at the front on both sides (am I making sense here?) and does not refer at all to the buttons that go all the way down the front. I believe they can be either long or short sleeved as well. Now a dress shirt (whether buttoned down or not) is usually something that men would 'typically' wear with a suit and tie (or no tie). To me, sport shirts are pretty synonymous with dress shirts except perhaps they have designs on them like checkered, stripes, etc. and do not refer to shirts with sports logos on them. But, one thing I have discovered from reading these seemingly endless dress code threads is that not everyone seems to always have the same view on definitions.

Hopefully I have helped to clarify some of this for you.

It's simple, guy I DON'T pay good money to eat with people who are dressed like slobs, Period! Shorts & "holey" jeans look slovenly in any decent restaurant at night. You obviously have YOUR right to ignore/support it. Please respect MY right to NOT ignore it & let it go at that!

But that's just it - it's not your right.

If you paid less attention to how other people look you might actually have a better time.

ok, I have to ask because we find it really confusing, being that we are not American and the dress code is in American terms.... what is the difference between a button down shirt and a dress shirt. And what is a sports shirt?

Here in Australia, a dress shirt is a long sleeve shirt with buttons all the way down the front like you would wear with a suit. A sport shirt would be something with sport logos loudly emblazoned, so I'm guessing that not what they mean, and we don't use the term button down shirt at all.

I'm guessing one of these might be what we call a polo shirt, which is a collared shirt with two or three buttons, usually in a thick cotton, but it really is confusing.

So a button down shirt is a dress shirt. You are right a sports shirt is a polo shirt or short sleeve shirt. We are Canadian and my DH didn't really know what a button down shirt was, but guessed.:D

Save

So a button down shirt is a dress shirt. You are right a sports shirt is a polo shirt or short sleeve shirt. We are Canadian and my DH didn't really know what a button down shirt was, but guessed.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Thank you, that does help clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Well, let me see if I can provide you some sort of clarity, from how I see/understand things. Button down shirts are shirts where the collar is buttoned down at the front on both sides (am I making sense here?) and does not refer at all to the buttons that go all the way down the front. I believe they can be either long or short sleeved as well. Now a dress shirt (whether buttoned down or not) is usually something that men would 'typically' wear with a suit and tie (or no tie). To me, sport shirts are pretty synonymous with dress shirts except perhaps they have designs on them like checkered, stripes, etc. and do not refer to shirts with sports logos on them. But, one thing I have discovered from reading these seemingly endless dress code threads is that not everyone seems to always have the same view on definitions.

Hopefully I have helped to clarify some of this for you.

Thank you, that's really helpful and makes it much clearer :D

I haven't sailed on X for a few years. Can women wear capris in the MDR on elegant casual nights? Thanks

Claudia

Evening chic night's, I wouldn't. Casual elegant, I've done it numerous times over many years, many ships, many locales with no problem

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

As long as people have clothes on in the dining room, I'm not offended by what people wear. I wear a dress to dinner most nights because I want to, but if the guy at the table next to me wore a ball cap and t-shirt, I'd still enjoy my steak. Now if the guy wasn't wearing deodorant....that would affect my enjoyment!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I note that different parts of the world have differing definitions of what is what as defining class of dress. This is probably why cruise lines are becoming more informal and taking a liberal interpretation what formal, elegant chic, smart casual, casual mean. What is acceptable to one culture may not be to another. Too often we get stuck with "Western lifestyle" definitions which are contrary to cultures definition. Formal for some is a black suit, white shirt and bow tie ( Male) long dress with gloves (Women) for others its a white shirt with no collar and a dress / kilt ( men) , smart top and trousers (women. Who is right and who is wrong. Both are right it depends on what is acceptable and how one deals with that.

It would be fair to say that the world sorry the Western world is becoming more informal and cruise lines are adapting to the changes ashore. Gone are the days when cruising was elitist it is now mass market just as flying was once elitist , is now mass market.

If one feels good wearing it then wear it and don't worry about what others think. It is very unlikely that unless a dress code is specifically detailed then don't expect crew members to interfere. A few events on board ships dictate minimum standards and they are few and far between and are not erroneous or unreasonable.

Right - because certainly the food in the main dining room always tastes better on formal nights when people aren't wearing shorts and t-shirts.

It's my vacation and I'll wear what I want to (and I promise not to try to embarrass people by staring at those of you dressed in formal wear).

If you don't like the idea of wearing shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room then don't wear them.

I agree, that people should wear what they are comfortable in and not worry about what others are wearing. I contacted a customer service rep at Celebrity regarding the dining room dress code and was told it was totally acceptable for men to wear dress shorts with a collared shirt in the dining room for the regular nights (not the chic nights) My husband does not enjoy dressing up as he has to wear an ankle/foot brace that only fits inside a pair of sneakers, so he cannot wear anything but sneakers, and sneakers look a lot better with shorts than dress slacks. On the chic nights, we will eat at the buffet, or he will be wearing dress slacks with sneakers to the dining room, and I am sure there are some that will comment about that too.

I agree, that people should wear what they are comfortable in and not worry about what others are wearing. I contacted a customer service rep at Celebrity regarding the dining room dress code and was told it was totally acceptable for men to wear dress shorts with a collared shirt in the dining room for the regular nights (not the chic nights) My husband does not enjoy dressing up as he has to wear an ankle/foot brace that only fits inside a pair of sneakers, so he cannot wear anything but sneakers, and sneakers look a lot better with shorts than dress slacks. On the chic nights, we will eat at the buffet, or he will be wearing dress slacks with sneakers to the dining room, and I am sure there are some that will comment about that too.

If he has to wear sneaker/running shoes, then he has to, it would be fine for him to wear them with his dress pants.

Noone is going to be looking what he has on his feet. Even if he had a medical condition that required him to wear sandals or jandals ( Thongs in some countries) none would bat an eyelid apart from Mrs Bucket

That customer service rep had NO clue. UNTIL I actually see written proof that shorts are allowed in the MDR at night(any night)that rep was full of B/S.

It's amazing how wrong some of these Celebrity reps can be. You can call 5 different people and get 5 different answers to a question!

The rep you spoke to needs to be re-trained, as he/she certainly gave you the wrong information.

Shorts are never permitted in the evening in any of the dining rooms. Young children may get away with it, but I have never seen an adult admitted.

We are cruising in July with family who have never been on Celebrity and my cousin asked if her teen son will be allowed to wear shorts in Luminae for dinner. He now has 3 new pairs of pants.

If you go to the Celebrity website, the dress code is easily spelled out under FAQ's and there is a sticky at the top of this forum filled with questions on this topic.

I've seen men in 'dress shorts' in the MDR on the first night of cruises and I've seen men trying to get in and failing when they wear 'dress shorts' after the first night.

The first night, I DO understand.(luggage issues) After that, NO! Yes, I've seen pax who wait until a staff member is "occupied" & then they try to sneak in. If I'm there, I will quickly get the Maître D' s attention & the pax is asked to go back & put on long pants. Yes I WILL speak up. If others don't like it, T/S. There is NO such thing as "dress" shorts, by the way. Please don't post stupid endless pics of Bermuda shorts, Thank You!

I haven't sailed on X for a few years. Can women wear capris in the MDR on elegant casual nights? Thanks

Claudia

Yes of course. I have a pair of black silk capris that I wore last winter with an off the shoulder white dressy top, strappy heels and nice jewelry. Looked "chic" to DH, and that's what counted to me.

"Chic" is subjective. What I have seen is people more "dressed up" than on smart casual nights. What people choose is varied.

Edited by eandj