Carry-on luggage size for international flight

NCTribeFan

I'm getting conflicting info from people. I haven't flown to Europe in nearly 20 years, so I haven't really been paying attention.

I'm flying RDU-PHL then PHL-VCE for a Med cruise (flying late April). Return is BCN-PHL, PHL-RDU. All legs are on AA.

Travel companion happens to be a TA and she's insisting that my carry-on be "international" size - something like only 17" in length.

Everything I'm reading is that international flights by US carriers use the same carry-on dimensions/restrictions as they have for their domestic flights.

I recently purchased 2 pieces of luggage - one a 21" that I carried on a recent Southwest flight. I believe they have slightly larger limits, though.

Being gone for >2 weeks, with varying weather expected in the ports, I'm going to need all the space I can get, but I certainly don't want to get to PHL and be told my carry-on is too large and have to pay the exorbitant international extra-bag fee!

I'm looking at a bag that's 16x11x7 (35 linear inches) but don't want to cough up another $50 for a bag I don't really need.

Thanks!

Not sure why your TA is using that 17 inch criteria. Yes, international flights often have different carry on requirements including weight and size but if all your flights are on American Airlines, not a European codeshare, then I would check American's website and use that as your guideline. Are you planning on flights within Europe? If so perhaps that is why the TA is concerned about the carry on size.

AA carry-on baggage restrictions.

According to AA's own site, your carry-on is well within their limits.

I do have slight issue with your "Being gone for >2 weeks, with varying weather expected in the ports, I'm going to need all the space I can get" statement, but (un)fortunately, depending on your POV, I don't have time to give you my 'less luggage is liberating' speech... :D;)

Be really careful and check who each flight is with. I have travelled on AA tickets --AA plane to the UK, but BA "steel" ie plane from the UK to US. I was chided about the size of my bag at the BA check-in counter.

Also measurements now include wheels and handles --the measurement of some 21" bags is just the size if the compartment!

We have a variety of wheelie bags for different occasions and only use our "21"" ones on Southwest.

The other thing to consider is weight --that also varies by airline.

Not sure why your TA/companion weighs in with incorrect info when what you can take is clearly listed on AA's site.

"International carry-on" size means nothing. I suggest you maintain a personal only relationship with your companion from now on...

I was chided about the size of my bag at the BA check-in counter.

That thing must have been gargantuan.

BA have one of the most liberal carry on policies of any airline.

Edited by fbgd

I believe she's on a BA flight from Barcelona home via Heathrow, so that may be the thing.

I'm looking at my itinerary and all 4 flights state they're American Airlines. If they were code-share, they would have the actual airline name, right? Like I said, haven't flown to Europe in a long time, so I'm a little rusty.

I pack light. Well, for a woman, I suppose. I did 14 nights RT San Diego to Hawaii and had a pre-cruise night there. Took a 25" case, a rolling duffle and a beach tote as my carry-on. Dressed for dinner every night (w/4 formal nights) and returned home with unworn clothes. Didn't do laundry, either.

I wear sneakers on the flight and pack two pairs of sandals, so none of this silly "oh, but I like shoes" nonsense that I get from other women. ;)

But with only 1 checked bag, it would be nice if my carry-on were as large as allowed. I don't want to spend money to buy a bag I'll rarely use, but don't want to end up being over-sized.

Not sure why your TA/companion weighs in with incorrect info when what you can take is clearly listed on AA's site.

"International carry-on" size means nothing. I suggest you maintain a personal only relationship with your companion from now on...

That thing must have been gargantuan.

BA have one of the most liberal carry on policies of any airline.

I assure you it was not and had been used on the AA inbound US to UK flight! :mad:

I believe she's on a BA flight from Barcelona home via Heathrow, so that may be the thing.

I'm looking at my itinerary and all 4 flights state they're American Airlines. If they were code-share, they would have the actual airline name, right?

If you are you willing to share your flight numbers we can tell you.

This shows the range of permitted sizes and weights. http://www.ebags.com/BuyingGuides/luggage-and-travel/airline-luggage-restrictions#.VrKDjDYrImo

I assure you it was not and had been used on the AA inbound US to UK flight! :mad:
Admittedly it was about 4 years ago. I took a coat out and they were okay once I stated it had been used on the first flight. It was a 21" bag measured without wheels and handle. We use it for car trips.

You will be fine...you are on AA metal all the way over and back. 22x14x9 is the carry on size limit. Some Euro and Asian carriers have weight limits (7kg:eek:) but the same dimensions (or they are listed in cm not in). Your fights are all on AA so you will fall under AA's rules. (when in doubt look directly at AA's website for their official rules). Don't over think this.

I pack light. Well, for a woman, I suppose. I did 14 nights RT San Diego to Hawaii and had a pre-cruise night there. Took a 25" case, a rolling duffle and a beach tote as my carry-on.

This is packing light? :eek:

I am also a woman.

I have done 10 nights in Italy (in the winter) with large backpack and small personal bag.

Same in Ecuador/Galapagos (ok, that was 9 nights).

Likewise 10 nights in Alaska on a small boat.

Have done 2 weeks in Africa with (non-rolling) duffel and small backpack.

Have done 10 days in French Polynesia with carryon rollie and small backpack (including my own snorkel equipment (shorty swimmer's fins, not full size)).

Just did a week in the Caribbean with the same.

Microfiber, mix & matching, travel underwear that washes and dries overnight. No one ever avoided my presence, and I was entirely presentable on all times. (Well, except at night in the cabin/room....)

(Same for the DH with all these.)

More power to you if you want to have lots of clothes to choose from and don't mind lugging all that luggage. [sometimes we do actually check bags.] Just presenting an alternative. :p

Edited by azevedan

I pack light. Well, for a woman, I suppose. I did 14 nights RT San Diego to Hawaii and had a pre-cruise night there. Took a 25" case, a rolling duffle and a beach tote as my carry-on. Dressed for dinner every night (w/4 formal nights) and returned home with unworn clothes. Didn't do laundry, either.

LOL, there are obviously different definitions of what it means to "pack light.":D

We only travel with carry on. 20x13X9. Usually under 10KG. We travel often. The only time we have a question is on some regional airlines in Asia and Europe that want to charge on anything that weighs over 7KG.

We don't do it to save on baggage fees. We do it because we find it so much easier and enjoyable to travel with less encumbrances. In fact, most of our overseas flights do not charge for two checked bags or less.

We never seem to have an issue, including our BA flight last year from Barcelona.

It is really quite straightforward to look up the various airline carry on baggage rules. Pay attention to the weight as well as the dimensional regs.

Edited by iancal

We only travel with carry on. 20x13X9. Usually under 10KG. We travel often. The only time we have a question is on some regional airlines in Asia and Europe that want to charge on anything that weighs over 7KG.

We don't do it to save on baggage fees. We do it because we find it so much easier and enjoyable to travel with less encumbrances.

We never seem to have an issue, including our BA flight last year from Barcelona.

It is really quite straightforward to look up the various airline carry on baggage rules. Pay attention to the weight as well as the dimensional regs.

Doesn't have to be regional...Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa etc all have about a 7kg carry on limit for international flights.

The do. But they most often less you pass if your are 10KG or less notwithstanding the rules as long as you are within the dimensions. Never had a problem on Lufthansa but did see someone have a real issue trying to take several bags of glassware onto a Lufthansa flight in Venice. The conversation was turning ugly No issue on Qantas/Jetstar last winter. Never had the opportunity to fly Cathay but I would like to see it.

Unless of course you get a new man/woman on the job.

I also travel with a backpack that is empty save a sweater and an ipad. More than once I have removed heavier items from my carry on suitcase into the backpack when I suspected special diligence a the check in.

Edited by iancal

I became very conscious of carry-on bag size and weight limit on one international adventure when we used three different airlines with different requirements. We ended up buying new carry-ons that met the lowest size and then followed the lowest weight requirements. We choose what luggage we take depending on airline, type of plane, time between flights, what we are doing, and where we are going.

One thing about carry on is the dimensions of the case vs the dimension of the fully loaded case.

When we first started our carry on bag was the right size. BUT, since we were new to this our tendency was to fill it to capacity so that the top stretched up (soft sided). The bag was no longer a flat 9inches.

This caused an issue once with DW's carry on. So now, we do not fill the carryon until it is jam packed so to speak. No bumps, everything level. Never an issue after that-and it is even lighter

We seemed to get a much closer inspection was it bulging.

One thing about carry on is the dimensions of the case vs the dimension of the fully loaded case.

When we first started our carry on bag was the right size. BUT, since we were new to this our tendency was to fill it to capacity so that the top stretched up (soft sided). The bag was no longer a flat 9inches.

This caused an issue once with DW's carry on. So now, we do not fill the carryon until it is jam packed so to speak. No bumps, everything level. Never an issue after that-and it is even lighter

We seemed to get a much closer inspection was it bulging.

I've learned to carry or wear my coat instead of putting it in the outside pocket of my wheeled carry-on once I am at the airport. I'm much more willing to check bags in when we travel for pleasure as long as we have the essential paperwork,meds, and cpap with us.

I'm getting conflicting info from people. I haven't flown to Europe in nearly 20 years, so I haven't really been paying attention.

I'm flying RDU-PHL then PHL-VCE for a Med cruise (flying late April). Return is BCN-PHL, PHL-RDU. All legs are on AA.

Travel companion happens to be a TA and she's insisting that my carry-on be "international" size - something like only 17" in length.

Everything I'm reading is that international flights by US carriers use the same carry-on dimensions/restrictions as they have for their domestic flights.

I recently purchased 2 pieces of luggage - one a 21" that I carried on a recent Southwest flight. I believe they have slightly larger limits, though.

Being gone for >2 weeks, with varying weather expected in the ports, I'm going to need all the space I can get, but I certainly don't want to get to PHL and be told my carry-on is too large and have to pay the exorbitant international extra-bag fee!

I'm looking at a bag that's 16x11x7 (35 linear inches) but don't want to cough up another $50 for a bag I don't really need.

Thanks!

Well, I can say I kind of went through this for our trip to Germany last year. I kept reading Air France's requirements and even bought a bag well under the limit. The other carryon that we had was either right at the limit or just over, depending on how you measured and whether or not you beleived the dimensions given on the packaging. I also made sure the checked bags met the dimension requirements. I bought a hand-held luggage scale and made sure that all bags were under the limit. Came the day and yes, the checked bags were weighed but none of the bags were measured and the carry-ons weren't weighed. When we boarded I noticed a lot of people had carry-ons that were clearly over-sized being stuffed into the overhead bins. Of course YMMV.

Although I haven't been to Europe in years, I do fly a couple of times a year. I've gotten a little spoiled by flying Southwest and not worrying about luggage restrictions for cruises, but compared to the amount of luggage I see many people dragging onto the ship for relatively short cruises, I do pack light. I know women to take a small bag for nothing but shoes. :eek: So, please, don't lecture me!

I won't apologize for dressing for dinner every night. Yes, I could take a backpack and "manage" but I am not going to be like the woman at the dinner table next to us last cruise who wore running shorts every evening. For formal nights, she added a top with sequins. :(

I don't live in cotton t-shirts, cargo shorts & flip-flops. I don't use the ship's laundry because the times I have, they've ruined clothing that shouldn't have been able to be ruined and most of what I have, as noted, isn't cotton wash-and-wear.

So, yes, I need to take SOME clothing.

Yes, I wear my jacket on the flight (I'm always cold anyway). This isn't about how to pack. The thread was intended to clarify what luggage I could use as my carry on for American Airlines flights to/from Europe - not regional carriers within Europe. I tried to be very specific with my question.

Thanks to those who tried to provide actual, helpful info.

I won't apologize for dressing for dinner every night. Yes, I could take a backpack and "manage" but I am not going to be like the woman at the dinner table next to us last cruise who wore running shorts every evening. For formal nights, she added a top with sequins. :( I don't live in cotton t-shirts, cargo shorts & flip-flops...

OK, realize people were having tongue-in-cheek fun with this. When you post "I pack light....well, for a woman....", you're begging for comments from women who can pack skirts, long pants, nice tops and *don't* actually sit in running shorts at dinner yet still manage to just carryon (without being bin hogs, I might add). :p I appreciate that you like more clothes. It was just a laugh that you said you pack light!

Whether this is "helpful info" or not is up to anyone reading, but 4 or 5 blouses/tops, together with 2 long pants and 1 skirt, mix and match for 12 or 15 different, neat, and suitable-for-dinner outfits (not formal, I'll grant you, but I don't cruise on lines that have formal nights, or skip them for the buffet if they do). I did not imply you overdressed....just that you don't pack "light". Please don't imply I underdress because I pack less. ;)

Edited by azevedan

OK, realize people were having tongue-in-cheek fun with this. When you post "I pack light....well, for a woman....", you're begging for comments from women who can pack skirts, long pants, nice tops and *don't* actually sit in running shorts at dinner yet still manage to just carryon (without being bin hogs, I might add). :p I appreciate that you like more clothes. It was just a laugh that you said you pack light!

Whether this is "helpful info" or not is up to anyone reading, but 4 or 5 blouses/tops, together with 2 long pants and 1 skirt, mix and match for 12 or 15 different, neat, and suitable-for-dinner outfits (not formal, I'll grant you, but I don't cruise on lines that have formal nights, or skip them for the buffet if they do). I did not imply you overdressed....just that you don't pack "light". Please don't imply I underdress because I pack less. ;)

I guess you didn't get the memo.....a sense of humor is not allowed on this website. Everything is to be taken serious and offense is to be taken and anger returned. :p

Although I haven't been to Europe in years, I do fly a couple of times a year. I've gotten a little spoiled by flying Southwest and not worrying about luggage restrictions for cruises, but compared to the amount of luggage I see many people dragging onto the ship for relatively short cruises, I do pack light. I know women to take a small bag for nothing but shoes. :eek: So, please, don't lecture me!

I won't apologize for dressing for dinner every night. Yes, I could take a backpack and "manage" but I am not going to be like the woman at the dinner table next to us last cruise who wore running shorts every evening. For formal nights, she added a top with sequins. :(

I don't live in cotton t-shirts, cargo shorts & flip-flops. I don't use the ship's laundry because the times I have, they've ruined clothing that shouldn't have been able to be ruined and most of what I have, as noted, isn't cotton wash-and-wear.

So, yes, I need to take SOME clothing.

Yes, I wear my jacket on the flight (I'm always cold anyway). This isn't about how to pack. The thread was intended to clarify what luggage I could use as my carry on for American Airlines flights to/from Europe - not regional carriers within Europe. I tried to be very specific with my question.

Thanks to those who tried to provide actual, helpful info.

When I posted my first reply (post #2) I could not tell from your post if you were on flights operated by AA or a code share booked thru' AA and thst was why you were not going by information on the AA website. I think others wondered the same thing. I assumed that your TA would know that AA has the same rules for international and domestic flights and if he/she was giving you different rules to go by there must be other flights/airlines involved. I apologize for misunderstanding your original question and hope you have a nice trip.