How does free wifi option work? Going on a Breakaway night of first Walking Dead

LuvTheSea14

Crazy problem but I have been waiting to see the first show of Walking Dead for a long time now. We cruise on October 23rd the night of the season premier. I really want to see who Negan kills with that bat. Can I get a text from friends on my phone with the free wifi? Do I have to do anything to get it? Silly but I really want to know lol

Right! Ask them to send you an email. If you want to know about the entire episode ask them go to a fan page to copy & paste a synopsis of the episode in the email. Forget about trying to find a page yourself. Wifi is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crazy problem but I have been waiting to see the first show of Walking Dead for a long time now. We cruise on October 23rd the night of the season premier. I really want to see who Negan kills with that bat. Can I get a text from friends on my phone with the free wifi? Do I have to do anything to get it? Silly but I really want to know lol

If you have an iPhone you can get the text using wi-fi. Don't plan on streaming the show though, that won't happen.

OP, if I read your original post correctly, you selected the Free WiFi 250 minutess plan sailing the Breakaway this October and if true, you might be pleasantly surprised to know that the BA's internet plan is based on MB data used and not by the minutes, see the Internet Cafe manager to activate & set up your plan/account once onboard.

You will have the equivalent of 250 minutes and/or 1,000 MB worth of data, that's 1 GB of WiFi data - which will be more than adequate, depending on your choice of SMS/TXT app, to use for the cruise over WiFi. This is unique & specific to the Breakaway & subject to change, pending the official launch of the newer/faster SpeedNet ... which NCL insisted as being installed & running. ****

Just remember to turn off cellular data and log in before use, and log out or disconnect from the WiFi (you can stay connected to the iConcierge App to use the free features) As others noted, streaming is not supported but you can most likely go online and catch up with your TV show summary afterward, and get more than a few SMS or text messages thru. Enjoy & have fun with it.

**** For a good laugh, my backup iPhone 5S is connected to BA's WiFi again earlier today and now but my Nexus 5X couldn't find the ship's WiFi signal at all - but, it must be one hell of a strong signal bouncing over the Atlantic Ocean's open water to reach us, as its typical range is 100 meters.

e5c43769d4c0d249270686037891b4df.png

Edited by mking8288

Aren't they already dead?

:confused:

You're better off just binge watching it at the end of the season, or just watch the episode next week, they usually repeat the previous episode before the new one.

The OP isn't trying to watch or stream the show. She wants to receive a text (although, having been a victim of NCL's wifi, I agree that email would be more reliable) stating the outcome of a gigantic cliffhanger the show set up last season. It'll literally be one word (someone's name).

While I admit I don't get the appeal, The Walking Dead is literally the highest-rated show on cable by a landslide, and part of the reason is that they are good at setting up the kind of cliffhangers (and sometimes fake-outs) about character deaths that have people desperate to find out what happens next. People have been waiting months for this reveal.

(Just providing context, I realize this won't stop the judgey remarks.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

If it were me, I'd just wait till my cruise was over, go home and binge watch whatever episodes I'd miss. I wouldn't be that concerned about missing an episode or two of "The Walking Dead".

If it was "Game of Thrones", now that's a different story. I'd probably cancel the cruise rather than miss that... :)

Jim

Edited by JimS4210

OP, if I read your original post correctly, you selected the Free WiFi 250 minutess plan sailing the Breakaway this October and if true, you might be pleasantly surprised to know that the BA's internet plan is based on MB data used and not by the minutes, see the Internet Cafe manager to activate & set up your plan/account once onboard.

You will have the equivalent of 250 minutes and/or 1,000 MB worth of data, that's 1 GB of WiFi data - which will be more than adequate, depending on your choice of SMS/TXT app, to use for the cruise over WiFi. This is unique & specific to the Breakaway & subject to change, pending the official launch of the newer/faster SpeedNet ... which NCL insisted as being installed & running. ****

Just remember to turn off cellular data and log in before use, and log out or disconnect from the WiFi (you can stay connected to the iConcierge App to use the free features) As others noted, streaming is not supported but you can most likely go online and catch up with your TV show summary afterward, and get more than a few SMS or text messages thru. Enjoy & have fun with it.

**** For a good laugh, my backup iPhone 5S is connected to BA's WiFi again earlier today and now but my Nexus 5X couldn't find the ship's WiFi signal at all - but, it must be one hell of a strong signal bouncing over the Atlantic Ocean's open water to reach us, as its typical range is 100 meters.

Probably because you are in airplane mode adn that ia the last network that phone connected to.

Probably because you are in airplane mode adn that ia the last network that phone connected to.
No, the application just has problems with identifying the ship's network. Kill it (double-click home button, swipe right until you see the app screen, swipe up to kill) and forget about it until your next cruise.

I read your post kind of quick but if I understand the last part - you have the NCL app and you are getting messages that you are either now "on" or now "off" the NCL ship wi-fi?

If that is the case, we had the same issue way back in 2014 when I downloaded the app. A few weeks later I'd get the notices about joining/leaving the NCL ship's network and we were hundreds of miles from the nearest NCL ship. It was funny but eventually annoying so deleted the app after our trip.

iPhone App seemed to be the problematic one and I'm running iOS 9.x

As a backup, I switch in & out of Airplane Mode all the time and NCL's SSiD certainly was not the last WiFI network that the iPhone 5S connected to, just a poorly written App, badly in need of updates for better texting & calling functionality. It doesn't accidentally connect to my Boingo or secured VPN/Google WiFi ... nor do Starbucks, DD or other Apps like Tapatalk or Citi (banking) connect randomly off & on when I'm half a mile away from CaptalOne (bank)'s free WiFi.

DW's Nexus 6 and my Nexus 5X (Android MM 6.x) don't have this problem on their platform ... tasks for NCL's I.T. and software development to stay current, maybe it's - possibly - a security backdoor, not good at all.

... we had the same issue way back in 2014 when I downloaded the app. A few weeks later I'd get the notices about joining/leaving the NCL ship's network and we were hundreds of miles from the nearest NCL ship. It was funny but eventually annoying so deleted the app after our trip.

Exactly, amusing but not funny - I don't like uninstalling & installing Apps all the time and when NCL eventually update the App, it's already on the device. But ... given our "near term" travel & vacation plans ahead as we don't need to book far in advance anyway, might as well uninstall it.

You wont be able to stream it. Stay off social media, and watch it as soon as you get home. I feel your pain!!!

When it's the mother of all cliffhangers, next week won't be very satisfying! I might actually cancel my cruise if it were me lol

They kinda killed the momentum with that stupid cliff hanger. I was actually afraid to watch the last episode because I didn't want to know who Neegan killed. It was such a build up ... now, months later, it just doesn't have the same effect. Of course, that will probably change the night of, when I'm watching the cliff hanger again, for the 5th time LOL before the premier!

• 4 weeks later...

I can not believe I am missing this episode! And you KNOW you will hear spoilers over the 2 weeks on the ship and at the airport on the way home!

As much as I hate to, I am going to have my sister email me the synopsis.