Woman died in Bermuda on a cruise!

sailingnut

It is sad, but it happens often. Look at the figures below and note the number of people who cruise globally.

In 2013, the growth of the cruise industry continues as we enter an era distinguished by an additional 11

innovative, feature-rich ships, international ports-of-call and convenient departures from proximal embarkation

cities. The current cruise ship order book from 2013-2016 includes 26 new ships (14 ocean-going vessels and

12 riverboats/coastal vessels) from FCCA and/or CLIA Member Lines, with over 48,000 berths and a capital

investment of value of over $9.5 billion.

Based on known ship additions and deletions, the industry forecasts 20.97 million passengers to cruise globally

in 2013, with 17.6 million of these guests predicted to sail from North America (11.79 million sourced from North

America and about a third—5.8 million—comprised of international passengers). This represents a 2.5%

increase over 2012’s figures and commensurate with the added capacity.

http://www.f-cca.com/downloads/2013-cruise-industry-overview.pdf

Well my goodness, what gracious and kind responses. :(

My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of this unfortunate person.

Well, really, what are you insinuating? Posters here are heartless?

Many times, posts about someone having died on a cruise ship tend to lean toward some flavor of blame or carelessness on the cruise line. Admittedly, many such posts originate from that cruise law website...but still... People do die on cruise ships, they die in oceans, on land, in the air, on roller coasters, at the zoo (lions!!)... It happens all the time...perhaps 300,000 times each day.

But if a few dozen "thoughts and prayers" posts make you feel better, then who am I to judge? What would Joan Rivers say?

Edited by triptolemus

Many times, posts about someone having died on a cruise ship tend to lean toward some flavor of blame or carelessness on the cruise line. Admittedly, many such posts originate from that cruise law website...but still... People do die on cruise ships, they die in oceans, on land, in the air, on roller coasters, at the zoo (lions!!)... It happens all the time.

But if a few dozen "thoughts and prayers" posts make you feel better, then who am I to judge? What would Joan Rivers say?

I didn't insinuate anything. And you totally misquoted me. :confused:

Sailingnut brought us the news, without commentary, and shared the sentiment that it was "sad'. I agree with that.

Joan Rivers, (rip), would most likely say to you "Get over yourself!". :cool:

Many times, posts about someone having died on a cruise ship tend to lean toward some flavor of blame or carelessness on the cruise line. Admittedly, many such posts originate from that cruise law website...but still... People do die on cruise ships, they die in oceans, on land, in the air, on roller coasters, at the zoo (lions!!)... It happens all the time...perhaps 300,000 times each day.

*LOL*

I loved Joan

When she passed , after a week of being in the news all week. One of the Comics remembering her said " You know Joan is up there saying Hey at least I gave you something else to hear about beside Brad and Angelina's wedding and her stupid dress " *LOL*

That is sad. It's hard enough for family to lose a loved one, but being away from home on a vacation just adds to the stress of the loss.

Last year when we were on the Jewel to Alaska, a woman in the hot tub with me and my cousin was talking about a cruise tour she went on. They actually had told her there's a morgue on the ship. OMG, I thought. Yikes! But, then I thought, well of course there would have to be.

Later we were talking with the cruise director, and She said that it's not uncommon to "lose" a person on a cruise, and often because folks (probably older?) are engaging in more physical activities than they are used to doing.

I had heard a call over the loud speaker the next day and could tell it was for a medical emergency.

On the debarkation day I was hanging out on my balcony...standing at the railing watching all of the activity of loading on new supplies on the ship. I saw two men come up the gangway with a gurney thing. They were in no hurry, so I knew it was for no immediate medical emergency.

Some time later, I saw them leave with a body covered. They went out a different area, but I saw them leaving. It really, really upset me. I understand that people die every day. But this just really upset me. I just couldn't imagine being on a cruise and losing a loved one. I guess they would be stuck on the cruise until the ship got back?? Not sure. It had me upset for the entire day and I thought about that when we went on our next cruise.

Years ago, 1995 on my first curise, a two week holiday Southern Caribbean itinerary aboard the old HAL Noordam, four passengers died of natural causes. In addition one crewmember was crushed between a concrete dock and the ship's tender in Grand Cayman. It was quite interesting having one of the ship's nurses assigned as one of our dinner mates. :eek:

Edited by cmdchiefthom

please don't look at it as being insensitive, but rather realistic. I think the people who posted here before me are just saying that death is a part of life.... it took losing both of my parents to realize how briefly we are here so now I try to make the most of the time I have left. Horseshoe Bay beach is my happy place. I'll be there next month. If it's my time, & I "go" there, know that I died surrounded by magnificent beauty rather than so many other horrible ways I've witnessed personally. I've shared my sentiments about this with my kids so they know ahead of time. I'm only 53 (& also from CT) but I can think of much worse ways to go. We just buried a loved one yesterday, in fact. Life is very short... "live it up" as my dear mother in law used to say. We raise a glass to her on every cruise.

Years ago while renting a cottage in RI, I opened the blinds one morning to find a hearse parked outside the cottage next door & 2 men in black suits walking up the front walk. I watched them bring a covered body out of the house & drive away. I too thought how sad. I emailed my land lady, thinking she'd want to know that her neighbor passed away. Later that day she told me the whole story. The deceased was an elderly man whose grand daughter was married nearby the day before. The family was all gathered for the wedding & he wanted to see her get married & see the beach one last time before he died. He got his wish & died the next day. While I'm sure they missed him, all I could think of is what a beautiful gift they gave him. Just a different perspective.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

please don't look at it as being insensitive, but rather realistic. I think the people who posted here before me are just saying that death is a part of life.... it took losing both of my parents to realize how briefly we are here so now I try to make the most of the time I have left. Horseshoe Bay beach is my happy place. I'll be there next month. If it's my time, & I "go" there, know that I died surrounded by magnificent beauty rather than so many other horrible ways I've witnessed personally. I've shared my sentiments about this with my kids so they know ahead of time. I'm only 53 (& also from CT) but I can think of much worse ways to go. We just buried a loved one yesterday, in fact. Life is very short... "live it up" as my dear mother in law used to say. We raise a glass to her on every cruise.

Years ago while renting a cottage in RI, I opened the blinds one morning to find a hearse parked outside the cottage next door & 2 men in black suits walking up the front walk. I watched them bring a covered body out of the house & drive away. I too thought how sad. I emailed my land lady, thinking she'd want to know that her neighbor passed away. Later that day she told me the whole story. The deceased was an elderly man whose grand daughter was married nearby the day before. The family was all gathered for the wedding & he wanted to see her get married & see the beach one last time before he died. He got his wish & died the next day. While I'm sure they missed him, all I could think of is what a beautiful gift they gave him. Just a different perspective.

Well said...

Years ago, my friend's mom died on the Majesty on the way back to Boston from Bermuda. They did have a morgue on the ship where they kept her body.

A man that lives in my town (very popular sandwich shop owner) died two years ago on a cruise. He just told his wife he was tired, went back to the cabin to lie down and passed away in his sleep. He was around 55. Pretty sure his body was flown home from one of the ports.

So sorry to the family of the woman that died at Horseshoe Bay.

FYI - I have read at least two different detailed stories from folks that lost someone while on the cruise. In both cases the poster was an immediate family member (maybe spouse?) and shared how AWESOME the cruiseship was about dealing with the various issues. As I remember, one of them stayed onboard for the rest of the cruise and was well taken care of.

We were on the Star and someone had to be med-evac'd after suffering a heart attack in the gym. We learned later in the week that he lived so it was much better than it could have been. But the moral of the story for me was, "Stay out of the gym - it's a dangerous place!" :D

The woman who passed away was in our roll call. She was at our meet and greet, with her daughter.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her daughter and her family, this is such a heartbreaking thing to have happen, no matter what the circumstances.

Imagine going on a much anticipated cruise with someone you love, and having to return home without them. My heart aches thinking about it. May she rest in peace.

And if I may just say, to no one in particular, if you can't think of something kind to say, perhaps it would be best for everyone if you just said nothing at all.

J