Inexpensive but good places to eat in Waikiki

Gaelic-123

We will be spending 4 nights in Waikiki and I want to know some places to eat that are good but not expensive. I heard Dukes is good. Is it near the Marriote or the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel?

Some places may be in the Ruth's Chris category price wise, but not Dukes. It really is not any more expensive than many places here at home, and much less so than some, and the ambiance sure beats northwest Indiana!

Have you looked at a google map? You can easily see the locations of pretty much anything in that area. Your hotel I think is a few blocks back from the beach on Kuhio Ave. Dukes is at 2335 Kalakaua Ave., which would be several blocks from you, but probably walkable.

You can google Dukes Waikiki and check out the menus. You can go casual and eat at the Barefoot Bar on the beach at Dukes for inexpensive appetizers ( pupus ) $10 to $13, pork, fish and burger sandwiches for $12 to $16. Same available for dinner as well. Dinner at Dukes main dining room is a little more expensive and includes a big salad bar. Entrees from about $18 to $32 for a really nice steak. They also have a lunch buffet from 11:30 to 3:00. So lots of options.

Edited by punkincc

You did not specify if you were looking for lunch location too so I thought I would provide one.

We saw this place on the Cooking Channel, it's called Koala Moa chicken Barbecue. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.koalamoa.com/

It is actually not right at Waikiki, it is over on Nimitz Highway about 6 miles away. But no problem as it is right next door to the flagship Hilo Hatties store and they run a free shuttle from the Waikiki hotels every half hour. So just catch the free shuttle, have some great barbecue, do a little shopping (or not :p) then take the shuttle back. :D

Here is a link to the video when they were on the Cooking Channel show Man, Fire, Food.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/show...-episodes.html

Line up with everyone at Marukame Udon!!!! Handmade/housemade udon noodles, various ways of getting your udon, tempura, musubi, drinks. Excellent stuff and cheap. I get a large bowl of ontama bukkake udon, some pieces of veggie tempura (love their pumpkin when it's available), grab a drink and I'm out of there for usually no more than $10 tops. I waddle out of there stuffed from the good food!!!

It's on Kuhio, just by Duke's Lane (where IMP used to be). Very easy walk. Be prepared to wait in line. It's cafeteria-style and NO TABLE SAVING. To me, it's worth it!!!

http://www.toridollusa.com/index.php

From the Hilton Waikiki Hotel, it's a 7 minute walk right up Kuhio.

Does anyone have any more ideas for places to eat in Waikiki which are a cost price for good food? Thank you to the ones that replied and I will probably go some of the ones listed. We will be there 3 days before the cruise and 3 days after so will want to try different places.

OK. I gave you my favorite place - Marukame.

Another place to go to is the Diamond Head Market. Amazing sour cream scones!! Multiple flavors daily. Good food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that you can eat there or get to go. It's up the hill from Waikiki, past the zoo, on Monserratt - not that far of a walk. They also have a website for you to look at: http://www.diamondheadmarket.com It's a good mix of locals and others who have learned about it, NOT a tourist trap.

I stayed at HHV my last time (nice employee rate!). I'd walk in the morning from HHV up to the Market for my exercise. Grab a scone while I rested, buy another one for an afternoon snack, and walk back to the hotel. About 2.2 miles each way. If you stay at the Waikiki Hilton or the Marriott, it would be about a mile away each way.

oops. I made a mistake. The Diamond Head scones are cream cheese, not sour cream. But, it doesn't matter - they are EXCELLENT.

I did the bar at Dukes a few nights, too. Friendliest barmen around. The fish tacos (done non-Cajun style) were very good. A plate of them and some Kona Longboard Lager or Konaman Red Ale and my night was happy.

Inexpensive and Waikiki don't exactly go together, but that said, we enjoyed the pizza at Roundtable Pizza at the Ohana East hotel. Cold beer and hot pizza hit the spot after a long delayed flight!

Another place I'll put out there for breakfast is the Wailana Coffee Shop, across the street from HHV. Totally greasy spoon place. It's not pretty and service can suck, but a basic breakfast and coffee can be cheap. I wouldn't recommend it for any other meal, though, even though it's open 24/7...

Check out urbanspoon dot com also.

You can view their menus for prices, as well as read diners reviews.

Steak Shack, I think it's called is inexpensive and gets decent reviews.

Consider the deli section of supermarkets, too.

Zippy's has inexpensive local food too.

• 2 weeks later...
OK. I gave you my favorite place - Marukame.

Another place to go to is the Diamond Head Market. Amazing sour cream scones!! Multiple flavors daily. Good food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that you can eat there or get to go. It's up the hill from Waikiki, past the zoo, on Monserratt - not that far of a walk. They also have a website for you to look at: http://www.diamondheadmarket.com It's a good mix of locals and others who have learned about it, NOT a tourist trap.

I stayed at HHV my last time (nice employee rate!). I'd walk in the morning from HHV up to the Market for my exercise. Grab a scone while I rested, buy another one for an afternoon snack, and walk back to the hotel. About 2.2 miles each way. If you stay at the Waikiki Hilton or the Marriott, it would be about a mile away each way.

We will be in Waikiki next week (yippee) and one of my plans is to hike Diamondhead the first morning we're there. Then the map says it's about one mile to Diamondhead Grill, so I was thinking of walking there for breakfast/lunch and then catching a cab to get to Pearl Harbor. Two questions: is walking another mile after hiking Diamondhead reasonable for four fit and healthy (but maybe a bit lazy and jet-lagged) adults? And what time would you suggest we leave Diamondhead Grill to be sure to be at Pearl Harbor by 1:30?

Thanks, Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I would say u could walk another mile after diamond head. It's really a fairly easy, slow climb as other people in from of you tend to set the pace. We did diamond head and walked back to the zoo, walked around the zoo for hours then to the hilton hawaiian for fireworks. It was a full day of walking but totally doable for us. Just wear sunscreen.

As for dining we love the early bird special at the shorebird. We also like to hit happy hour at cheeseburger in paradise. Burgers r tasty and reasonably priced but the best part is the Mai tais. $3 at 3, $4 at 4, $5 at 5...

Also the shrimp truck that parks outside the hilton hawaiian lagoon has great fresh shrimp in the afternoons. Not super cheapbut reasonable and really fresh. If u r looking for breakfast moose's has a bogo coupon and the breakfasts are huge with giant apple muffins that we never have room for and save for lunch.

I would say u could walk another mile after diamond head. It's really a fairly easy, slow climb as other people in from of you tend to set the pace. We did diamond head and walked back to the zoo, walked around the zoo for hours then to the hilton hawaiian for fireworks. It was a full day of walking but totally doable for us. Just wear sunscreen.

As for dining we love the early bird special at the shorebird. We also like to hit happy hour at cheeseburger in paradise. Burgers r tasty and reasonably priced but the best part is the Mai tais. $3 at 3, $4 at 4, $5 at 5...

Also the shrimp truck that parks outside the hilton hawaiian lagoon has great fresh shrimp in the afternoons. Not super cheapbut reasonable and really fresh. If u r looking for breakfast moose's has a bogo coupon and the breakfasts are huge with giant apple muffins that we never have room for and save for lunch.

What time is the happy hour at Cheeseburger in Paradise?

Thank you, Susanne

I put my Vote on Duke's.... You can't go to Waikiki and not sit in the Beach Bar!! Take the public bus down K Ave if you don't want to walk that far!

A Mai Tai at sunset would be lovely along with some Poo Poo's :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure and have the Bar menu as Duke's is not cheap.... The Bar menu is very affordable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always sat at the bar!!! Between the fish tacos and the calamari, I was very happy there. I only had a Mai-tai once - the rest of the time, I was content to have a local draft beer or two or three...

As for Cheeseburger in Paradise, PF Changs, Yardhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gumps, etc.: why on earth would you want to visit Hawaii and eat at a national chain??? There are wonderful local-owned/operated places on Waikiki - we've mentioned a few here. Save the chains for home or a trip to a large mainland US city.

Edited to add: OK, Duke's IS a chain, but a Hawaiian chain ;-) There are 2 on the mainland, in Malibu and Huntington Beach (been to Malibu). It is also part of a company that has other restaurant chains. But, got it's start there in Hawaii...

Edited by slidergirl