Bra straps

magandab

Am I the only one who just cannot stand the current trend of having bra straps showing? I can't even wear a sleeveless top that allows a strap to peek out, much less a spaghetti strap top with a regular bra under it. I have a collection of racer back bras to prevent straps from showing and since I can't stand strapless bras, I don't wear anything that would require them.

I'm not talking about a sport bra under a tank top, but a normal undergarment!

On a related note, how many of you are old enough to remember the whispered warning from a school friend, "It's snowing down south"?

Hate bra straps showing. Don't even like those " invisible" clear straps. Horror of horrors, once saw a young girl at an arts and crafts fair with her jeans unzipped so her undies with hearts on them showed. Don't know how the jeans were staying up. She was told to zip it.

We were obviously brought up in an era where your underwear was your underwear. The worst I think I've seen was a woman in a bandeau top with a bra underneath and the straps showing (the bra and top were contrasting colors so it was very noticeable).:eek:

I am old enough to remember the "snowing" reference!:eek:

On a related note, how many of you are old enough to remember the whispered warning from a school friend, "It's snowing down south"?

Yes, I am old enough to remember that question. Usually not a problem nowadays, most people don't wear slips!

After posting this today I was out at Ross and saw the exact thing I'm talking about. Lovely girl in a black racer-back top, with a black regular bra. Sort of takes away from the whole point, doesn't it? Nice to know I'm among my peeps here though.

Yes, I am old enough to remember that question. Usually not a problem nowadays, most people don't wear slips!

LOL....it's nearly impossible to find a slip any longer! I still like them under my dress. It's easier to order than to try and find one in a store.

I don't like my bra straps showing per se, but there are blouses I buy that I like the styling of, so they do end up showing. A strapless on me is next to impossible. I just bought one at JCPenney on clearance for our upcoming cruise.

I wear a half slip with almost every dress... And it never snows as it is certainly a good 2-3 inches shorter than the dress. None of my straps show and I STILL wear pantyhose. My sister says that hose are OUT these days, but my husband says hose are sexy and "finishes" my look. If he likes my style that's what matters.

I wear a half slip with almost every dress... And it never snows as it is certainly a good 2-3 inches shorter than the dress. None of my straps show and I STILL wear pantyhose. My sister says that hose are OUT these days, but my husband says hose are sexy and "finishes" my look. If he likes my style that's what matters.

Like you my straps never show. I all so wear pantyhose and a slip.

I never liked a slip and always wore "peti-pants". :) I also don't like bra straps showing, but here at the beach if it's other than nude color, it could be a bathing suit top. I don't wear sleeveless any more, so not an issue for me.

While we're on the subject of bras, does anyone have a cure for bra straps that fall down? :mad: I hate that!!!

I am old enough to remember we wore slips everyday.

We weren't allowed to wear pants to school so it was a skirt or dress daily and that always meant a slip.

I know this new show the bra straps thing is very common but I'll never like it. :D

Like you my straps never show. I all so wear pantyhose and a slip.

I'll be the third wheel and say....this is me also ;)

I'm a 46 yr old who never shows my bra straps (hates seeing it on others), wears a slip when needed (hate my skirt clinging to my legs) and hates not going without pantyhose (I've got really pale legs and veins, blotches, etc. show).:D It's just the way my mom brought me up.

My other issue is bad panty lines (just buy the right size please!) or colored panties with light colored pants. I told my girlfriend once "Cute flowered underwear you've got" with her beige pants - she said "You can see them?" She now look in the mirror before she walks out of the house.

I bought the clips to turn my bra into a racerback for that reason. I also try to match my bra to my shirt in case the strap slips out. I do have a semi-sheer racer back tank top that's purple. I wear it with a purple bra underneath and then you can't see my bra. Any other color would emphasize the sheerness of the top.

For the most part bra straps showing does not bother me unless its a strapless or halter top or perhaps cross back spaghetti strap top with a standard bra, you should really be wearing a strapless bra at that point and I am embarrassed for you and your failure in not understanding how to dress yourself.

What really gets me is seeing the back of a persons bra, especially if it's white or nude. Catty thoughts tend to abound when I see this (Eww. That white bra looks ratty. When was the last time she washed it? Really? A nude bra is less noticeable, 'cause it was the first thing I noticed. Etc.).

A slip? I can't remember the last time I owned one. I have dresses but

none of them need a slip. I am trying to go back in my mind but I guess

it is not working:rolleyes:.....I am 55 and I honestly don't recall owning/wearing

a slip in probably 25 years?:eek::confused:...if not longer?

While we're on the subject of bras, does anyone have a cure for bra straps that fall down? :mad: I hate that!!!

EIther you are wearing the wrong size, the straps are stretched or your shoulders are rounded/sloped.

My Grandmother would sew snap-tape into the shoulders of her blouses to keep the straps in place. Do they still make snap-tape? If not it's easy to make your own.

Just looked. Found snap tape and instructions to make you own. googled 'snap tape'

I'm in the "no straps showing" club and also remember the snowing comment.

I saw the best idea one day. A woman had on a tank top, which frequently shows the bra straps. So, she had these fancy bobby pins (rhinestones) and clipped the tank strap to her bra strap. It was the perfect solution and kept everything in place ... attractively.

I have very sloping shoulders so this has always been a problem for me. I bought these and they really work. It helps if you have someone to put them in place once your bra is on, but I finally figured out a couple of ways to do it. It is so nice not to have to try to pull up my straps without being noticeable.

I am old enough to remember we wore slips everyday.

We weren't allowed to wear pants to school so it was a skirt or dress daily and that always meant a slip.

I know this new show the bra straps thing is very common but I'll never like it. :D

My senior year in high school girls were finally allowed to wear pants, but not jeans. Wow have things changed!

My senior year in high school girls were finally allowed to wear pants, but not jeans. Wow have things changed!

Same here, the second day of school they made that wonderful announcement that girls could wear pants! I was so happy! It's funny, some of the girls were mad that it was allowed and even asked me why I would want to wear pants to school. Give me a break!

I have very sloping shoulders so this has always been a problem for me. I bought these and they really work. It helps if you have someone to put them in place once your bra is on, but I finally figured out a couple of ways to do it. It is so nice not to have to try to pull up my straps without being noticeable.

Good idea - I may have to look around for this item....I have two new very pretty tops with that 'open shoulder' look - but I noticed that because of my sloping shoulders you can see a bit of the bra strap at the upper/back part of the opening - maybe something like this might help out? (but I will have to try and put this in place myself! :) )...

Archived