Delta Credit Card

chuletsmom

I did a quick search, and didn't find the answer. I did not use my delta card to book flights or my cruise, is there anyway I can still get the free luggage benefit? Or who do I call to get this answer. My DH booked flights and didn't think to do this !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is sky pesos? Typo perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Obviously you have not been with the Delta Frequent Flyer program very long ;)

"SkyPesos" is what we call the "SkyMiles" because of the huge devaluations that have happened over the years.

Back to the original question. I always thought that you had to purchase the ticket with the Card to receive the benefit. The wording on the website does not say anything about that, just that you have to have your SkyMiles number on the reservation. I knew I should have deferred to FTer here, but I wanted to double-check before I said anything. Kind of moot for me, since I always use my Card to buy my flights (IF I'm not using SkyPesos...)

Thanks so much!!! For clearing that up.

I think I used the card once since last year when I got it. I don't travel enough for points just interested in the luggage benefit.

S.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by chuletsmom

Back to the original question. I always thought that you had to purchase the ticket with the Card to receive the benefit. The wording on the website does not say anything about that, just that you have to have your SkyMiles number on the reservation.

From the website:

you can check your first bag free on Delta flights booked with your Card. You can save up to $50 on a round-trip Delta flight per person.1

It does sound like you must book the flight with your card to get the benefit, though I seem to recall hearing that they don't hold you to that. I get 2 free bags anyway as a result of my status with DL, but I have flown with my kids who weren't even on my same reservation (award ticket for them) and got an extra bag free for them, but couldn't say if its because of my DL card or just being nice to an elite level pax.

Why have a Delta card if you are not going to use it to book Delta flights? :confused: Sort of defeats the purpose of having the card doesn't it.
Usually that's the case, but not always.

If you have a different card that provides even better benefits for your spend, you'd be hurting yourself to use the DL card. You could be putting spend elsewhere to meet various bonus levels. Plus, you may determine that your level of spending is such that getting SkyPesos doesn't provide the type of awards/return you wish. Some would rather have a ready return such as cashback rather than waiting to accumulate the points needed for an air award. Others consider the issue of orphan miles. All a matter of cost/benefit analysis.

Like everything, the devil is in the details. As long as someone has made an informed decision, that's their choice and I support that. Caveat emptor.

Usually that's the case, but not always.

If you have a different card that provides even better benefits for your spend, you'd be hurting yourself to use the DL card. You could be putting spend elsewhere to meet various bonus levels. Plus, you may determine that your level of spending is such that getting SkyPesos doesn't provide the type of awards/return you wish. Some would rather have a ready return such as cashback rather than waiting to accumulate the points needed for an air award. Others consider the issue of orphan miles. All a matter of cost/benefit analysis.

Like everything, the devil is in the details. As long as someone has made an informed decision, that's their choice and I support that. Caveat emptor.

Good Points. I just used up my "miles" from Capital One Venture Card and it got me $650 off the suites I used to hold a family pow wow last month. It's not a flight but it is money that now can be placed to a flight. Good deal for me because I would spend the money anyway (July cruise and car trip Voyage of the Vikings) so the rooms for family get-together just a bonus. I do now pay close attention to credit card points -- have value like money. I prefer to spend them up when enough to cover a travel bill -- if the value shifts I don't loose much. I don't have to be brand loyal either to get the benefits.

There are 2 major types of credit cards.... the ones like Delta, United, American that give you 1 to 2 miles for every dollar you spend, whether or not its for a flight. It can be for groceries, a cruise, phone bill gas, insurance , taxes and.

Then there are the "cash back or any airline or hotel... These cards either give you like 1 to 2% of your purchases back as a rebate or credit you the dollars for buying a ticket on "any airline" The bad thing is that you have to spend huge, 5 to 10 times more to get the same benifits that an airline credit card offers

Here is a real example Flying LAX to Frankfurt in business The airline would charge you $ 5600 rt, or 115,000 air miles. You would thus spend $115,000 dollars to get one free ticket....

Using the cash back or any airline card you would have to spend $560,000.00 to get the same ticket 5 times more.

In other words, you could have gotten 5 rt business class flights with the Airline card whereas you only got 1 with the cash/any airline card. NOT a good deal having to spend 5 times as much.

You must ask the question, why would an airline allow a competing credit card to offer a better deal than they would?

If you travel or intend to travel ever, the airline cards dont have expiring miles as long as you charge at least $1 a year with the card. What I suggest is that you pick a card for an airline that is world wide and a hotel card that is world wide I use UAL for all Star alliance airlines and Marriott ( the largest chain in the world) for all my travel Marriott gives you every year a free hotel night...worth about $200.00 Ual gives you free bags and premimum boarding. Dont think you will never get enough they rack up fast

Here is a real example Flying LAX to Frankfurt in business The airline would charge you $ 5600 rt, or 115,000 air miles. You would thus spend $115,000 dollars to get one free ticket....

Not quite accurate for most people. Your formula assumes you only get miles for spending money on the card. In reality, one also gets miles for flights flown and if you're a frequent flyer, those can add up quickly. Most cards also come with a generous allotment of miles as a sign-up bonus, and miles can be received "free" for various other reasons. Ex. "We're sorry your seat recline mechanism was broken, here's 5K miles as an apology." or "We're sorry your bags were delayed, here's 10K miles."

Not quite accurate for most people. Your formula assumes you only get miles for spending money on the card. In reality, one also gets miles for flights flown and if you're a frequent flyer, those can add up quickly. Most cards also come with a generous allotment of miles as a sign-up bonus, and miles can be received "free" for various other reasons. Ex. "We're sorry your seat recline mechanism was broken, here's 5K miles as an apology." or "We're sorry your bags were delayed, here's 10K miles."

Plus add in miles from hotel stays, rental cars, dining and shopping programs. I have probably earned as many miles this with these as I have with just cc spend this year so far.