Service Charge on drinks package??

When I add a drink package to the cart, for 7 days cruise at $55/day, it should come out to $385.

The cart shows $454.30 with a $69.30 service charge!!

So the actual charge is $64.90 per day. What the heck is this service charge about? Is this the gratuities on drinks? (If so, its 16.8%)

Has it always been there?

When I add a drink package to the cart, for 7 days cruise at $55/day, it should come out to $385.

So the actual charge is $64.90 per day. What the heck is this service charge about? Is this the gratuities on drinks? (If so, its 16.8%)

Yes, except for a short time a few years back when they advertised the drink packages with prices that included gratuitiy, they now advertise prices before adding 18% gratuity. When I add 18% to 55, I get 64.90.

I was gonna say it must be the gratuities... but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be 18%. I just added a drink package and it included gratuities and did not have a service charge. Maybe each sailing has different packages?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, $69.30 is 18%. And yes, it is the added gratuities, or service charge. It has been there for several years. A few times, the packages pricing were displayed with the service charge included but not often and not for a while. If you manage to snag the Beverage and internet combo package, the service charge is only 14.5%

dp

I was gonna say it must be the gratuities... but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be 18%. I just added a drink package and it included gratuities and did not have a service charge. Maybe each sailing has different packages?

I believe UK and AUS sailings have the service charge included in published pricing.

dp

Yep, the additional cost is the 18% gratuity on the package. Since you pay ahead, each drink you buy onboard within the limits of the package will ring up at $0. You'll likely get a receipt to sign, but that's simply in case you want to add an additional tip.

I believe UK and AUS sailings have the service charge included in published pricing.

dp

I was thinking hat was the case. But I'm in the states. Maybe each state is different? We usually all have different tax laws.

I booked up the Harmony just four weeks ago for next month and purchased the drink package the total charged on my credit card was $396.48 each person (two of us)

Sounds like you got the package during the 20% off sale.

I was thinking hat was the case. But I'm in the states. Maybe each state is different? We usually all have different tax laws.

There are no taxes charged on drink packages sold for sailings from the US regardless of what state you live in. The only additional charge is the 18% gratuity.

I am still unsure about adding drinks package! 9 or 10 drinks a day to break even? We shall be off ship each port so only aboard for the full 6 sea days plus part of the other 7 days....I want to enjoy my days and excursions, not be hung over! Unless anyone can give a breakdown of drink costs individually on NOTS, I'll PAYG I think

I am still unsure about adding drinks package! 9 or 10 drinks a day to break even? We shall be off ship each port so only aboard for the full 6 sea days plus part of the other 7 days....I want to enjoy my days and excursions, not be hung over! Unless anyone can give a breakdown of drink costs individually on NOTS, I'll PAYG I think

The rough estimate I use is:

$3 per soda or water bottle

$4.50 for fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffee

$7 per beer

$13 per glass of wine or cocktail

Then depending on how many port days and how long we're in port, I estimate how many drinks of each type we'll likely go through, and use that to determine estimated cost.

EDIT: Keep in mind, these are before tips. There is an automatic 18% gratuity added to both the beverage package price if you go that route, or the individual drink prices if you do pay as you go, so compare these numbers to the $55 per day package price, or add 18% to these if you want to compare to the $64.90

Only you can say how much you will drink each day.

Keep in mind that the package includes nonalcoholic drinks like fresh squeezed orange juice, specialty coffee, bottled water and soda.

Bottled water can be useful to take ashore or back to your cabin.

Depending on what you drink, alcoholic drinks will run $8 to $14 plus 18% gratuity (rough estimate- depends on what you drink).

dp

Have to love Australia's pricing laws that require prices displayed to be inclusive of things like this and our sales tax. No surprises at the register :)

9 or 10 drinks a day would only be at full price for the package and only for domestic beer more or less. If you drink any mixed drinks, or especially frozen drinks, it is more like 4-5. You can also get discounts on the package from time to time, we got ours for our February cruise at 30% off, making the cost $35/day. My wife was going to get the package either way, but had originally booked the replenish package (basically all non-alcoholic drinks) at $20/day, so the extra 15$ seemed well worth it.

I am no advocating one way or the other, only you can decide which makes sense for your drinking habits. We were on a southern carribean (5 ports on a 7day) and figure at best we broke even, but we were much more apt to order a new drink to try something new, which we loved since it was covered. On our next cruise, we will be buying the package as we only have 3 ports and one is Labbadee, where the package works.

It's not 4.50 for most espresso drinks (what they call specialty coffee)

Have to love Australia's pricing laws that require prices displayed to be inclusive of things like this and our sales tax. No surprises at the register :)

Gratuity (or tax) isn't a surprise unless you're used to having it included in the total. I prefer it separate.

OP if you're getting the cheapest beers then it might be 9 drinks to break even and not getting anything else. But it's not that many alcohol containing beverages if you're getting fancier drinks and including the other things you get through your day.

I still can't make the "everything" package work for me, but we are all different. There are plenty of places that show current drink prices, or pictures of espresso prices or pictures if drink menus out there. :)