Question about Mahogany Bay,

Yazoo cruiser

Can't decide between the beach where the ship docks or trying Tabiana beach. I know it costs $40 to go to Tabiana, which I don't mind paying if it is less crowded and and a better area for my 2 and 4 year olds to play in the sand. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't decide between the beach where the ship docks or trying Tabiana beach. I know it costs $40 to go to Tabiana, which I don't mind paying if it is less crowded and and a better area for my 2 and 4 year olds to play in the sand. Any help would be appreciated.

We love Mahogany Bay - so close & easy, calm waters would be great for the kids, restaurant right there . . . so cool to be floating in the water and looking at the ship right behind you. Haven't been anywhere else on the island, but Mahogany Bay is all we need :)

Tabyana Beach is definitely beautiful, but the convenience factor of Mahogany Bay outweighs the beauty (especially with young children). Mahogany Bay has a pretty, clean beach and there are plenty of loungers. There's also a restaurant with great food and clean bathrooms. Best part of all, you don't have to cram into a bus or worry about arrival/departure times. :)

Went to Mahogany Bay this past February and I thought it was extremely crowded. We rented lounge chairs before we arrived at the beach and they were packed in there like sardines. If I went back I would go somewhere different. Just my humble opinion.

Went to Mahogany Bay this past February and I thought it was extremely crowded. We rented lounge chairs before we arrived at the beach and they were packed in there like sardines. If I went back I would go somewhere different. Just my humble opinion.

Are you sure we are talking about the same beach on Roatan? Never saw a lounge chair to rent.

By any chance are you talking about clamshells?

If you don't mind a homemade beach with limestone sand, your kids will have fun on Mahogany. Easy peasy.

When they are older and can appreciate a real beach, bring them to Tabyana or Maya Key or Little French Key.

I say go to Tabyana Beach!! You can google it and see just how nice it is. I've been there 3 times and I'd love to be there now instead of at my desk working! If you go, I don't thin you'll be disappointed at all. Try there Ice Tea, they make it and add a little Cinnamon to it. So Refreshing!

DONT stay by the ship! Go to Tabayana. We use Christopher Tours and its way cheaper then the ship. They treat you like family. They will even take you to an awesome zipline place that is better then at the port if you want.

DONT stay by the ship! Go to Tabayana. We use Christopher Tours and its way cheaper then the ship. They treat you like family. They will even take you to an awesome zipline place that is better then at the port if you want.

I have heard that in Roatan there is a zipline that does not require climbing is that by chance the one they take you too? just questioning as our ds will turn 16 and wants to try he has permission from his cardiologist to do the zip as long as I can find one that does not have him climbing.

Obviously up to you to decide if $40 is an acceptable price to pay to let your kids play in the sand. Mahogany Bay is free. Though I found Mahogany Bay very nice, would the kids even notice the aesthetics of that beach vs another one?

I should think that Mahogany Bay's ease of getting back and forth to the ship whenever you like, should need arise -- such as if the kids (or you! ;)) are simply tired and have had enough -- would be extremely valuable.

I have heard that in Roatan there is a zipline that does not require climbing is that by chance the one they take you too? just questioning as our ds will turn 16 and wants to try he has permission from his cardiologist to do the zip as long as I can find one that does not have him climbing.

The one we did starts at the top. They drive all the way to the top of the main hill for it. It had about 13 zips and they drive you back up to the beginning when its over. You to have to walk from one platform to the other and some have a few steps. I honestly don't think it was to bad. Im a fluffy girl and handled it fine. What I would do is contact them and talk to them about it. If you email Christopher Tours direct it is the owner that answers you and not the outside co he has if you go thru the link on the webpage. So you can ask him and he can help you figure out which one would be best. If it helps my 66 yr old mother did it and she can't climb stuff.

They took us to South Shore zip.

Edited by MichelleChell

Thank you for everyone's answers. I've been debating too about just staying around the port when we take my parents this fall. Does anyone remember what restaurants and bars are right there? Is there a Fat Tuesdays? (Or am I thinking about the other pier?)

Thank you for everyone's answers. I've been debating too about just staying around the port when we take my parents this fall. Does anyone remember what restaurants and bars are right there? Is there a Fat Tuesdays? (Or am I thinking about the other pier?)

If you are talking about Mahogany Bay have a look at the web site here.

ahh I found this in the FAQs:

Q: Can I buy a ticket for the Magical Flying Beach Chair or rent a beach cabana once I arrive in Roatan?

A: Your ship's shore excursion staff can sell tickets at the port or you can visit the Magical Flying Beach Chair ticket booth located in the main plaza across from Fat Tuesday.

Edited by Guest 2000

• 2 weeks later...
The one we did starts at the top. They drive all the way to the top of the main hill for it. It had about 13 zips and they drive you back up to the beginning when its over. You to have to walk from one platform to the other and some have a few steps. I honestly don't think it was to bad. Im a fluffy girl and handled it fine. What I would do is contact them and talk to them about it. If you email Christopher Tours direct it is the owner that answers you and not the outside co he has if you go thru the link on the webpage. So you can ask him and he can help you figure out which one would be best. If it helps my 66 yr old mother did it and she can't climb stuff.

Christopher Tours us great. I believe they took us to Shoreline Zip Tours. My husband is a heart patient and did fine with the ziplining. There was no climbing that I remember, maybe a few steps. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sorry, it was South Shore Zipline.

Considering the ages of your children, my suggestion would be to just stay at Mahogany Bay and go to the beach there which really is nice and clean. The beach & beach chairs are at no cost and there is natural shade from trees in some areas. Very easy and convenient! :)

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are going on Thanksgiving week and it seems there will be 4 ships in port........... i'm thinking Mahogany bay will be packed? For anyone who has been there, How many ships were in port when you were there and how crowded was it?

Thanks!!:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

For $25 dollars a person you can get your own private driver to take you anywhere you want to go. No cramming into a packed tour bus for $40 through the cruise line. And no waiting for late or slow people. Get away from the port and experience the island! Have used Boddon twice and plan to again in March.

If you want some “real” Roatan food at a wonderful “dive” (not fancy, but great food) get a car (drivers are about $25 - 30. Ask him to take you to Ms Jenny’s Lusty Lizard . No view, just a small shack.

If you want a view, ask him to take you to Cal’s.

Good food & beautiful view.

Another place - restaurant with outdoor bar, pool and small beach - is

Wilson’s Blue Lagoon - this is great with kids...or without!

There may be reviews of these on Trip Advisor.

Wilson’s Blue Lagoon would be my choice with kids.

Take bathing suits & towels.

They also have a volleyball court.

Judy

We are going on Thanksgiving week and it seems there will be 4 ships in port........... i'm thinking Mahogany bay will be packed? For anyone who has been there, How many ships were in port when you were there and how crowded was it?

Thanks!!:confused:

There are never more than 2 ships at Mahogany Bay that week.

It would help to know which day.

During Thanksgiving week - 2 ships on Tues, Wed & Thurs. 1 ship on Friday.

Check their web site:

http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/port-schedule.aspx

There is another pier in Coxen Hole - quite a ways west of Mahogany Bay.

NCL , RCCL, and Celebrity dock there.

I think the max I’ve ever seen is 2 at each port.

Here is another web site:

It tells about Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole

http://www.whatsinport.com/Roatan.htm

Judy