Christmas cruise flight?

JinxyB

Hi, I'm booked on the Vista from 12/24/16-12/31/16 and the flights are astronomical right now. I'm talking around minimum $500pp to either MIA or FLL. I'm waiting for Jet Blue and Southwest to open up their schedules and hopefully will find something a little cheaper. I realize this is prime travel season and worst case scenario I can drive from NC, but I'd rather fly to save time.

For those who are experienced with this kind of stuff, is it correct to assume the flights are just going to keep going up and up from this point on? Thanks for any tips!

If I were a betting man (and I am, but only when in Vegas...or during March Madness...), I would put my money on fares going up, not down. I also think you should be prepared that fares for Southwest and JetBlue will only be higher, and you'll miss out on the lower fares whilst waiting for them to open up.

Prime travel time, prime price.

American is showing $390 for nonstop flights roundtrip out of Charlotte for your dates. Both cities are AA hubs. I have the AAdvantage Citicard so I don't pay for luggage, but don't know your status. I would not expect to see flights below $390 at this point.

American is showing $390 for nonstop flights roundtrip out of Charlotte for your dates. Both cities are AA hubs. I have the AAdvantage Citicard so I don't pay for luggage, but don't know your status. I would not expect to see flights below $390 at this point.

Thanks for that info...it looks like I can get a flight on AA from RDU to MIA for $452...$900 for plane fare is kinda high (need 2 tickets), but I will keep looking for sure. Will def book something once SW and Jet Blue release schedules. I need to look into getting the AA credit card, too.

Edited by JinxyB

Just a thought...

When Jet Blue opens up their schedule for those dates, check the price of the nonstop from Charleston (CHS) to Ft. Lauderdale. They just started this as a new nonstop route a few months ago, and have offered some unbelievably low fares. (Often under $100). Whether or not they will still be offering introductory/competitive fares for next December and/or how the holiday timing will play into it is anybody's guess, but there's a chance you'll find a real deal if you don't mind driving to Charleston first. Depending on where you are in NC it could be a relatively short 3 hour drive that might save you literally hundreds of dollars.

(I flew this past Christmas day CHS-FLL, returning Jan 3. The ticket was $250, vs. the $1250 that Delta wanted with a connection. Other dates have seen fares as little as $50-70)

When Jet Blue opens up their schedule for those dates, check the price of the nonstop from Charleston (CHS) to Ft. Lauderdale. They just started this as a new nonstop route a few months ago, and have offered some unbelievably low fares. (Often under $100).

That's good to know-I had no idea they flew non-stop from Charleston. If I could get a cheap flight, I would def drive the 4+ hours there. Flying from Savannah is also an option as I can drive down and visit family in the area for the holidays. Looks like Jet Blue opens up their schedule tomorrow!

That's good to know-I had no idea they flew non-stop from Charleston. If I could get a cheap flight, I would def drive the 4+ hours there. Flying from Savannah is also an option as I can drive down and visit family in the area for the holidays. Looks like Jet Blue opens up their schedule tomorrow!

As I said earlier, it's a very new route. If I recall correctly, it began mid November? Or early December? Either way, just a few months ago. Arrived with front page headlines here in Charleston, but not surprising that it isn't well publicized outside the immediate area. The nonstop CHS-FLL is only once a day, so you do need to consider time of day.

Well, Jet Blue is a bust- ticket prices are $500-600 for RT to FLL. Flying from charleston is no deal, either. I have a companion ticket on Delta and it is ineligible to use for my travel dates. Waiting for southwest to release their schedule unless I see a great deal in the meantime!

Well, Jet Blue is a bust- ticket prices are $500-600 for RT to FLL. Flying from charleston is no deal, either. I have a companion ticket on Delta and it is ineligible to use for my travel dates. Waiting for southwest to release their schedule unless I see a great deal in the meantime!

I don't recall you saying where in NC you live, but I'm seeing CLT-FLL nonstop on AA for $360 if you fly in on 12/23 (which I assume you'd want to do since the ship sails on 12/24) and return flight late afternoon on 12/31.

Thanks for the info, waterbug123! I'm actually 10 min from RDU so would much rather fly from there. I have my eye on a nonstop on Delta to FLL for $412- I can use some miles to pay down the flight a little bit if I decide to go that route. AA flies nonstop to MIA 3x per day from here but the prices are too high for me right now!

Don't hold your breath on Southwest. We cruised Dec 27 through Jan 3 this last year and drove to FLL from STL.

Of course, there were 6 of us, but the prices were high. Like $1200 per person. Southwest didn't even offer WGA flights much.

Thanks for the info, waterbug123! I'm actually 10 min from RDU so would much rather fly from there. I have my eye on a nonstop on Delta to FLL for $412- I can use some miles to pay down the flight a little bit if I decide to go that route. AA flies nonstop to MIA 3x per day from here but the prices are too high for me right now!

Don't use your SkyPesos for the pay with miles method.

Doing this, you only get a penny per mile, which is horrible. Much better returns are available, even for SPs.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would give an update on my search. After checking daily and kicking myself for not booking a good flight at $352 RT (same flight is now $500pp), I happen to check Southwest this morning for another flight I am looking at in October. I didn't think fares would be released until June 2 for December, but they were there when I looked today! I got nonstop flights RDU to FLL for my dates for $253pp! I am so happy! I looked an hour after I booked and all the "wanna get away" cheaper fares are already sold out, so I snagged a good deal! :D:D:D:D