45 min layover in Newark -- doable? tips?

love2driveinct

We are flying through Newark on our way home from our cruise. We have 45 minutes between connecting flights at Newark, same airline (United). It seems a little risky, but the airline had me book it that way so I'm assuming it's doable. I've never been to that airport so I have no idea how it's laid out or how hectic it is.

I know this seems like a silly question, but will they have those of us with tight connections get off the plane first? Is there anything special we need to do ahead of time?

Being a domestic connection it is doable but tight. EWR is huge and can be very hectic at peak times. I would familiarize yourself with the terminal layout so you have a good idea how to get from one point to another the most efficiently. If you don't have to change terminals it will be pretty easy, assuming flights are on time.

Too risky!

They may hold your connecting flight for a few minutes if they know you are on the way, but then will your luggage make the connection even if you do?

You could ask a flight attendant for priority disembarkation, but if you have seats towards the back that would not work.

I have been in the EWR United terminal twice in the last few weeks, and on a Saturday morning it was manic, but on the following Tuesday morning it was relatively tranquil.

Being a domestic connection it is doable but tight. EWR is huge and can be very hectic at peak times. I would familiarize yourself with the terminal layout so you have a good idea how to get from one point to another the most efficiently. If you don't have to change terminals it will be pretty easy, assuming flights are on time.

Ok, will do, thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't know the terminals yet. Fingers crossed that we don't have to change.

Sure, no problem. Anchorage - Newark - Providence.

To the best of my knowledge United does not fly non-stop from ANC to EWR so you are likely connecting somewhere such as SFO, IAH, DEN, ORD.

The flights from SFO, IAH, DEN and ORD should all come into the C terminal but there could be exceptions on any day. EWR-PVD is served by United Express so it could potentially be out of C or A terminal. If you are all within the C terminal you should be fine as long as your flight is one time. Going C to A is a bit more of a challenge. The good news is that it is the end of your cruise so you will be on your way home. :)

Too risky!

They may hold your connecting flight for a few minutes if they know you are on the way, but then will your luggage make the connection even if you do?

You could ask a flight attendant for priority disembarkation, but if you have seats towards the back that would not work.

I have been in the EWR United terminal twice in the last few weeks, and on a Saturday morning it was manic, but on the following Tuesday morning it was relatively tranquil.

I don't think there is anything I can do about it at this point. If we miss it then I guess we will rent a car and drive home. But good point about the luggage, yikes. Scary thought.

I will have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There are five of us and although we can hustle when required, it still takes longer for us to get anywhere than a smaller party.

We will be there on a Sunday morning. I will make a point of telling the FA which connection we are on and maybe they'll be able to help us out when we land. I guess that's all I can do.

To the best of my knowledge United does not fly non-stop from ANC to EWR so you are likely connecting somewhere such as SFO, IAH, DEN, ORD.

The flights from SFO, IAH, DEN and ORD should all come into the C terminal but there could be exceptions on any day. EWR-PVD is served by United Express so it could potentially be out of C or A terminal. If you are all within the C terminal you should be fine as long as your flight is one time. Going C to A is a bit more of a challenge. The good news is that it is the end of your cruise so you will be on your way home. :)

Actually, our flight from ANC to EWR is indeed non-stop. It's a red-eye.

I just called United and we are flying into terminal C and out of terminal A. So yeah, not the best scenario.

Next flight into PVD isn't until 2pm, but there's one into BDL at 11:40. So at least we have some options. I still think we'd just rent a car and drive at that point.

Going to look at the terminal map now. Thank you everyone for your help!

I often fly from EWR on UA . I would never recommend a 45 minute connection time, particularly when it involves a United Express flight that could depart from Terminal A...for example I looked at today's flight schedule and one of the four flights from EWR to PVD departs from Terminal A.

Even if it's a Terminal C to Terminal C connection, even the slightest delay could lead to your baggage missing the connection even if you make it.

If you have a Terminal C to Terminal A connection, do not exit the air side to take the AirTrain from C to A. Doing so will require you to go through TSA clearance at A, which could take up to 2 hours based on the TSA mess at the airports lately. Stay on the air side and find the C gate where you board the bus connection that will take you to A, which keeps you in the secure side of the airport at all times. Unfortunately the gate for bus connection could be a long walk from your arriving flight's gate, cutting even further into the chances that you'll make your ongoing connection.

Just don't do this connection, even though United permits it.

Edit: OK...I see you got more information while I was typing this reply.

Edited by njhorseman

Actually, our flight from ANC to EWR is indeed non-stop. It's a red-eye.

I am not trying to call you a liar, but I checked United's timetable twice and I don't see a single non-stop flight on any Saturday or Sunday in June 2016.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I am not trying to call you a liar, but I checked United's timetable twice and I don't see a single non-stop flight on any Saturday or Sunday in June 2016.

You're assuming their flight is in June. There is a nonstop on Saturday, July 2. I checked some of the OP's other posts...they're on a June 24 seven night cruise, so they'll be returning in July...probably July 2.

You're assuming their flight is in June. There is a nonstop on Saturday, July 2. I checked some of the OP's other posts...they're on a June 24 seven night cruise, so they'll be returning in July...probably July 2.

Haha yes, that is exactly our flight... leaves 8:43pm on the 2nd and arrives the morning of the 3rd.

If you have a Terminal C to Terminal A connection, do not exit the air side to take the AirTrain from C to A. Doing so will require you to go through TSA clearance at A, which could take up to 2 hours based on the TSA mess at the airports lately. Stay on the air side and find the C gate where you board the bus connection that will take you to A, which keeps you in the secure side of the airport at all times. Unfortunately the gate for bus connection could be a long walk from your arriving flight's gate, cutting even further into the chances that you'll make your ongoing connection.

Just don't do this connection, even though United permits it.

Edit: OK...I see you got more information while I was typing this reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice without paying $200pp change fees. For that amount (200x5) I could probably get my local airport limo guy to come pick us up in Newark! hahaha

So what is this AirTrain of which you speak? Is it like the monorail-type thing they have in the Orlando & Atlanta airports? I did see that they have an A-C/C-A bus run. So you're saying the bus keeps us in "after security" mode, while the train would take us out and we'd have to get back in again? Do I understand that correctly? If so, thank you for the tip. It could be the thing that makes the difference!

I did look closely at the terminal maps and I see that the bus picks up in C1 and drops off in A2. I'll have to hope that our gates end up in those areas. Lots of finger crossing will be going on that day!

I am grateful that we are close enough to drive home, though (about 3 hrs). I would never have taken this connection somewhere out in the middle of the country. I realize I was taking a chance booking it, but it was a far better flight home from ANC than the alternatives.

If you do indeed miss your connection at Newark and don't wish to wait for the next available flight then you will have a hard time getting your luggage back at EWR if you decide to terminat there. They will eventually get it to you, but it will have to be manually found and rerouted which takes time.

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice without paying $200pp change fees. For that amount (200x5) I could probably get my local airport limo guy to come pick us up in Newark! hahaha

So what is this AirTrain of which you speak? Is it like the monorail-type thing they have in the Orlando & Atlanta airports? I did see that they have an A-C/C-A bus run. So you're saying the bus keeps us in "after security" mode, while the train would take us out and we'd have to get back in again? Do I understand that correctly? If so, thank you for the tip. It could be the thing that makes the difference!

I did look closely at the terminal maps and I see that the bus picks up in C1 and drops off in A2. I'll have to hope that our gates end up in those areas. Lots of finger crossing will be going on that day!

I am grateful that we are close enough to drive home, though (about 3 hrs). I would never have taken this connection somewhere out in the middle of the country. I realize I was taking a chance booking it, but it was a far better flight home from ANC than the alternatives.

Yes, the AirTrain is a monorail that takes you from terminal to terminal as well as to parking lots and a railroad station. It runs outside the secured area of the airline terminals so if you use it to get from C to A you'll have to pass through the TSA checkpoint in A.

The bus from C to A stays within the the secured area of the airport, so no need to pass through the TSA checkpoint if you use it.

Yes, the AirTrain is a monorail that takes you from terminal to terminal as well as to parking lots and a railroad station. It runs outside the secured area of the airline terminals so if you use it to get from C to A you'll have to pass through the TSA checkpoint in A.

The bus from C to A stays within the the secured area of the airport, so no need to pass through the TSA checkpoint if you use it.

Perfect. Thank you!

If you do indeed miss your connection at Newark and don't wish to wait for the next available flight then you will have a hard time getting your luggage back at EWR if you decide to terminat there. They will eventually get it to you, but it will have to be manually found and rerouted which takes time.

Yeah, I figured that... I know it's not as simple as grabbing a rental and hitting the road.

45 minutes between connecting flights at Newark... It seems a little risky, but the airline had me book it that way so I'm assuming it's doable.

I know this seems like a silly question, but will they have those of us with tight connections get off the plane first?

Is it doable? Yes, if your inbound flight is on time, you don't have any mobility issues, etc. you can do it. And that is all the airline really cares about when allowing you to book a flight. It just has to meet what they call "minimum connect time," which for most airlines is 35-45 min for a domestic connection. Doesn't mean it's advisable or guarantee you'll make it, it just means that if everything goes perfectly and there are no extenuating circumstances, it's "doable."

As for whether they will let you off first: My experience is that if the flight arrives on time, it means anyone onboard has a "legal" connection (i.e. one that meets minimum connect time) so they won't generally make any sort of effort to let anyone in particular deplane before anyone else.

If a flight arrives later than scheduled, the cabin crew will sometimes REQUEST that anyone who doesn't have a tight connection remain seated so others can hurry off, but in my experience those requests usually aren't very effective.

They may hold your connecting flight for a few minutes if they know you are on the way

Doubtful, for a domestic flight. Airlines tend to prioritize getting a flight out ON TIME, and regularly leave pax who arrive at the gate late. Are there exceptions? Certainly, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

It seems a little risky, but the airline had me book it that way so I'm assuming it's doable.

United booked me on an ultra short connection once.

I truly do not understand these posts. "The airline" doesn't book me. I book my choices with the airline. Granted, sometimes there are changes to the original itinerary that need to be dealt with. However, I would never select, nor allow any third party (which, like Voldemort, cannot be named), to book such a short, albeit, legal connection.

And to add a note of caution to those who think if they don't make the connection because their incoming flight is late the airline will put them on the next flight remember -- planes are flying full and there may not be seats on the next flight ( or next two or three). And your bigger problem in this regard is you don't just need one seat - you need five. Going from Dulles to Orlando a couple of years ago with DH, son, DIL, and granddaughter we had to wait until late the next day when we had weather delays affecting our flight. Sure there were plenty of flights to Orlando before then but none with five empty seats. What you at least have going for you is this is your return trip and you don't risk missing the cruise. Your backup plan to drive may be your best option.