Passports in the Caribbean

MTNestr

Check around the boards, this gets asked very frequently.

Most cruise lines will tell all you need to get off, and back on the ship are your ship's ID, and a "Government issued photo ID". Many people use their Driver's License in this capacity.

So, no, you don't need to take your passport. Some do, but you don't need to.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Last time we renewed our passports we also got passport cards. Take both when we cruise and leave our passports in the safe and take our passport cards with us when we go on shore. Maybe a bit over the top but it works for us.

I'm pretty sure that the primary, maybe only real, purpose of a passport is to allow you to be readmitted to the US. Cruise lines and airlines check it when leaving the country in order to be sure that you have it, so that you can be readmitted. I believe the theory behind this is that if you do not have it and are not readmitted, they are in effect stuck with you.

Having said that, it is desirable to have it with you in any foreign country simply because if you somehow get stranded, arrested or are in any other difficult, it helps to get assistance from a US Embassy or consulate. If you miss the ship, you would have a difficult time getting on an airplane to go home without the passport. Some people carry a duplicate copy. I don't know how effective that is. Personally, I would not set foot on foreign soil without it in my possession.

Cruise lines and airlines check it when leaving the country in order to be sure that you have it, so that you can be readmitted

According to the Dept of State and Princess, you may take a closed-loop cruise (beginning in a US port and ending in that same port) with a Passport Card. They are cheaper than the passport book, and valid for closed-loop cruises and readmission/driving through border checkpoints.

However, they are not valid for transocean, nor air travel.

The safest place for your passport is in your cabin safe. Carry a photocopy of the info page if it makes you feel better.

The really important thing to carry is the ship's daily paper. It gives the emergency contact number of the port you are visiting. It's come in handy more than once.

Edited by Grannycb

Last time we renewed our passports we also got passport cards. Take both when we cruise and leave our passports in the safe and take our passport cards with us when we go on shore. Maybe a bit over the top but it works for us.

We did the same the last time we renewed our passports! :)

We take our cruise cards, passport cards, and the contact information for the ship's agent in ports.

LuLu

I'm pretty sure that the primary, maybe only real, purpose of a passport is to allow you to be readmitted to the US. .....airlines check it when leaving the country in order to be sure that you have it, so that you can be readmitted...if you do not have it and are not readmitted, they are in effect stuck with you.

How very American. Have you not considered the possibility that airlines check it when leaving the country in order to be sure that you have it, so that you can be admitted to your destination country (as) if you do not have it and are not admitted, they are in effect stuck with you. :D

I must remember to tell the person in the black uniform at MIA, that "I'm pretty sure that the primary, maybe only real, purpose of my passport is to allow me to be readmitted to the UK". On the other hand, given the warning signs at US immigration control about not making jokes, it doesn't seem like a good idea, so I don't think I'll try. :eek:

Seriously, the attitude to transit cruise passengers throughout the Caribbean is that you are a 'citizen of the ship' and your primary ID is your cruise ship pass. However, if you miss the ship, then you may need something more substantial than your cruise pass in order to get through local border control and catch up with the ship.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We never carry our passports on Caribbean ports, but have always carried a copy of them just in case of emergency to "hopefully" expedite getting a new one if it would be necessary.

Edited by TLC535

For a while when we're new to cruising I took our passports whenever we got off but now I only take my ship card and drivers license.

I have read all the discussions here on the boards and decided I would be much more likely to lose my passport or have it stolen than to miss the ship.

My drivers license and ship card fit in one of those little plastic beach safes and I just tuck it into my swimsuit at the beaches and never have to worry about anyone stealing anything valuable.

According to the Dept of State and Princess, you may take a closed-loop cruise (beginning in a US port and ending in that same port) with a Passport Card. They are cheaper than the passport book, and valid for closed-loop cruises and readmission/driving through border checkpoints.

However, they are not valid for transocean, nor air travel.

I considered the passport cards when I renewed my passport last year but the only problem is that if you get separated from the ship you can't fly back to the US. It's almost like traveling with no passport when & if you actually need it.

My concern is what if there's a medical emergency or what if I miss the ship.

But from now on I will carry a copy of my Passport + my Drivers License and Credit Card + Ship Card. Might even consider a digital copy of my Passport & Drivers License and save it to my phone for quick display

My concern is what if there's a medical emergency or what if I miss the ship.

If you miss the ship, ship's personnel will go to your cabin and try to locate your passport, including looking in the safe. If found, they will give it to the port agent who will give it to you when you finally make it to the dock or otherwise contact them.

If you miss the ship, ship's personnel will go to your cabin and try to locate your passport, including looking in the safe. If found, they will give it to the port agent who will give it to you when you finally make it to the dock or otherwise contact them.

That helps!

On our last cruise at St Thomas Princess did leave a passenger behind. But they did wait an extra 30 minutes before leaving and repeadily announced his name on the ships PA System. We were about 100 yards out when we saw someone running but we did not stop. The passenger said the taxi took him to the wrong dock.

I do exactly the same thing! I LOVE my passport card and use it for identification EVERYWHERE rather than my driver's license. I prefer it as it doesn't list an address and doesn't have a magnetic strip that most places read to collect ALL of the information encoded on the strip. With the passport card, they have to manually type what they need.

Note to others: while the passport card is the ONLY ID required for customs while on a Caribbean cruise, it is NOT valid for air travel entry into the USA. So the passport in the safe is just in case there's a medical emergency requiring an airlift back to the USA.

I also got a passport card in addition to a passport book. I keep it in the RDF case it comes in and stick a credit card in there too and take them ashore.

It's true you can't fly with a passport card from another country but it's still a government ID that would be recognized internationally.

How very American. Have you not considered the possibility that airlines check it when leaving the country in order to be sure that you have it, so that you can be admitted to your destination country (as) if you do not have it and are not admitted, they are in effect stuck with you. :D

How very British to make a condescending statement like that. Even with a smiley face, it's offensive. :D

There, I feel better now ... my apologies to every other British subject, I just hate stereotyping.

Edited by beg3yrs

Check around the boards, this gets asked very frequently.

Most cruise lines will tell all you need to get off, and back on the ship are your ship's ID, and a "Government issued photo ID". Many people use their Driver's License in this capacity.

So, no, you don't need to take your passport. Some do, but you don't need to.

I agree about the statement above as far as identification.

It will, however, vary with the political climate of the world. We cruised shortly after "9/11" and re-entry requirements into the port/pier area were certainly raised, and I recall a passport being needed at one port at least.

For most Caribbean ports our ship card and Texas driver's licenses work fine, and many ports don't even check the photo ID. For Mediterranean and European ports we carry a passport.

It will, however, vary with the political climate of the world. We cruised shortly after "9/11" and re-entry requirements into the port/pier area were certainly raised, and I recall a passport being needed at one port at least.

For most Caribbean ports our ship card and Texas driver's licenses work fine, and many ports don't even check the photo ID. For Mediterranean and European ports we carry a passport.

9/11 was a different time in this sense. Today the Caribbean requires nothing more then the "government issued photo ID" and ship's ID.

There are other ports in the world that require a passport to come and go. St Petersburg, or Tunis, for example. But not the Caribbean.

At the time of my booking, Princess told me that, no, you do not need a passport for a closed loop itinerary. However, if you are just checking in with a DL, you will also need an original birth certificate.

Whether they check this at the terminal or not, I do not know. Just relaying the info from Princess, which was then confirmed by my TA.

At the time of my booking, Princess told me that, no, you do not need a passport for a closed loop itinerary. However, if you are just checking in with a DL, you will also need an original birth certificate.

That is correct for a closed loop Caribbean cruise.

This will be followed, no doubt, by a number of posts saying why you should have a passport instead.

When I first started travelling internationally I took my passport everywhere. Now, I am more likely to lock it in a safe as its real function is border crossing (even if that's on a plane). I do carry photo ID everywhere and a copy of the passport on my phone. Can't use it to fly, but should I need to get a new one while overseas, I would hope this might help speed the process.

I have only criused once, but before I did I read A LOT of threads on this topic and it seems most expereinced cruisers keep it locked up. I agree that you are more likely to loose it or have it stolen then miss the ship and need it to fly home or to the next port. I know people say if you miss the boat the ship will get your stuff and leave it for you -- I don't know anyone who has had this happen as I don't know anyone who missed the ship for any reason (all my friends are paranoid as me about that!).

I would only take the passport if I didn't have any other photo ID (Drivers License or Passport Card). And after reading that hint above I wish I had gotten a Passport Card when I renewed my passport last year...may have to get one as that is a really good tip!

For the Caribbean it's considered a closed loop trip so you don't need your passport to get on the ship. I do use my passport card as my second form of ID. But you only need your cruise card to get back on the ship.

If you do get left behind the ship will send someone to your cabin and get into the safe to take out your passport so I would suggest that you do put one in the safe. The photo copy is what I usually carry but every since Princess told me they would get my ID out of the safe I don't bother taking chances.

I do however make a photo copy of both front and back on any credit cards I have and keep it in the safe. If you have ever had your cards stolen you will know how hard it is to get the phone number of the card company to call and then they want your account number which you don't have anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums