Older Family Cruise

catesjaor

My wife and I took our first cruise last year on Norwegian Jewel to Mexico. It was a great cruise. We have decided to gift our parents upon retirement, a cruise with us. So it will be 6 of us going, possibly 8. If 8 go, then we will get 2 joining rooms or rooms close by. However, if only 6 of us go, what cruise ships offer great rooms and rates for 6. Some lines, if we have to get 2 rooms, are better off all 8 go, since the 3/4 guest on some lines are free (exc taxes/port chrg, etc.) We have no problem with 8 going, but we are paying for all of it but 2 people. So we would like to keep the cost down.

Our first cruise was a balcony, and we only used the balcony when we woke up and came into port, otherwise we never used it. Feels like a slight waste of money there, but it was a total of $200 upgrade from inside.

If it means upgrading to a suite, then the cost would out weight the benefit of 2 rooms. We don't mind inside rooms since we will just be sleeping there. As a matter of fact, that was all we did in our room on our first cruise. We spent more time out and about, walking, eating, shopping, and everyday in port we ere in town all day.

Thanks everyone. And I noticed most lines only let you quote for 4 people without calling them. I hate calling just to get a simple quote.

Time of year and destination don't matter, however we would prefer a fall thru spring and southern destination (Mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean.)

Thanks

Jeff

There are few lines with any rooms that sleep 6, and those would be a suite or family suite. You are far better doing two rooms for 4, or even four insides for 2. Have you ever shared a room with your parents? Does anyone snore? EM

Yes, Have shared hotel rooms with my parents, as well as my wife's parents and aunt and uncle. Our first cruise was 4 of us in one balcony room, plus the hotel nights before and after the cruise. Not to mention countless other trips we have made together.

So I have no bother with sharing rooms with other adults.

The few times in the past 20 years I have tried a TA, they could not compete with some of the deals I have found elsewhere, including buying every part of a trip separately. Our last "BIG" trip was to Disneyland with 12 people total, TA was almost 40% more expensive than we got. Even Expedia and the like couldn't beat the prices we got by not bundling. So, I don't expect that one would be of much help here either.

Our first cruise was just under $1000 per person, for everything, including the cruise, onboard expenses, hotels, gas, taxis, food, fun in Long Beach the day before and spending money in Mexico. Not to bad having separated it all out. And a total of 10 days vacation.

I was looking for lowest cost on the ship. But so far what I have found has been 2 separate rooms with 4 in each. May stick with that option that way there is 2 bathrooms and at least 1 room will be quiet for part of the evenings or days for relaxation.

Edited by catesjaor

Something else to consider if you are going to shove 4 people in an inside room (especially your parents or in-laws). Compared to a hotel room, an inside room is going to be small. Plus, two people are going to be on upper bunks.

I'd really rethink this.

As a retiree, maybe a bit older than your parents, let me say that sharing a small cabin with my DH and two others is NOT my idea of a vacation. Worked when I was in college, but not any longer. Have no interest in climbing into a Pullman or struggling to get up from a low sofabed. Would prefer at least a window so I can see the ocean. Not quite as active as I once was, so relaxing on the balcony, for me, is something I most enjoy on a ship. I know your heart is in the right place, but consider those for whom you are purchasing the cruise.