fjords?

poss

I think I know the answer to this question (not the answer I wish it would be), but I'll inquire anyway. And it makes sense to post separately rather than add on to the Tc-started interesting thread on new itineraries.

We've never been to Norway (and not many places in Sweden) and have long wanted to see these areas. We don't so much like cold weather, but we've loved every time we've been in Alaska-- all that wonderful scenery. I associate Norway with fjords, one of the main reasons we've wanted to visit. There's a new Explorer itinerary, Copenhagen-Oslo, June 24, 2018. Though it'd cost more than we're used to paying for a cruise, and though I'm not chomping at the bit to sail Explorer (love Mariner and Voyager, Mariner especially, because of the showers), I was thinking of splurging for this itinerary since I'll be turning 75 right around that time.

BUT: As I looked more and more carefully at the excursions in all those nifty-sounding ports, it seemed to me that it wasn't about fjords at all. I don't think a single one of the 12 days has fjord sailing.

In short (sorry for my long-windedness), I'm hoping that people knowledgeable about an itinerary like this will ring in to confirm or correct my impression that the scenery won't be what I thought it'd be when I thought of Norway.

Thanks! (Of course I wish we'd done that Capt. Dag cruise some years back. I believe that itinerary really did do fjords.)

Poss I was drawn to that itinerary too. And like you when I read the info for each port I felt the same as you regarding the fiord sailing. I would be pleased of someone could clarify this too. It is expensive, but all the ones I like the look of next year seem to have gone way up in price and most definitely the Explorer cruises. A special cruise for you with a special birthday is lovely. Jean.

We were on "Captain Dag's Homecoming" and it wasn't that much different from the Explorer cruise except the latter doesn't go as far north (to Svalbard and the edge of the ice).

The two best known fjords, Geiranger Fjord and Sognefjord, are on the Explorer cruise (perhaps not obvious, but Geiranger and Flam are at the end of the respective fjords). They both are quite long transits and, of course, you do them both ways so your enjoyment is doubled. These, plus Oslo Fjord (also on the Explorer cruise since it is the entrance to Oslo...not as dramatic as the others), were the only fjords on the earlier Voyager cruise. The ports we liked best, especially Bergen, are also on the cruise along with some others we haven't visited.

This sounds like a very nice cruise so I think you'll like it if you liked Alaska (think of it as Alaska on steroids).

Edited by Portolan

Portolan, thanks. That makes it much more appealing now. We have been to Alaska three times and never seem to tire of it, so I am sure we would certainly enjoy the Explorer itinerary. Just need to save the £ tho as it's a bit pricey. Thanks, Jean.

Agree with Portolan. Plus, you don't need an excursion to see fjords as they all around you. We did find Norway considerably colder than Alaska (my avatar shows the outfits my DH and I had to wear for a crab excursion to keep us warm).

Although our itinerary was longer and went further north, this was our favorite itinerary. Enjoy.

Edited by Travelcat2

It does sound like a great cruise for us. Cold weather clothing is my usual attire I am the original cold girl, so I will be well togged out there. It's been on our radar for many a year, so quite possibly if we can arrange time off together and can afford it we might manage. Thanks for your reply and info. Jean.

There's obviously something I'm just not "getting." When I look at the ports/excursions, the only things I see about fjords are bus trips. I'd had in mind excursions like, say, Tracy Arm, i.e. where one goes through those handsome surroundings on some kind of boat. I suppose that looking down at Geiranger (e.g.) while going around all the hair-pin turns on a bus (as the tour is described) could be handsome, but ain't the same.

So what am I not understanding? Thanks-- and sorry to be so "needy." :confused:

Fjords? The best ones, by far are in Chile. Some take all day to transit and most end at a large glacier. In this part of the world you travel for days without site of anything built by humans, including other ship. Chilean fjords put Alaska's to shame.

This is not to say that Norway's are not interesting. There is a lot of history and the ShoreEx's are scenic. But no glaciers and not all that long.

j

UUNET Bill:: Djodje :)

Poss - I think in Scott's answer, he stated that there aren't any real 'fjord excursions' because the entire sail-in, sail-out is a fjord excursion. I'm paraphrasing, but I think that's the gist of it. I was looking at this one, too, and already had it saved in my profile - I'm with you, I want to maximize the scenery on a cruise like this one, and I didn't get that from the excursion descriptions - but I think like Scott said, you get up close and personal on the sail-in/out.

Getting up north, or way down south is more on my bucket list than my wife's - but we both want to see as much as possible when we sail.

I know this is the Regent board, but there were a few itineraries on one of the other lines' sites that went WAY up north, to the North Cape, in fact - that one looked like a possibility for us as well. But this one really does look like a nice cruise - it's still on my 'Saved' list. :D

poss: I guess I'm not understanding your question. When I think of Tracy Arm, I think of sailing on the Navigator (which is only done early in the season when the ice does not prevent it from sailing all the way to the glacier). rather than on a small boat.

I suppose you can see the fjords from a bus but we viewed them from the ship. When you are on a small boat in the waters of Norway, it is extremely cold (which is why we were given insulated suits to wear when we had to cross the water to where the tent and crab feast was set up). Are you thinking of a heated boat?

I found this one on the Navigator -- It's longer than I want to do at 20 days. Goes around the the North Cape and into Russia.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV180801/summary/default.aspx

Definitely a better itinerary and lower per diem for those that can take off work for that long (when I still worked, I took time off without pay in order to do a couple of "special" vacations - it just takes planning, saving and a good boss). Also, the Navigator goes in August and does not have a children's program which, at least for us, is a big plus.

JMARINER: Your comments about Chile are particularly interesting as we are booking a sailing on the Explorer that begins in Chile. I've heard that the seas can be rough in that area. Without getting this thread off track, could you confirm or deny this? Thank you!

Much appreciate the continued postings.

Tc: I might be mis-remembering, but one of the times we were on Mariner in Alaska, we had a separate excursion all the way up Tracy Arm (one of my favorite excursions of that whole trip). Another, much smaller boat, met Mariner on the way to Juneau and some of us embarked on that nice tour boat and later met up with the ship in Juneau.

IndiTravler: Yes, I'd noticed that itinerary. In fact we could probably do 20 days (for the cost of 12 on Explorer!), but I'd not want to sail Navigator for the first time on a trip that long. For one thing, I'd miss having the choice of dining venues. Also, I did some research on the Russia ports, and none of them sounds at all appealing. Thanks, though, for the thought.

Just to be very clear...you sail all the way up both Geiranger and Songefjord. They both end abruptly and there isn't any further to go (unlike Tracy Fjord). The entire transits are most akin to the section through the Inside Passage Narrows in Alaska except they go on much, much longer. The Captain earns his/her pay...actually, the pilot they'll have on board. The ship will make the full transit both ways in both fjords.

The excursions offered are from the dock in Flam (Songefjord) or mooring (Geiranger) up into the highlands overlooking the fjords with some great views of the ship. In Flam you can also take the Flamsbana train which is an amazing trip up to the highlands. One time of the times we've taken the Flamsbana (we've been there twice) we opted for a partial hike back which was great. One word of caution about any excursions which include hikes: they seem to be using the Norwegian rating system. We are avid hikers, but their easy was moderate and moderate was challenging...didn't offer (fortunately) any challenging hikes!

Having done both the Norwegian and Chilean fjords on SS I feel qualified to chime in. The best part of fjords, including those on the entrance to Kotor, are seen from the ship. Most N fjords include a relatively long sail in ending at a port. The excursions then add to the experience by taking you to scenic spots in the mountains or, say, to the Flam railway.

Most of the Chilean fjords on the other hand do not end with a port and the experience is in the transit. The trip into the glacier at Raphael Laguna is spectacular. DW and I have never been able to choose which trip was more rewarding, although we agree it is tough to beat the overnight to Torres del Paine in Chile.

Don't belittle Kotor either great experience but much shorter.

I am so appreciative of the continued input, and I'm sorry to be such a doofus, but I think I still don't understand.

Portolan and newlondon: If the ship comes to the port of Geiranger at 7:00 A.M., that would mean that the transit of the GFjord is in the middle of the night, no? (I know that it's plenty light up there, but I'd definitely be in bed.) So it seems to me that in fact we wouldn't be experiencing the sail up the fjord. (I really am feeling dumber and dumber.) Btw, if you know that area well, do you agree with Tc that the Navigator itinerary is better?

Tc: Why do you think the Navigator itinerary is better? I just don't know the area at all, so hoping for as much feedback as possible. But I'm sort of hesitant to book Navigator. If a very appealing itinerary were 10-12 days, sure.

I love Kotor!

I am so appreciative of the continued input, and I'm sorry to be such a doofus, but I think I still don't understand.

Portolan and newlondon: If the ship comes to the port of Geiranger at 7:00 A.M., that would mean that the transit of the GFjord is in the middle of the night, no? (I know that it's plenty light up there, but I'd definitely be in bed.) So it seems to me that in fact we wouldn't be experiencing the sail up the fjord. (I really am feeling dumber and dumber.) Btw, if you know that area well, do you agree with Tc that the Navigator itinerary is better?

Tc: Why do you think the Navigator itinerary is better? I just don't know the area at all, so hoping for as much feedback as possible. But I'm sort of hesitant to book Navigator. If a very appealing itinerary were 10-12 days, sure.

I love Kotor!

Poss,

Yes, the arrival time in Geiranger implies an early transit in (might be affected by tides?), but as you note, it'll be light and I'd sure wake up early for the passage. The sail out will be in the middle of the day. Cruising in northern Norway can have some strange times. On Dag's Homecoming, we were approaching the pack ice at 80 degrees north at midnight...and then had to turn back for a helicopter evacuation of a stricken passenger at 2 AM. Quite an exciting night! (the passenger survived). Since we were well above the Arctic Circle and it was at the summer solstice, we didn't see the sun set for a week. The ships have very opaque curtains (at least Voyager...I'd expect the same on Explorer) since the days will be very long.

I think you misread TC about Navigator (or I have). I think she is referring to the Navigator when it was in Alaska and sailed into Tracy Arm. The Navigator cruises in 2017/18 barely touch Norway, and none of the major fjords, so not an alternative for what I believe you want to do.

And, yes, Kotor is great, but the fjord is much wider, shorter and has less imposing terrain on the sides than Norway. We'll be back there in April and this time I plan on walking the city walls (for those who haven't been there, look it up...not exactly a stroll like Dubrovnik!)

Edited by Portolan

JMARINER: Your comments about Chile are particularly interesting as we are booking a sailing on the Explorer that begins in Chile. I've heard that the seas can be rough in that area. Without getting this thread off track, could you confirm or deny this? Thank you!

I have done the Chilean fjords twice.

The first time was on the inaugural Mariner Circle South America in 2001. When the ship left Valparaiso, Chile we ran into a dry storm with winds coming off the Andes and blowing out to sea. Winds were well over 100km. And this churn the ocean into 12-15m (40-45 feet) sea. On to p of that the wind caused the ship to have a 5+ degrees. This lasted for about 2 days until be entered the first fjord. It was by far the roughest sea I ever encounter, including several hurricanes.

But, two years ago (2015) I did the same area again on the Voyager PPT-Lima-BA. The ocean was as calm as can be for most that trip. We were weather canceled out of the Falkland Island though.

Big waves just add to the adventure. I have been across the Tasman sea between NZ and Aus several time and it have been very calm, while most other, almost always, report very rough sea there too.

I have a short video clip of the big waves. I'll see if I can pare it down and post.

j

Scott, at this point I think I'm confusing myself. I initially was discussing the Navigator sailing Tracy Arm and then changed to the Copenhagen to Amsterdam itinerary below:

Aug 1 Wed Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00 PM

Aug 2 Thu Lysekil, Sweden 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Aug 3 Fri Stavanger, Norway 10:00 AM 7:00 PM

Aug 4 Sat Bergen, Norway 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Aug 5 Sun Ålesund, Norway 8:00 AM 7:00 PM

Aug 6 Mon Trondheim, Norway 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Aug 7 Tue Cruising the Baltic Sea

Aug 8 Wed Hammerfest, Norway 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Aug 9 Thu Murmansk, Russia 12:00 PM 9:00 PM

Aug 10 Fri Cruising the White Sea

Aug 11 Sat Solovetsky Islands, RussiaAnchor Port 8:00 AM 7:00 PM

Aug 12 Sun Archangel, Russia 8:00 AM 7:00 PM

Aug 13 Mon Cruising the Barents Sea

Aug 14 Tue Honningsvåg, Norway 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

Aug 15 Wed Cruising the Norwegian Sea

Aug 16 Thu Kristiansund, Norway 8:00 AM 3:00 PM

Aug 17 Fri Lerwick (Shetland Islands), United Kingdom 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

Aug 18 Sat Edinburgh (Rosyth), United Kingdom 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

Aug 19 Sun New Castle, United Kingdom 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Aug 20 Mon Amsterdam, Netherlands 1:00 PM

Aug 21 Tue Amsterdam, Netherlands

We were extremely impressed with Honningsvag, Norway because of the Crab Tour (pricey but can be paid with OBC's). You are right, however, this itinerary does not go to Geiranger which is also a great port. I also like the stops in the U.K. and the overnight in the Netherlands. In terms of Russia, of the ports listed, we have only been to Murmansk and were not impressed (although we did not take some any of the longer excursions that sound wonderful).

As much as I love the Explorer and somewhat dislike the Navigator, for this itinerary, (considering our likes and dislikes), we would select the Navigator itinerary.

I guess it depends upon what the OP likes. I would do a Google search of these ports to see which offers more of what they are looking for.

P.S. The Land of the Midnight Sun does play havoc with your system. Walking into the Horizon or Observation Lounge at 11:00 p.m. and having the sun in your eyes told my system that it was time to wake up. Very confusing:-)

Edited by Travelcat2