RCCL refund question

Mikä1539185720

We just booked a cruise departing Dec 16. We booked it Monday night. Well this morning, I go in to work and get laid off. We didnt buy the insurance, I'm assuming that if I cancel, they're going to take 50%?

Sorry to hear about the job. I am also out of a job right now - 2 months in and not a nibble on a new offer. Go in strong and, hopefully, something will come your way. I was lucky - I was about to pull the trigger on a HAL cruise and then I didn't have the job.

You know, I'm afraid that you will lose whatever they say you will lose this close in. But, since you booked within the week, I would certainly give them a call - it won't hurt.

We just booked a cruise departing Dec 16. We booked it Monday night. Well this morning, I go in to work and get laid off. We didnt buy the insurance, I'm assuming that if I cancel, they're going to take 50%?

You'll get more answers from those familiar with RCCL if you post on that subforum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

However, for something like this, you really should contact the cruise line directly.

Things don't look good after final payment date.. Use your unemployment check and take the cruise..

Bookings on or after March 7, 2016

5 nights or longer

90+ No charges

89-57 Days Deposit amount

56-29 Days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

28-15 Days 75% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

14 Days or less No refund except for taxes and fees

1-4 Nights

75+ No charges

74-57 Days Deposit amount

56-29 Days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

28-15 Days 75% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

14 Days or less No refund except for taxes and fees

I'm sorry for the job loss and the bad timing makes it worse. But if you booked this close to the sailing date then yes, you are out whatever is the cancellation penalty percentage per the voyage contract that few bother to read.

We see cases similar to this here from time to time but it usually involves some health problem rather than a job loss. Somebody didn't buy insurance but now they have to cancel because they need immediate medical care. Then they come here to complain that the the evil, greedy cruise line has no compassion for their situation. This may be an unusual situation for you but cruise lines hear of situations like this every day. The closer a cancellation comes to the sailing date the smaller the pool of people who could sail in their place - people who don't need visas and can get time off. If they didn't charge a cancellation penalty they would go bankrupt.

You're paying a heavy price you cannot well afford but this is what insurance is for.

Edited by BlueRiband

Did you just book it or did you pay for it in full? If you haven't paid for it yet you might be more able to work something out. Ask your Travel Agent for help.

With this being so close to sailing, they probably had to pay in full when they booked.

OP, truly sorry for you having been laid off. Hopefully, a job will come your way quickly.

What I find is unfair is that if they rebook that room they give the person that had to cancel no part of their payment back they do nothing to midagate the damages and they are receiving double fare on the same room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm assuming you had to pay in full since you're within 90 days of your sail date. Since you didn't buy the insurance you can't get any money back. Might as well go and enjoy the cruise, just try not to spend much onboard & do excursions on your own to keep costs down. I'm sure it'll be difficult to enjoy yourself knowing you're out of a job but you can always relax, rejuvenate & look for a new job with a clear & refreshed mind once you get back. Maybe think of it more as a sabbatical than a lay off! [emoji16]

What I find is unfair is that if they rebook that room they give the person that had to cancel no part of their payment back they do nothing to midagate the damages and they are receiving double fare on the same room....

How is it unfair? The cruise line held that cabin off the market. If they do sell it it is probably at a reduced fare compared to an advanced booking. If the original passenger paid $1200 and cancelled, then the cruise line re-sold it for $700, do you think the original passenger would be happy to get back $700? I don't think so. Instead of being happy to make some recovery they would then complain that the cruise line "kept" $500 of their money and would demand proof that it resold for so little. What you propose is an unworkable accounting and legal nightmare.

A contract is a contract. The T&Cs are there for those who bother to read them and anybody who thinks this is "unfair" can choose to give somebody else their vacation dollars.

Edited by BlueRiband

How long is the cruise ??

There may not be many hiring the week before Christmas so go & enjoy

Get short term job to help tide you over

When DH was made redundant (at 47) just before Christmas one year he worked stuffing flyers into the newspapers for minimum wage until something better came along

You need to research and do the math on buying "cancel for any reason" insurance now and then canceling in the near future.

Not sure how that works

Usually they want the invoice with the date of purchase for the cruise on it

Buying cancellation insurance after the fact might invalidate it

Not sure how that works

Usually they want the invoice with the date of purchase for the cruise on it

Buying cancellation insurance after the fact might invalidate it

CPT Trips recommended that for future bookings. The OP is out of luck here. One cannot buy fire insurance if the house has already burned down.

How is it unfair? The cruise line held that cabin off the market. If they do sell it it is probably at a reduced fare compared to an advanced booking. If the original passenger paid $1200 and cancelled, then the cruise line re-sold it for $700, do you think the original passenger would be happy to get back $700? I don't think so. Instead of being happy to make some recovery they would then complain that the cruise line "kept" $500 of their money and would demand proof that it resold for so little. What you propose is an unworkable accounting and legal nightmare.

A contract is a contract. The T&Cs are there for those who bother to read them and anybody who thinks this is "unfair" can choose to give somebody else their vacation dollars.

I own 13 rental properties and rent them on a year lease which is a contract if the lease is broken in the 3rd month I don't get to collect the rest of the year lease. I only can collect up to 3 months additional, if I re rent the property in one month I can only charge the previous tenant one month, the purpose of forfeiting is to make you whole not make you a bonanza, the cruise lines get away with it because they are not subject to US contract law. If you reserve a hotel room for a week and cancel at the last minute you only get charged for one night not the whole week! If they can re sell the cabin there should some refund to the first party!

Edited by goldenrod

I own 13 rental properties and rent them on a year lease which is a contract if the lease is broken in the 3rd month I don't get to collect the rest of the year lease. I only can collect up to 3 months additional, if I re rent the property in one month I can only charge the previous tenant one month, the purpose of forfeiting is to make you whole not make you a bonanza, the cruise lines get away with it because they are not subject to US contract law. If you reserve a hotel room for a week and cancel at the last minute you only get charged for one night not the whole week!

There are hotels (and here in the USA) where one forfeits the FULL amount, for all reserved nights, if one cancels.

In at least one case, that kicks in 60 days before arrival.

Those are their terms. Don't like it? Stay elsewhere.

There are hotels (and here in the USA) where one forfeits the FULL amount, for all reserved nights, if one cancels.

Those are their terms. Don't like it? Stay

Those are their terms. Don't like it? Stay

Those are charged by the reservation companies like Expedia that are selling the rooms at big discounts. The cancel fee goes to them not the hotel in most cases

Those are charged by the reservation companies like Expedia that are selling the rooms at big discounts. The cancel fee goes to them not the hotel in most cases

Sorry, but these are reservations made directly with the hotels.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Expedia or any other third party.

We stay at two of these every year, and are *very* familiar with the terms.

The hotels also stress these terms immediately before processing advance payment.

There are others we've stayed at that will charge a 50% penalty for *all* nights. Again, directly with the hotel, not some third party.

Sorry, but these are reservations made directly with the hotels.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Expedia or any other third party.

We stay at two of these every year, and are *very* familiar with the terms.

The hotels also stress these terms immediately before processing advance payment.

There are others we've stayed at that will charge a 50% penalty for *all* nights. Again, directly with the hotel, not some third party.

And they can't resell that room it must be held vacant for you that whole time you paid for! but the cruise line can resell my $12000 dollar suite and give nothing to the first party who had to cancel it's called unjust enrichment in the law!

Quote from Goldenrod:

And they can't resell that room it must be held vacant for you that whole time you paid for! but the cruise line can resell my $12000 dollar suite and give nothing to the first party who had to cancel it's called unjust enrichment in the law!

Nope.

There is no agreement that if one is a "no show" that the room would be held.

Quite the opposite.

It is stated that if one is a no-show' date=' the entire reservation is cancelled.[/u']

All of this is in writing.

However, IF one called and specified that one was going to arrive late, then I'm quite sure they'd have the same room available for the late arrival.

But they could sell that room for the prior night(s) if they wished, given that one would have already stated one wouldn't be there then.

I suppose that if someone in this situation kept calling late each evening, continually saying they'd be arriving "the next day", then one could prevent them from reselling the room.

These are 5 star hotels in very desirable and busy locations, so chances are there would be last minute inquiries much of the time.

We are *very* familiar with these locations and the specific hotels, and have been staying at each for quite a few years.

As long as the hotels make their policies known and get signoff from the prospective guests, there is nothing stopping them from having such policies (unless there are some peculiar local laws, I suppose).