Disability and crusing?

Krydstosser

My mother have a disability/handicap with her legs and need an Electric scooter if she should going on a cruise, but where can you rent those? I am from Denmark so please dont mind my spelling [emoji4]

I have seen these light weight scooters on Cruiseships, maybe i should have asked [emoji17]

If Its posible she would like to Cruise from Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Can you help?

CareVacations - Phone: 1.877.478.7827

Special Needs at Sea 1.800.513.4515

These are two of the places I have looked at to rent a scooter. There is also a disabled forum you might want to look at for other ideas.

One other suggestion, you might want to email Carnival if your mom has any needs while cruising. That way they are aware of her situation in advance. [emoji4]

Hope you have a wonderful time!

- Cindy

Edited by Gr8DanesMom

My mother have a disability/handicap with her legs and need an Electric scooter if she should going on a cruise, but where can you rent those? I am from Denmark so please dont mind my spelling [emoji4]

I have seen these light weight scooters on Cruiseships, maybe i should have asked [emoji17]

If Its posible she would like to Cruise from Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Can you help?

Try this site: http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

Or Google this: "rent mobility scooter for cruise".

hope that helps.

By the way, my daughter & her family returned to the US after a year in Aarhus. We loved visiting there.

Try this site: http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

Or Google this: "rent mobility scooter for cruise".

hope that helps.

By the way, my daughter & her family returned to the US after a year in Aarhus. We loved visiting there.

Its allways nice to hear that you like Denmark [emoji4]

Thanks, have you any experience with this Company ? On Its facebook site there are many angry customers....

I avoid facebook like the plague, but that's just me.

As far as I know, those two companies are the ones that Carnival has agreements with. If you rent through them, the scooter will be waiting in your cabin when you board, and you just leave it there when you disembark. If you arrange through someone else, you have to make arrangements for delivery and drop off. There will be wheelchairs and crew to push for embarkation and disembarkation, so you won't need the scooter then. Be sure to book an accessible cabin, as the scooter must be stored inside the cabin, and most scooters won't fit through a standard cabin doorway.

I should add that, until the recent disability accessibility settlement is fully implemented, the scooter will not be allowed on tenders, if there is a tender port on your itinerary. You may want to rent a manual wheelchair from these two companies at the same time, if you are planning on a lot of shore excursions or there is tendering, as most taxis won't take a scooter.

I avoid facebook like the plague, but that's just me.

As far as I know, those two companies are the ones that Carnival has agreements with. If you rent through them, the scooter will be waiting in your cabin when you board, and you just leave it there when you disembark. If you arrange through someone else, you have to make arrangements for delivery and drop off. There will be wheelchairs and crew to push for embarkation and disembarkation, so you won't need the scooter then. Be sure to book an accessible cabin, as the scooter must be stored inside the cabin, and most scooters won't fit through a standard cabin doorway.

Thanks, very good information [emoji4]

Thanks, have you any experience with this Company ? On Its facebook site there are many angry customers....

I'm not seeing "many angry customers" on their FB page. A few yes, but they have an overall approval rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars. Only 1 complaint can be found on the Better Business Bureau website and that complaint was resolved and closed.

They are one of the top-rated (and often recommended) rental companies servicing the cruise industry. If they were a poorly performing company, they would not have the support of the CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) or the public.

I'm not seeing "many angry customers" on their FB page. A few yes, but they have an overall approval rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars. Only 1 complaint can be found on the Better Business Bureau website and that complaint was resolved and closed.

They are one of the top-rated (and often recommended) rental companies servicing the cruise industry. If they were a poorly performing company, they would not have the support of the CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) or the public.

Angry was maybe a wrong word, but the first word i my mind to explain that some had problems so this was not fair...sorry [emoji4]

I should add that, until the recent disability accessibility settlement is fully implemented, the scooter will not be allowed on tenders, if there is a tender port on your itinerary. You may want to rent a manual wheelchair from these two companies at the same time, if you are planning on a lot of shore excursions or there is tendering, as most taxis won't take a scooter.

Some ships do have tenders for wheeled devices. Look on HAL and Princess. The only roll-on tender for Carnival (that I know of) is for Catalina on the four day cruises out of Los Angeles. They're now using old Catalina Ferries.

Many scooters are too wide for a regular cabin door. Need to get a handicapped cabin for a wider door. Carnival has Modified and Fully Accessible cabins. Make sure you book the correct kind.

The Cruising Disabled board has lots of info about cruising with mobility devices.

• 1 month later...

If you have not chosen a cruise line, check the boards for those that work best with whatever her disability is. If it is just the scooter, then check for things like, height of threshholds - my Carnival cruise had very high threshholds causing regular bumps as you roll along, and there were very narrow isles to get to the buffet, so running over someone's foot is hard to avoid. I did avoid it somehow, but was awful! Royal Caribbean had nice, low threshholds, but with the promenade on (at least) one of their ships, the accessible cabins were on the deck where you had to take an elevator to get anywhere - the shops were down 3 steps, so you had to wait long times for an elevator to do anything. Norwegian was very accommodating, even including a special elevator pass that took you right down to the dining hall avoiding crowds and rolling directly onto the floor - very nice. All had handicap spaces to watch the shows in the theatre; however, very little room and very few seats in most, and, all the way at the top, so hard to see.

First cruise with the chair was difficult and frustrating - most people rush onto the elevators ahead of you, leaving no room, and you have to wait until everything is empty to get anywhere. Knowing that though, makes it easier.

All in all, it was still very much worth the effort, as long as I realized I wouldn't do and see all I had before! Just limit the activities so there is lots of time to get around. So many wonderful sights, sounds, smells and tastes, and I wouldn't trade those bad experiences for anything if it meant giving up cruising!!

You will need to book an accessible cabin, as you cannot leave the scooter out in the hallway, and most regular cabins aren't big enough to have a scooter in the cabin. If you can, I highly recommend that your mom get some practice using a scooter before you use one on the ship, because they're not as easy to safely use, and you really need practice before going out in public. Those who are frequent scooter users can always spot the new scooter users because they don't seem to know what they're doing, and I have seen inexperienced scooter users injure people.

We have used both scooter rental companies, and have been very satisfied.

First of all, I would suggest that your mother check her eligibility first. I realize that Denmark does have different guide-lines for what they provide under medical. My cousin who lives in Nivå was provided a large mobility scooter because of his physical condition and the fact that he was employed. For travel, he bought a small mobility. As far as renting a scooter, I feel it is more practical to spend that money on purchasing one. Denmark does have good wheelchair accessible public transportation, except for city buses.

All cruise lines have a Special Needs department. If your mother has a scooter or any form of mobile device, you need to book an accessible (handicap) cabin. Suggest that you avoid Carnival. With a few exceptions, Carnival has the worse accessible cabins.

For a departure port, I recommend either Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Assuming she would have her own scooter, Port Canaveral does not offer much in the line of accessible transportation to or from the port.

My traveling companion and I are sailing on the Serenade OTS, departing Fort Lauderdale on April 28 for Copenhagen. We will stay on the ship for a Norwegian Fjords cruise and then spend a few days in Copenhagen visiting family. We plan on using the train for local transportation.

May you all have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

If your mother has a scooter or any form of mobile device, you need to book an accessible (handicap) cabin.

That's not necessarily true.

The scooter has to be able to pass through the doorway, and be parked in the cabin. There are some non-accessible cabins on some ships that will serve that purpose.

I have not yet needed a handicap cabin, but have been renting a scooter for several cruises now.

That's not necessarily true.

The scooter has to be able to pass through the doorway, and be parked in the cabin. There are some non-accessible cabins on some ships that will serve that purpose.

I have not yet needed a handicap cabin, but have been renting a scooter for several cruises now.

That is very true. However, if in a standard cabin, a scooter does take up valuable space, thus the individual(s) are immediately cramped. It would be so much easier for everyone if the HC cabins were not necessary. But the average person with a walking disability really needs those grab bars. Even though I can walk, there are times I would not attempt to take a step without something to hold onto. I would not ever suggest anyone with a walking issue book a standard cabin. We have done it a number of times, but not any more. Since we enjoy cruising, we have pushed ourselves by booking standard cabins. No more!

I think it is wonderful that you are able to use standard cabins. You have so many more opportunities than the majority. But please remember that not all have your abilities and most making inquiries are asking because of limitations.

Betty

But please remember that not all have your abilities and most making inquiries are asking because of limitations.

I'll consider myself duly scolded.

I do think it's important, however, to let others know that they may have options if they are still somewhat able, and the handicap cabins are all booked. To say they have to have a handicap cabin cuts down on the options for some, because it isn't necessarily true.

I'll consider myself duly scolded.

I do think it's important, however, to let others know that they may have options if they are still somewhat able, and the handicap cabins are all booked. To say they have to have a handicap cabin cuts down on the options for some, because it isn't necessarily true.

I couldn't agree more. To get a cabin in my budget, I often book after final payment. Handicap cabins are usually long gone by then. The joy I get from cruising is not diminished because of the minor inconvenience of storing a mobility device in a standard cabin. Also, I have noticed that ships have places to store scooters that will not fit in a standard cabin.

I have also found that showers have some type of hand hold bar. It is probably to help if the ship gets in turbulent seas. That has been more than sufficient for me.

Lesa

I have used a scooter for my husband on our last two cruises. I ordered them online from http://www.specialneedsatsea.com and we have had no problems at all.

We second their comment.:) Great means of "walking" those large ships, and very convenient. Waiting in your stateroom when you board and you can leave it in the room when you do your final disembark.:D

Neverthought

I just came off NCL's Breakaway with my sister. We had an accessible cabin, but I noticed several locations (mostly on the lower decks when we were going ashore) where there were rental scooters that clearly wouldn't fit through the doorway of a regular cabin charging in hallways. This surprised me.

Edited by jpcello