Crazy Internet Question

torwa

I will be on Carnival Sunshine in February. I am also going on a voluntary layoff from my company for the month of February. Does anyone know which package I would need to purchase for 1 day so I could certify for my unemployment benefits? Or, I guess I could just pay by the minute? I am already planning to get the Social package for the entire cruise. If it matters, the day I will need to certify we are scheduled to be in Grand Turk, perhaps there is wifi there? UGH, what a strange scenario. Any help is appreciated.

There is wifi in Grand Turk, but dont count on getting there for something that important. Ships divert for weather all the time. Also, even if you do get there, several places that have free wifi have been reported on these boards as being totally crappy. Try Jacks Shack, down the beach, or several shops in the port area.

My approach to this would be to plan to use free wifi, if I can get it, if not then pay on the ship to make sure you get what you need.

You can upgrade your plan to the middle plan to do this. I am not sure if you can do it for 1 day or if it will have to be the rest of the cruise. We rarely get the internet anymore since we want to unplug. Worst case, you will have to pay alittle more the rest of the cruise, and be able to go to more websites.

I know on our Trans cruise, we only needed the middle plan for 1 day, and we were able to do that... just not sure about if we already had a plan, going up, then back down.

There is wifi in Grand Turk, but dont count on getting there for something that important. Ships divert for weather all the time. Also, even if you do get there, several places that have free wifi have been reported on these boards as being totally crappy. Try Jacks Shack, down the beach, or several shops in the port area.

My approach to this would be to plan to use free wifi, if I can get it, if not then pay on the ship to make sure you get what you need.

You can upgrade your plan to the middle plan to do this. I am not sure if you can do it for 1 day or if it will have to be the rest of the cruise. We rarely get the internet anymore since we want to unplug. Worst case, you will have to pay alittle more the rest of the cruise, and be able to go to more websites.

I know on our Trans cruise, we only needed the middle plan for 1 day, and we were able to do that... just not sure about if we already had a plan, going up, then back down.

Yes a few places with wifi , one being Margaritaville rather slow and you have to buy food to get the pass word the other is a Fruit place Frutties I think is the name. The other which is right straight in front of the entrance leaving the ship. It's for workers and it's free to passengers upon request .

Small building with a small snack and drink shop. Good Wifi for the taking :D

I will be on Carnival Sunshine in February. I am also going on a voluntary layoff from my company for the month of February. Does anyone know which package I would need to purchase for 1 day so I could certify for my unemployment benefits? Or, I guess I could just pay by the minute? I am already planning to get the Social package for the entire cruise. If it matters, the day I will need to certify we are scheduled to be in Grand Turk, perhaps there is wifi there? UGH, what a strange scenario. Any help is appreciated.

If you can access the site you need through the limited ones available on the Social plan (highly unlikely, but perhaps worth a shot), then that would be all you need. Otherwise the Value plan is what you would need. You can't pay by the minute, and if you upgrade, you would have to do so for the rest of the cruise - and pay accordingly.

Yes a few places with wifi , one being Margaritaville rather slow and you have to buy food to get the pass word the other is a Fruit place Frutties I think is the name. The other which is right straight in front of the entrance leaving the ship. It's for workers and it's free to passengers upon request .

Small building with a small snack and drink shop. Good Wifi for the taking :D

Ask a waiter or bartender at Margaritaville and they normally will just give it to you, especially if ship docks early in the morning and people are not yet drinking.

Last time we were on GT there were 100's of people online for the free wifi. Connecting was impossible.

Even the pay restaurant that gave us access was difficult to connect and stay connected.

So...

For your purpose I suggest that you find the 'internet manager' on the ship and tell him/her that you need access for +/- 15 minutes...that's all. The manager will be able to set you up with what you need, and then, after a lot of users have gone ashore, you will have a relatively fast and reliable internet session. (use the ships computers)

Arrange this a day or two before you arrive at GT.

Edited by thinfool

on the Magic now, that's an old price list, premium is $119 and the second plan is $70
I have tried the middle plan and the premium plan on severals ships and can't really tell the speed difference between them. All the ships are bandwidth limited when everyone is on the ship sending pictures, videos, etc, the internet can be very slow. I found the same problems on multiple ships like the Breeze, the Freedom, and the Triumph.

During a cruise in May of last year, I needed to download paperwork to sign because we were selling our house. I could not sign the documents electronically because the ships computers did not have the necessary program to electronically sign the documents and they did not allow guests to install software. This was entirely understandable and I don't fault the ship for this. Even though I had the necessary software on my iPhone and iPad, I still was unable to sign the documents on line either because of the documents large size and because of the poor internet service.

I tried having it sent to a address for guest services on the ship because guest services said they did not have size restrictions on file sizes for their accounts. The download was still unsuccessful even using the guest services account. I ended up having the file faxed to the ship and printed so we could sign all the necessary pages. Guest services then faxed the document back to the realtor.

If your paperwork is a large file you may have problems downloading it or signing it electronically on the ships WiFi because of it's size or not having the signing software available. You may need help from guest services on your cruise. I found the ships guest services were very accommodating, and they helped me get my paperwork signed and returned to the realtor. They went above and beyond to help us and I appreciate their assistance.

I no longer pay for the premium package because the extra cost didn't seem to be worth it.

Ask a waiter or bartender at Margaritaville and they normally will just give it to you' date=' especially if ship docks early in the morning and people are not yet drinking.[/quote']

I did several times . it was answered with , you must buy something. Must have something to do with looks :eek:.

Last time we were on GT there were 100's of people online for the free wifi. Connecting was impossible.

Even the pay restaurant that gave us access was difficult to connect and stay connected.

So...

For your purpose I suggest that you find the 'internet manager' on the ship and tell him/her that you need access for +/- 15 minutes...that's all. The manager will be able to set you up with what you need, and then, after a lot of users have gone ashore, you will have a relatively fast and reliable internet session. (use the ships computers)

Arrange this a day or two before you arrive at GT.

Thank you so much!