Changes in the last ten years?

Vict0riann

I have sailed more than 80 HAL cruises always in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite and have never once 'flashed' my card in the way you infer. I cannot recall ever seeing a Suite guest flashing their card and pushing their way to the front of the line. If there is a tender line at the gangway, we get at the end of that line and wait our turn.

I am sure someone will come here and state how they watched some arrogant whoever push to the front of the line and they probably did but thankfully I have not been subjected to seeing that.

As to butlers...... we had butlers last on our Celebrity cruises and I found them so annoying, we actually tipped them to please stay away. We told them we'd call them if we needed or wanted something. We never found the desire or need to call. :)

In my experience, the combination of really good cabin steward and concierge has served us way better. I have yet to find the circumstance the combination of the two could not manage for us.

Yes, this is an issue I have wondered about -- I would like some day to sail in a suite, but I had always thought I would be spending money on service (specifically a butler) that I would not know what to do with! I cannot imagine how I would keep a butler busy, or even employ one at all. (We are very quiet, low-maintenance people.) So I might have to take your tack and pay the butler to shove off, if I ever had one. Good to know I would not have to worry about that on HAL. (This is not to say that Celebrity or any other line should allow their butlers to be annoying.)

In addition, I have never been able to figure out the difference between a butler and a concierge anyway, in terms of what to expect from their service...

I would not, however, hesitate or be ashamed to politely employ my go-to-the-head-of-the-line privileges (or any other such perks) if they came with the accommodations I had paid for.

I would not, however, hesitate or be ashamed to politely employ my go-to-the-head-of-the-line privileges (or any other such perks) if they came with the accommodations I had paid for.

Let's not misunderstand the perq. Neptune suite passengers have the same perq that 4 & 5* Mariners have. That is, they can go directly to the line, without getting a tender ticket first. When they arrive at the line, they are at the rear---behind others with the same perq who got there first.

Gonna get flamed for this but here goes! We cruise many different lines including HAL (4 Star Mariners) and have been cruising since the early 70s. I have been watching this thread for a few days and thinking about the OPs question. I cannot think of anything that has improved on mass market cruise lines (including HAL) in the past decade. Every line we have cruised has implemented various cut-backs to control their costs (and improve the bottom line) and many of these cut backs are quite obvious...even if not a big deal.

Hank

Let's not misunderstand the perq Neptune suite passengers have the same perq that 4 & 5* Mariners have. That is, they can go directly to the line, without getting a tender ticket first. When they arrive at the line, they are at the rear---behind others with the same perq who got there first.

Thanks for pointing that out Ruth. I think it is one of the most misunderstood perks that the Neptune Suites / 4-5* Mariners have.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Let's not misunderstand the perq. Neptune suite passengers have the same perq that 4 & 5* Mariners have. That is, they can go directly to the line, without getting a tender ticket first. When they arrive at the line, they are at the rear---behind others with the same perq who got there first.

And behind non-Neptune pax/non-4or5 stars who have gotten their tender tickets and been instructed to go down and get on line at the tenders. In other words, no line busting just because you have priority tender privileges.

We're not in a Neptune Suite (we're just in a Signature Suite) for our upcoming cruise.

but we've been told by our TA, since we've pre-booked our excursions, in cases where there is a tender involved, we should expect to be among the first groups off, since our excursions are ~30 minutes after port arrival.

That sounds "logical" to me, but I guess we'll see how this goes.

but we've been told by our TA, since we've pre-booked our excursions, in cases where there is a tender involved, we should expect to be among the first groups off, since our excursions are ~30 minutes after port arrival.

Your tour ticket will tell you where your tour meets. Some meet in a public room on the ship, and people are sent to the tender as a group. That is customary when the tour departs shortly after arrival.

Other tours meet ashore. In the latter case, it is your responsibility to get to the meeting place on time, but you are not given special tender privileges.

Your tour ticket will tell you where your tour meets. Some meet in a public room on the ship, and people are sent to the tender as a group. That is customary when the tour departs shortly after arrival.

Other tours meet ashore. In the latter case, it is your responsibility to get to the meeting place on time, but you are not given special tender privileges.

thanks for the response!

I expect it will be "meeting place on the ship". . since we went ahead and booked official excursions thru HAL (hey. we weren't paying, it was a gift :))

we didn't do anything on Half Moon Cay yet, since my Mother tells me she's been on 3 HAL cruises, and they've not yet managed to visit due to weather. . so instead of being disappointed, we figured we'll book something after we get there.

(half moon cay is one of two "tender" ports on this trip).

the rest of our excursions, I fully expect to meet on shore once we dock.

Having just been on the Westerdam after a few years of not cruising HAL, I have a pretty good insight.

Gone are the truly formal dining experiences with unbelievable food. The food is still good, but not spectacular.

Better however is the stateroom quality. Beds are very comfortable and on the newer ships, everyone has a full tub and shower combo. Have you ever tried to fit into those little Celebrity showers? Flat screen TVs as well as DVD players are newer than 10 years ago.

Gone are the String Quartets.

But the Recycled Percussion and Dancing With the Stars Productions were quite excellent IMO. Our House Band on Westerdam was superb, i.e. better than 10 years ago.

Gone are the Big Buffet Brunches, Formal Teas and Chocolate Extravaganza.

But the Mariner Lunch, Embarkation Lunch, and Hosted Captain's Party remain, and that is a good thing!

Pinnacle Restaurant is about the same as 10 years ago, but maybe a bit more expensive. The $10 surcharge for Pinnacle Lunch is truly a bargain however. And the Rate for dinner is much cheaper than other lines' specialty restaurants (I'm talking to you Celebrity!!)

I also think the service and dedication to us passengers remains at the same level, despite the fact that there have been employee reductions. That's pretty amazing.

Things change... some for the better and some for the worse. :rolleyes:

Edited by curtdesilets
Clarification

... on the newer ships, everyone has a full tub and shower combo. Have you ever tried to fit into those little Celebrity showers?

Everyone? Hardly.

All of the inside cabins still have a (generous size) shower, as do some of the outside and balcony cabins. Some people prefer a shower, and having that choice, even in only a few outside and higher cabins, is a huge improvement over the older ships (except the Prinsendam, which has showers in about half of those cabins).

The showers in the shower-only cabins on HAL ships are quite large. The old joke about soaping down the walls, and spinning, doesn't work on HAL ships.

Just a different point of view about the tub/showers on HAL. Some folks (including DW) have a difficult time trying to climb over the edge of the tub to simply take a shower. So we actually prefer a normal shower....even though on some ships this can mean being somewhat cramped in the tiny thing meant for those with anorexia. What does drive me crazy are the ships (we cruise a lot of lines and ships) that have shower curtains that keep getting sucked-in and getting in the way. Other vessels have fiberglass sliding doors which we think are a better option...although heaven help you if you drop the soap :).

Hank

Gonna get flamed for this but here goes! We cruise many different lines including HAL (4 Star Mariners) and have been cruising since the early 70s. I have been watching this thread for a few days and thinking about the OPs question. I cannot think of anything that has improved on mass market cruise lines (including HAL) in the past decade. Every line we have cruised has implemented various cut-backs to control their costs (and improve the bottom line) and many of these cut backs are quite obvious...even if not a big deal.

Hank

Of course, you have your opinions but so do the rest of us.

I think adding Silk Den and Tamarind to Signature ships is a plus.

I like Explorations Café and appreciate that addition.

Some Explorer's Lounges now have a bar vs just tables and I think that an improvement.

I like the duvets on the beds. They have been added in the last ten years.

I like they removed the silly go to nowhere escalator on Veendam/Maasdam.

Many folks have commented they like Dive In. I've yet to try it.

I like we can almost always go to our cabins by noon on embarkation day and don't have to wait until 1:30 -2:00 to embark as we used to do.

I like the change in the Daily Program. More 'efficient'.

At first I didn't like MIX but I have come to like it much more.

I like there are far more vegetarian menu choices on the MDR menu and no need to ask for special menu for many (not all) of us.

I like I can order salmon every night if I wish. It is always available.

Surely if you give it a moment's thought, you might find at least one thing you like that has been added in the last ten years and if not, why do you sail HAL? :confused: Are itineraries enough to make up for all the things you don't like?

Edited by sail7seas

Surely if you give it a moment's thought, you might find at least one thing you like that has been added in the last ten years and if not, why do you sail HAL? :confused: Are itineraries enough to make up for all the things you don't like?

Unfortunately, for me it does just about come down to one thing I can think of that's been added over the last 10 years that I really use or appreciate -- the better mattresses on HAL beds (especially compared with Princess). Duvets are too hot for me, though. And now I have to ask for a sheet.

I'm sure Silk Den and Tamarind are great, but they are only on a few ships. If they were fleetwide perhaps it could be considered a general improvement.... (and I certainly don't cruise to get a good burger. That rates up there with the "homestyle" favorites on the menu as a way of getting folks to eat less expensive dishes....)

Hasn't one always been able to make a specific request for an item, long before the cruise lines had their "always available" menus? I remember cruising with my parents and son on Zuiderdam shortly after her launch. My young son loved the chocolate cake one night. Our waiter ensured he got a piece every subsequent night, even though it wasn't on the menu.

I'm not necessarily faulting HAL. Nearly all mainstream lines are doing the same thing. They just don't provide the experience I'm really after any longer. But I do consider HAL for certain itineraries. On occasion, it IS enough to make up for other things.

Edited by cruisemom42

Of course, you have your opinions but so do the rest of us.

I think adding Silk Den and Tamarind to Signature ships is a plus.

I like Explorations Café and appreciate that addition.

Some Explorer's Lounges now have a bar vs just tables and I think that an improvement.

I like the duvets on the beds. They have been added in the last ten years.

I like they removed the silly go to nowhere escalator on Veendam/Maasdam.

Many folks have commented they like Dive In. I've yet to try it.

I like we can almost always go to our cabins by noon on embarkation day and don't have to wait until 1:30 -2:00 to embark as we used to do.

I like the change in the Daily Program. More 'efficient'.

At first I didn't like MIX but I have come to like it much more.

I like there are far more vegetarian menu choices on the MDR menu and no need to ask for special menu for many (not all) of us.

I like I can order salmon every night if I wish. It is always available.

We have never understood why you like to make many or your posts personal and attack the poster. Whether you agree or not, no need to flame poster. In fact, that is a clear violation of CC posting guidelines. Posting your own observations such as the great importance of Daily Programs is absolutely fine although some may not see the importance of changes in this area :). And I must admit that the importance of Duvets never occurred to me...so I guess that is an offset to worn carpeting, torn upholstery, broken lights, etc.

And yes, itineraries are the primary (perhaps the only) reason we still cruise on HAL. Those of us who cruise on many different lines will often just weigh the pros and cons of various cruises and HAL still excels in their oft interesting itineraries.

Have a good day,

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm sure Silk Den and Tamarind are great, but they are only on a few ships. If they were fleetwide perhaps it could be considered a general improvement.... (and I certainly don't cruise to get a good burger. That rates up there with the "homestyle" favorites on the menu as a way of getting folks to eat less expensive dishes....)

Sorry, in the above post I meant to type (and as for Dive In, I certainly don't cruise to get a good burger....

It's always easy to turn positives into negatives. I could add to the list of positive things I like that HAL has added in ten years. Nothing is perfect and HAL most certainly is no exception but as long as I choose to spend my money sailing HAL, I shall continue to evaluate the things I like about them. :) No need for anyone to agree, of course.

When I first posted the question, it was because we haven't sailed HAL for over ten years - well once in the past on the old Noordam to Alaska, but I barely remember it! (Pre-digital, you know!:D)

We had sailed Cunard for a long time, so I did relate to what they were saying on that thread, but I wondered about HAL. It was good to hear that, on the whole, the changes have been more positive than negative. We all know that times, they are a-changin'. Cutbacks are to be expected, and we're lucky prices have not escalated along with the cost of living. No complaints here!

Unfortunately, for me it does just about come down to one thing I can think of that's been added over the last 10 years that I really use or appreciate -- the better mattresses on HAL beds (especially compared with Princess). Duvets are too hot for me, though. And now I have to ask for a sheet.

Hasn't one always been able to make a specific request for an item, long before the cruise lines had their "always available" menus? I remember cruising with my parents and son on Zuiderdam shortly after her launch. My young son loved the chocolate cake one night. Our waiter ensured he got a piece every subsequent night, even though it wasn't on the menu.

I'm not necessarily faulting HAL. Nearly all mainstream lines are doing the same thing. They just don't provide the experience I'm really after any longer. But I do consider HAL for certain itineraries. On occasion, it IS enough to make up for other things.

I do tend to agree with you. I like HAL - I feel comfortable on HAL, and I do feel like I'm coming home each time I board. But I can't close my eyes to the fact that the shabbiness is showing through, and there have been few innovative changes. HAL has been slipping down the scale for some years now and I wonder how long they can last.

I do tend to agree with you. I like HAL - I feel comfortable on HAL, and I do feel like I'm coming home each time I board. But I can't close my eyes to the fact that the shabbiness is showing through, and there have been few innovative changes. HAL has been slipping down the scale for some years now and I wonder how long they can last.

I'm a bit shabbier now than I was 10 years ago, too!:D

Having just been on the Westerdam after a few years of not cruising HAL, I have a pretty good insight.

Better however is the stateroom quality. Beds are very comfortable and on the newer ships, everyone has a full tub and shower combo. Have you ever tried to fit into those little Celebrity showers? Flat screen TVs as well as DVD players are newer than 10 years ago.

We usually cruise in inside or outside rooms, rarely a balcony. The newer ships don't have couches in the insides and I miss that.

The DVD players are a nice addition and I've used them a couple of times but without a couch it's awkward to watch a movie.

I deal with the duvet by requesting a sheet under it, more work for the cabin steward, unfortunately.

The flat screen TVs that were put on the shelf designed for the old style CRT TVs are difficult to control unless you can get the remote high enough to beam over the shelf... a nuisance to me but a generation of ships will cure that.

I haven't had the opportunity to cruise on Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam but hope to even without a couch.

We will likely still cruise in the less expensive rooms so that we can cruise more and we enjoy what is available although we dearly miss the string quartets, as they were a heavy drawing card for us to return to cruising after our first cruise, and that was on Carnival no less!

All in all, I maintain that, "It's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!"

m--

Nobody seems to have commented upon the improved affordability of cruising on HAL . To the extent that the cost of virtually everything has gone up since 2004: postage, designer coffees, gasoline, air fare, food - you name it - the fact that the cost of cruising as a percentage of ones disposable income has actually decreased by remaining virtually the same in dollars, while the purchasing power of those dollars has been eroded --- should be seen as a positive.

Nobody seems to have commented upon the improved affordability of cruising on HAL . To the extent that the cost of virtually everything has gone up since 2004: postage, designer coffees, gasoline, air fare, food - you name it - the fact that the cost of cruising as a percentage of ones disposable income has actually decreased by remaining virtually the same in dollars, while the purchasing power of those dollars has been eroded --- should be seen as a positive.

Cruising is still relatively affordable. As an example, this California coastal cruise we did recently on Celebrity Century was being sold as low as $699 per person.

For $699 pp you get transportation, all your food, lodging and staying one day in Santa Barbara, Two Days in Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco, One day in Monterey, one day on Catalina Island and one day in Endenada.

Now picture driving to all of these places, staying waterfront in these extremely expensive cities, parking, driving, gasoline and forking out mucho money for waterfront dining. There's no comparison!

I would estimate the cost at least triple if not more, plus a lot more hassle.