Navigator...not so luxurious....we are not happy cruisers at the moment

CruiserPK

Yarmyob/CruiserPK - I'm very sorry to hear about your most recent negative cruise experience on Navigator. Your experience/s (with nasty water) on this cruise, along with corporate's lackluster follow up and their less than satisfactory proposed "resolution" for you, is also troubling. Having to change "suites" due to contaminated/discolored water is not the definition of a "luxury cruise experience". By no means did you receive the luxury experience (and upgraded accomodations) that you paid for. The problem (of less than pure/clear water on Navigator in various places and at various times) has been well-documented and has been experienced by many others. Yet it continues, and is allowed to continue - "unfixed".

Some might argue that the water isn't really "contaminated" (just because there's "a little rust" in it). However, I'm using the term "contamination" to mean that the water contains something that simply "isn't supposed to be in it, contains something that isn't intended to be in it, and contains something that makes it unfit to drink" . :eek: I'm guessing it will be just a matter of time before the usual "apologists" will characterize this as somehow being "your fault" since it's been talked about in the past and you should have known that it "might happen", or has been "well-documented and therefore (inexplicably) of no particular concern, or they'll say that you're just making a "bigger deal out of it than what is necessary" and are "over-reacting". In other words, you're supposed to tout the "positives" and not mention the "negatives".

According to another current thread, it will be at least another year before this "problem" might/will be corrected (during a scheduled drydock period) and in the meantime, further occurrences will be sporadic, only affect certain passengers, and will be "handled" (or not) on a case by case basis.

What is most striking to me is that with over 100+ nights on Regent (I'm not even close to that and never will be!), you both could reasonably be defined as two of Regent's most loyal and "top end" customers! I can't believe how much money Regent has received from you over the years to reach that level of loyalty. Yet, your simple request for a cash reimbursement for just the "difference" between the suite you paid for and the suite you ended up in (not even a full refund for the cruise), was rejected?! I find that Regent's rejection of your reasonable request - from a steady, loyal, and longtime customer - to be unbelievable. Maybe you should have asked for a cello on your next cruise. That, apparently, would be possible, while clean, pure, clear water - is not! ;)

As you have rightly concluded, there are plenty of other wonderful choices for you to spend you cruise dollars. I think in this case, it is Regent who are the losers, and not you. Best Regards.

I doubt if anyone thinks that brown water is okay - no matter how loyal they are to Regent. As I have posted in the past, there have been many challenges/problems on the Navigator over the years yet some people still enjoy the ship very much. Others, like myself, choose to not sail on her but still sail on the Mariner and Voyager. When we want to sail in an area that the Navigator is in (Alaska/Caribbean), we go on Oceania or Silversea.

You should continue to press for a cash refund. You obviously did not receive what you paid for. Perhaps small claims court? Frankly, you should ask for a full refund. That may get their attention.

Edited by JPR

You should continue to press for a cash refund. You obviously did not receive what you paid for. Perhaps small claims court? Frankly, you should ask for a full refund. That may get their attention.

I'd write directly to Mark Conroy. I had to do that to resolve a situation two or three years ago, and it was quickly resolved. Don't put up with the bureaucracy below him.

I'd write directly to Mark Conroy. I had to do that to resolve a situation two or three years ago, and it was quickly resolved. Don't put up with the bureaucracy below him.

Kunal Kamlani is now President of Regent. Mark Conroy resigned as president at the beginning of last year and is now a consultant.

Yarmyob - I have nothing other than just a "gut feeling" about this, but based upon my own very positive and personal dealings with (and help from) Mr. Conroy, I doubt that your request for compensation/consideration/adjustment in this matter would have been handled (or rejected) in the same way under "his watch". Regards

Wes, Ping Pong and others....

I have to chime in because I think it is unfair to say the outcome would have been different under Mark Conroy's watch. He is great and wonderful at Customer Service but my sense is that the Head of Guest Relations, Gair O. and the clout/motivation of the travel agent used by CruiserPK factor into the decision here.

I used to use the same TA as CruiserPK in 2009. In December of that year we boarded Navigator following a drydock. It was the most miserable cruising experience. I wrote a review here and you can read it. We wrote to Regent, heard nothing for more than a month...which is why I finally posted my review. When I did hear back, they offered us a 500 pp future cruise credit, that was all. I felt let down by both Regent but mostly by the TA who I thought would have worked on our behalf as they had received a hefty commission for a holiday booking where we paid a premium for the cruise over the New Year's holiday. Was I angry at the time, you bet.

The next year, my Mom and I went on Mariner for the first time and they gave us a comp upgrade to a PH ( the only time I have not paid to upgrade) and I learned that it was for the disaster 6 months earlier. Regent did make it up and I haven't really looked back.

We had another bad cruise last summer on Navigator in Alaska. My husband said he was done with cruising after that. But then recently he said he may try another ship, perhaps Regent to the Baltics or try Oceania Riviera. My point is that it does get better over time and it is nice to have many choices.

Edited by tallship

I doubt if anyone thinks that brown water is okay - no matter how loyal they are to Regent. As I have posted in the past, there have been many challenges/problems on the Navigator over the years yet some people still enjoy the ship very much. Others, like myself, choose to not sail on her but still sail on the Mariner and Voyager. When we want to sail in an area that the Navigator is in (Alaska/Caribbean), we go on Oceania or Silversea.

TravelCat2: I enjoyed Naviogator twice, and Voyager and Mariner, once each. I have never found any of the 3 lacking or not to my satisfaction. I am one of those who moved 'up' from Holland America and never went back. I am scheduled to vacation on Navigator for the 3rd time in November 2014 and would like you to tell me why you avoid Navigator.

:)

TravelCat2: I enjoyed Naviogator twice, and Voyager and Mariner, once each. I have never found any of the 3 lacking or not to my satisfaction. I am one of those who moved 'up' from Holland America and never went back. I am scheduled to vacation on Navigator for the 3rd time in November 2014 and would like you to tell me why you avoid Navigator.

The Navigator is a beautiful ship. Unfortunately we sailed on her twice under previous ownership when the problems were much more severe than they are today (prior to the "ducktail" being installed to lessen the vibration, regular electrical outages and occasional listing to one side). We decided to try her again three years ago and my DH got seasick for the first time on a Regent ship. The Navigator's stabilizers are simply not as good as on the Mariner and Voyager.

This sailing was from San Francisco to Vancouver in May so passengers were not outside enjoying the sun -- they were all inside. IMO, the public spaces are too small for the size of the ship. I compare it with the Silversea Whisper and Shadow which are almost the same size as the Navigator but have 50 less suites which means much more room in the lounges and dining venues.

La Veranda was so crowded in the morning that you couldn't move and was also too crowded at lunch on sea days. Prime 7 was new and was so small and awkward that we were not comfortable dining there (plus the food wasn't good - this can happen on any ship). Note: Prime 7 has been redesigned and is probably much better now.

The lack of a forward lounge -- especially in Alaska was an issue. If we had not sailed Alaska on the Mariner, we probably would not have missed it as much.

Since we have a choice, we choose the Mariner and Voyager. When in the Caribbean, our newest choice is Oceania's Riviera as we do not want excursions and we are able to get a larger suite for the same money as we would spend on a penthouse on Regent (note: it only becomes a good deal when they offer the special that includes internet and gratuities).

The Navigator isn't a horrible ship by any means. It is just not a ship that we are comfortable sailing on. Hope this answers your question (probably more than answers it:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

We have dipped into the Regent board this past few weeks as we are trying to get our 2 cruises for 2015 sorted out and thought we might give Regent a go.

What I find worrying from the thread here is the rather poor response of RSSC to the customers problem. I would tend to judge the company not so much by the problems they encounter - that's going to happen from time to time - but by how they sort it out.

The OP's treatment is, quite frankly, shocking - not just the failure to deal with the initial problem in a timely manner but also the poor compensation to a loyal customer. Maybe this is one thing that fell through the cracks but that's not good enough.

So Another Silversea booked for Dec 2015 and it will be either Seabourn or Silversea for the Spring voyage.

Well done, RSSC, a potential customer turned off by fellow cruisers' poor treatment.

tothesunset, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not booking Regent because of OP's comments. There is always another side to a story. We have cruised on all three ships and our experiences have always been great. You're always going to find someone who has a bad experience or feels it was a bad experience. That does not mean that other passengers felt the same or the cruise line is not listening. What I have found is that Regent tries to work with cruisers. Maybe we have been lucky but I don't think so. I think you will find more people who rave about Regent experience than those who put it down because of one incident. Enjoy whatever cruise you sign up with. Fortunately, there are several luxury lines to choose from.

Forevertravel....so far very happy with Regent.

tothesunset, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not booking Regent because of OP's comments. There is always another side to a story. We have cruised on all three ships and our experiences have always been great. You're always going to find someone who has a bad experience or feels it was a bad experience. That does not mean that other passengers felt the same or the cruise line is not listening. What I have found is that Regent tries to work with cruisers. Maybe we have been lucky but I don't think so. I think you will find more people who rave about Regent experience than those who put it down because of one incident. Enjoy whatever cruise you sign up with. Fortunately, there are several luxury lines to choose from.

Forevertravel....so far very happy with Regent.

Strangely, since posting earlier, I've revisited the Regent forum and am inclined to agree that my reaction was a tad precipitate.

You are, of course, correct and we must make up our own minds - the only way is to try the Regent experience. In fact, I've bookmarked a couple of Spring 2015 cruises which I shall speak to our TA about. We feel a strange loyalty to Silversea although we also find Seabourn suits us very well. Maybe we might be blown away by Regent and as we hope to have a good few more years ahead of us it would be wise to broaden our experience.

Thanks for the reality check!:)

:)

The Navigator is a beautiful ship. Unfortunately we sailed on her twice under previous ownership when the problems were much more severe than they are today (prior to the "ducktail" being installed to lessen the vibration, regular electrical outages and occasional listing to one side). We decided to try her again three years ago and my DH got seasick for the first time on a Regent ship. The Navigator's stabilizers are simply not as good as on the Mariner and Voyager.

This sailing was from San Francisco to Vancouver in May so passengers were not outside enjoying the sun -- they were all inside. IMO, the public spaces are too small for the size of the ship. I compare it with the Silversea Whisper and Shadow which are almost the same size as the Navigator but have 50 less suites which means much more room in the lounges and dining venues.

La Veranda was so crowded in the morning that you couldn't move and was also too crowded at lunch on sea days. Prime 7 was new and was so small and awkward that we were not comfortable dining there (plus the food wasn't good - this can happen on any ship). Note: Prime 7 has been redesigned and is probably much better now.

The lack of a forward lounge -- especially in Alaska was an issue. If we had not sailed Alaska on the Mariner, we probably would not have missed it as much.

Since we have a choice, we choose the Mariner and Voyager. When in the Caribbean, our newest choice is Oceania's Riviera as we do not want excursions and we are able to get a larger suite for the same money as we would spend on a penthouse on Regent (note: it only becomes a good deal when they offer the special that includes internet and gratuities).

The Navigator isn't a horrible ship by any means. It is just not a ship that we are comfortable sailing on. Hope this answers your question (probably more than answers it:-)

Travelcat2: You more than answered my questions and I thank you. When we return from our 10 days Eastern Caribbean in November I'll give a full report on Navigator. Hopefully things will be greatly improved. I would like to report at that time that all was well and we'd ride her again. We'll have to see. Thanks for the overview.

• 6 months later...

We've been on the Navigator 3 times - - always in a forward cabin.

We have 2 more cruises scheduled for the Navigator, again in a forward cabin.

We have been on decks 8 and 7.

It is our favorite Regent ship!

My only recommendation is to stay away from an aft cabin.

The vibration felt back there is quite apparent.

Miami to Miami (Caribbean) should not be too bumpy. I would not be overly concerned about motion sickness!

The only time I felt a little seasick on the Navigator was a few years ago when we pulled out of San Francisco for our Alaska cruise. Now that was bumpy!

Enjoy your cruise.

We will be back on her in February for a Miami - Miami cruise as well.

Safe travels!

Patti

The only time my DH was seasick was in a Master Suite on the Navigator (deck 10). The only time I've felt queasy but did not get sick was in suite 1125on the Navigator. Forward suites feel the motion both forward and aft as well as side to side. The lower you are on the ship, the less you feel it. If you are extremely forward (600/601, 700/701, etc.) you will hear noise from the anchor (assume it is from the anchor -- very loud and happens early in the morning).

Our recommendation for the Navigator has always been to take a suite on a lower deck and mid-ship. We also avoid suites under the swimming pool or under La Veranda (noisy - early in the morning, scraping of chairs, etc.)

We just finished NYC-Montreal on Navigator, in 821. She sailed very well. Stabilizers were improved since our last cruise. We felt the ocean roll only one night out of 10, and it was not unpleasant.

If you're worried, ask your doctor about taking Bonine or the generic equivalent daily starting 2-3 days before the cruise. I did that during a very rough cruise from Charleston to Bermuda about 2 1/2 years ago and was just fine.

We just finished NYC-Montreal on Navigator, in 821. She sailed very well. Stabilizers were improved since our last cruise. We felt the ocean roll only one night out of 10, and it was not unpleasant.

If you're worried, ask your doctor about taking Bonine or the generic equivalent daily starting 2-3 days before the cruise. I did that during a very rough cruise from Charleston to Bermuda about 2 1/2 years ago and was just fine.

Sound advice, Peter, we will get some Bonine right away for our 13-23 November cruise on Navigator. We are on 9th deck for this one and slightly forward. Prime 7 reserved for our first night with the hopes that we can dine there a second time before the cruise ends. Jack

We've been on the Navigator 3 times - - always in a forward cabin.

We have 2 more cruises scheduled for the Navigator, again in a forward cabin.

We have been on decks 8 and 7.

It is our favorite Regent ship!

My only recommendation is to stay away from an aft cabin.

The vibration felt back there is quite apparent.

Miami to Miami (Caribbean) should not be too bumpy. I would not be overly concerned about motion sickness!

The only time I felt a little seasick on the Navigator was a few years ago when we pulled out of San Francisco for our Alaska cruise. Now that was bumpy!

Enjoy your cruise.

We will be back on her in February for a Miami - Miami cruise as well.

Safe travels!

Patti

Thank you, Patti.

As with any cruise, it depends upon the seas. The Navigator was as smooth as silk on the Alaska part of our cruise. The rough seas were from San Francisco to somewhere above the Canadian border. Apparently this area frequently has rough seas since OctoberKat also experienced what we did. IMO, it is always a good idea to have a seasickness remedy with you - just in case. If the Captain indicates large swells ahead, I take 1/4 of a Bonine. If I actually feel the motion, I take 1/2. We are cautious with medication because we do not want to be sick but don't want to be asleep either. The electronic bands work quite well -- the sea bands work if you put them in the exact right spot on your wrist.

I find the Mariner to be the most stable of the three ships but we did have one night of rough seas earlier this month. Since it occurred late at night, medication wasn't necessary. We spoke to others that usually have motion sickness problems and they were also fine because they were lying down.

As with any cruise, it depends upon the seas. The Navigator was as smooth as silk on the Alaska part of our cruise. The rough seas were from San Francisco to somewhere above the Canadian border. Apparently this area frequently has rough seas since OctoberKat also experienced what we did.

I hope I've not misled you, Tavelcat2. We have yet to cruise at all, much less the Pacific Northwest coast. Our first cruise ever, and it is on Regent, is the January 27, 2015 sailing out of Miami. We'll be 901 which is forward and somewhat high. Jim is prone to motion sickness so it appears I have cause to be worried. Which is why Patti's post was reassuring. I am trying valiantly not to be distressed by negative reviews of Navigator which vessel seems to be assuming the guise of a poor shabby orphan child. As I am ever rooting for the underdog, I will close by saying "Yeehaw and yippee, Navigator."

Edited by OctoberKat
Typo

I hope I've not misled you, Tavelcat2. We have yet to cruise at all, much less the Pacific Northwest coast. Our first cruise ever, and it is on Regent, is the January 27, 2015 sailing out of Miami. We'll be 901 which is forward and somewhat high. Jim is prone to motion sickness so it appears I have cause to be worried. Which is why Patti's post was reassuring. I am trying valiantly not to be distressed by negative reviews of Navigator which vessel seems to be assuming the guise of a poor shabby orphan child. As I am ever rooting for the underdog, I will close by saying "Yeehaw and yippee, Navigator."

Guess I misunderstood -- sorry. Our cruises out of Miami are usually fairly calm -- except the night you actually leave Miami. We will be on Oceania at the end of November and will see how the seas are (not that this is any guarantee of what they will be in January).

As you have read, I've had my issues with the Navigator. However, if this were my first Regent cruise, I would fall in love with Regent and the ship -- just as I did with the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti (when it was under Radisson/Regent management)O. Today I would likely be disappointed with that ship as well since we have sailed on and prefer the larger ships.

The food and service are the same on all three ships (except that the Navigator does not have Signatures -- not a big loss IMO). The suites on the Navigator are larger than on the Mariner. You will not miss a forward lounge in the Caribbean. Also, 901 is much better than 1001 because it is not under the "bridge".

The Navigator is the baby of the fleet but is beloved by many. I have a feeling that you will love her.

JPR - Do you have any further thoughts/comments regarding your just- completed New England/Canada cruise on Navigator that you'd care to share with us? We'll be taking the same cruise in 2015.

We've been on Navigator before and really like the ship (as we do Voyager, as well). We have not yet been on Mariner.

Anything you particularly liked or didn't like regarding any of the ports/food/excursions, etc., you experienced on this itinerary? Any comments, either pro or con, would be appreciated. Best Regards.