Family of 4, 1st cruise...adjoining OV or 1 Balcony?

travelmomof2

Planning on our first cruise, 2 parents with a 12 yo boy and 15 yo girl, to Alaska next July on RC. Trying to decide between a balcony for all 4 (with sofa bed and a pullman) or 2 adjoining OV rooms with porthole. The portholes look big on the photos. We are really torn between having the balcony and fresh air (albeit cold!) and some solitude (DD and I don't like crowds) from the ship OR having some SPACE and solitude from the kids...LOL Also, the 2 OV is about $1400 cheaper than squeezing into the balcony. (RC having a BOGOHO sale right now) That could cover quite a few excursions. I"m not sure how much longer adjoining OV will be available, I put a 24 hr hold but let it expire last night as I hadn't made up my mind.

Any advice?

Personally, if I had the choice.....definitely the OV. It will be too cold to hang on the balcony for any length of time. You will still have wonderful views from the windows without going outside and freezing. PLUS you save all that money.

More importantly.....TWO BATHROOMS.....especially when you have two (almost) teenagers. Let them have their own space and you and hubby can have yours. Getting ready in the morning and at night for dinner with one bathroom and four people....UGH. :):):)

Go for the OV'S. You will be happy happy happy. :)

The problem with a balcony is that what you want to see is always on the other side of the ship - LOL! We had a balcony but there were only 2 of us and we still went to one of the upper decks where we could go from side to side of the ship when we were in a scenic area.

Thank you so far for that input! I was able to get another 24 hour hold on that adjoining room. Googled some images and video...my kids votes are for the two OV, I am leaning that way, DH itching for a balcony... I think I may book the two ocean view and could upgrade later if we wanted? This ship has more Balconys that other rooms. And since we are southbound I am specific to aft side rooms.

Another concern is fresh air... how is the air circulation in an ov room where the window does not open? Some friends had really talked highly about fresh air when needed. Do rooms have their own thermostat?

Edited by travelmomof2

Thank you so far for that input! I was able to get another 24 hour hold on that adjoining room. Googled some images and video...my kids votes are for the two OV, I am leaning that way, DH itching for a balcony... I think I may book the two ocean view and could upgrade later if we wanted? This ship has more Balconys that other rooms. And since we are southbound I am specific to aft side rooms.

Another concern is fresh air... how is the air circulation in an ov room where the window does not open? Some friends had really talked highly about fresh air when needed. Do rooms have their own thermostat?

What ship? There are a few that have a balcony adjoining an OV room in the aft of the ship. Otherwise, with two teens, i would vote OV for two rooms. We did a balcony with our 10- and 12-YO boys and it was a tight squeeze. Privacy is lovely!!!

Planning on our first cruise, 2 parents with a 12 yo boy and 15 yo girl, to Alaska next July on RC. Trying to decide between a balcony for all 4 (with sofa bed and a pullman) or 2 adjoining OV rooms with porthole. The portholes look big on the photos. We are really torn between having the balcony and fresh air (albeit cold!) and some solitude (DD and I don't like crowds) from the ship OR having some SPACE and solitude from the kids...LOL Also, the 2 OV is about $1400 cheaper than squeezing into the balcony. (RC having a BOGOHO sale right now) That could cover quite a few excursions. I"m not sure how much longer adjoining OV will be available, I put a 24 hr hold but let it expire last night as I hadn't made up my mind.

Any advice?

kids that age NEED 2 rooms for the extra bathroom alone. what about splitting the difference: balcony for the adults with an inside across the hall for the young uns/

Definitely the two adjoining porthole rooms. You'll appreciate the space.

And even though a balcony for Alaska sounds good, it is better to be out where you can go from one side of the ship to the other to see views on both sides -- and to get fresh air.

Each room has its own thermostat so fresh air is no problem.

Any advice?

How about getting a balcony for the parents and an inside across the hall for the kids.

kids that age NEED 2 rooms for the extra bathroom alone. what about splitting the difference: balcony for the adults with an inside across the hall for the young uns/

That was my original plan...except the website shows there are no balcony rooms with close inside rooms still available... or even on the same deck. Does it make a difference to call? When I put the 24 hold on, I received an email and a voicemail of someone at RC wanting to assist me, which if helpful and can get me a balcony/inside I'll do, otherwise I am leery of getting a bunch of up selling...

Edited by travelmomof2

I would call. When we traveled to Alaska we had 3 in our room but our friends with us had an inside across from their balcony. Yes you want to see both sides of the ship but there is something really nice about sitting on a balcony cruising to Alaska.

Keep in mind that even though the balcony cabin is likely slightly larger than an OV (not always but usually true), once the third and fourth beds are opened it is hard to walk around a cabin (even if they come down from the ceiling).

My vote would be to get two adjoining ocean views. I would not put a 12 and 15 year old alone down the hall. This has no bearing on your children - I would not put anybody's two teenage kids in a cabin by themselves away from the parents.

Keep in mind that even though the balcony cabin is likely slightly larger than an OV (not always but usually true), once the third and fourth beds are opened it is hard to walk around a cabin (even if they come down from the ceiling).

My vote would be to get two adjoining ocean views. I would not put a 12 and 15 year old alone down the hall. This has no bearing on your children - I would not put anybody's two teenage kids in a cabin by themselves away from the parents.

I agree...I would only feel comfortable if they were right across the hall, but not as comfortable as if there were a door between us. I'm also not comfortable with things like 1 am curfews, etc.

That was my original plan...except the website shows there are no balcony rooms with close inside rooms still available... or even on the same deck. Does it make a difference to call? When I put the 24 hold on, I received an email and a voicemail of someone at RC wanting to assist me, which if helpful and can get me a balcony/inside I'll do, otherwise I am leery of getting a bunch of up selling...

yes call. they may have allocated/set aside some GTY rooms that can easily be re arranged to give you an inside directly across.

I believe the only way to book parents in one cabin/teens in another is to call RCI directly; if you wanted to do the whole booking online yourself you would have to put one parent/one kid in each cabin and switch after you boarded, even if booking the adjoining cabins.

Don't worry about being upsold for anything: the call center reps are just reading a script (that half of them have no idea what it means), you say no, they move on.

And I'm curious what issue you have with the 1 AM curfew. Are you worried about her attending organized teen activities that end later than her parents' bedtime? Or that it is none of RCI's business if she is out of her cabin at any hour?

I believe the only way to book parents in one cabin/teens in another is to call RCI directly; if you wanted to do the whole booking online yourself you would have to put one parent/one kid in each cabin and switch after you boarded, even if booking the adjoining cabins.

Don't worry about being upsold for anything: the call center reps are just reading a script (that half of them have no idea what it means), you say no, they move on.

And I'm curious what issue you have with the 1 AM curfew. Are you worried about her attending organized teen activities that end later than her parents' bedtime? Or that it is none of RCI's business if she is out of her cabin at any hour?

I did book online but did mess up the names as I forgot about the age rule and put my husband and i in the first cabin and it was already set in stone when I went to do room 2....so I am in both rooms and my daughter has no reservations...lol...I just wanted to get those cabins so now I'll call and get it straightened out.

As far as the curfew...it's more of us not sleeping until we know they are in the cabin. If we plan to be in port 7-8am the next morning I also don't want to drag half awake kids off the ship. If they want to do late night activities before an at sea day it's not that much of an issue, but I will still feel the need to stay awake to make sure they make it back to the cabin. But we are not late night social people anyway, so I'm not even sure it will appeal much to them... I guess we'll see! :)

The adjoining OV's idea is so much better: four in the balcony cabin with sofa bed out and pullman down would be horribly crowded; neither parents nor children would have any privacy; four sharing one bathroom is simply a pain; a balcony is not that much of a plus on an Alaska cruise - the close in-shore sights need to be seen from an open upper deck; the savings on fare makes it a no-brainer.

Most important of all is which ship(RCL has some old ships too as does any big line). The RCL experts here can suggest best ones for families And consider ships doing Inside Passage. Get 2 outside adjoining cabins. 4 people wouldnt even fit on a balcony.Make sure cabins are not BELOW public spaces and not in bow.

I never had a problem with a week in close quarters for my family. I mean, if you're from NYC or SF or something, it's pretty much your way of life. For me, Alaska is the ultimate destination in which you want a balcony. More so than the warm weather places, although it is super nice to have. Still, I only consider Alaska to "require" a balcony.

Precisely because it can be cold. Now, for the most part, it's not freezing. It's quite nice actually. The cruise lines don't sail when it's too cold. However, if you cruise up to a glacier, particularly Glacier Bay, once you get in there, the temperature drops a LOT! I mean, it is essentially a giant ice cube that you're coming up on. So, rather than fight the crowds up on the public decks, it's AWESOME to have your own private balcony to go out onto to see the views/take pictures. Then, when you do get too cold, you can quickly run back in to warm up without losing your prime viewing space.

I've done Alaska twice now. The decks get crazy crowded during those times. So much that it almost doesn't seem worth it to try, but that was the highlight of the cruise so you kind of have to. You don't have that problem if you have a balcony.

How much time do you even spend in your room anyways?

Edited by codex57

The ship is the Radiance. We booked the 2 adjoining OV rooms. It was space and money over private view. It was a tough call but we are talking $1400. If we love it, maybe my husband I can go back again someday on our own (although we never go the same place twice... too much to see!)