Thomson Cruise Line Tragedy......

sail7seas

A terrible accident during life boat drill on Thomson Majesty leads to the death of five crew members. No guests were injured.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-02-10/5-dead-3-injured-in-cruise-ship-accident-in-spain

My heart breaks for the families and friends of those crew members and for the entire crew on the ship. This must be so painful for them all. May they find strength in their fond memories of their friends and co-workers and family member.

One question that comes to mind for me is: Would we immediately pack and leave the ship or would be remain aboard IF the ship goes forward with the cruise?

I would wonder if the ship will sail in the immediate days pending full investigation of how this happened but if it does sail, do you think you would stay and sail or would you leave. (Yes, I know it's hypothetical for us but many might have very strong feelings either way.)

No question it is a tragedy, but something will be learned from this accident that may prevent an even greater tragedy in the future.

Just think what the death toll would have been if the lifeboat were loaded with passengers in an emergency.

People are killed on the job every day. Just this week a 32 year old worker fell from a construction site here in CT and died.

This awful accident hits all of us on CC hard because we are a cruising family.

It's sad to think of it this way but this is why they do these drills....so such an accident involves a handfull of crew members rather than 50 or 60 passengers in a real emergency. The big question no one addresses is if this could cause authorities to determine there may be a problem with all the lifeboats or an issue with crew training. If so, would they allow the ship to leave harbor with passengers if they may not be able to abandon ship in an emergency.

Thank you for the link. Sad and unfortunate accident. Perhaps it will lead to an inspection of all the lifeboats on Thompson Majesty.

That's quite an old ship if I recall. Did she not sail as Norwegian Majesty for a few years?

So sad Sail. thanks for sharing.

What would we do? Very hard to say - many of our cruises involve long flights and we would literally be 'stranded' if we didn't go.

On the other hand, no question we would be shocked and very upset. I don't know in all honesty.

I am just praying for the crew members' families - and I do hope they inspect the other life boats. it seems to me this shouldn't have happened.

Thank you for the link. Sad and unfortunate accident. Perhaps it will lead to an inspection of all the lifeboats on Thompson Majesty.

That's quite an old ship if I recall. Did she not sail as Norwegian Majesty for a few years?

Yes, I think you're right she is the old Norwegian Majesty.

This was not the embarkation port but a stop for the day, so there might not be a way to stay overnight. I remember reading in the daily on Celebrity of crew lifeboat drills on port days.

The Norwegian Majesty was in pretty bad shape when we sailed it several years ago. I wonder how old it is and if Thomson put a lot of money into it.

My heart breaks for the lost crew. I can imagine how the crew onboard are mourning lost friends. They are no doubt a family like we all here are and more so living together 24/7.

This was not the embarkation port but a stop for the day, so there might not be a way to stay overnight. I remember reading in the daily on Celebrity of crew lifeboat drills on port days.

The Norwegian Majesty was in pretty bad shape when we sailed it several years ago. I wonder how old it is and if Thomson put a lot of money into it.

My heart breaks for the lost crew. I can imagine how the crew onboard are mourning lost friends. They are no doubt a family like we all here are and more so living together 24/7.

If this were the U.S., the USCG would find a way for them to stay overnight.

I would think the Spanish equivalent will do the same.

The Carnival Triumph had a fire in the engine room 150 miles off the Yucatan Peninsula -- currently running on emergency generators -- no propulsion. No injuries with crew or passengers. All efforts underway to get power, and tugs have been dispatched. Passengers are being looked after with food and beverages. They will also received full refunds for the cruise and service charges and costs for transportation when it is resolved.

The Carnival Triumph had a fire in the engine room 150 miles off the Yucatan Peninsula -- currently running on emergency generators -- no propulsion. No injuries with crew or passengers. All efforts underway to get power, and tugs have been dispatched. Passengers are being looked after with food and beverages. They will also received full refunds for the cruise and service charges and costs for transportation when it is resolved.

Is it true that bad things happen in threes? Let's hope not.

Her maiden voyage was for MS Royal Majesty for Majesty Cruise Line in 1992. She was sold to NCL in 1997. Only a bit older than the S class ships

Thanks, notes. Glad to know her age. Somehow I thought she was older than that. We sailed on her out to Bermuda a few years back and she was suffering from a lot of wear and tear even then.

It's hard to imagine her the same age as, say, the Maasdam or the Ryndam. They look (and act) like new compared to her.

IMO

Archived