Time to update 'The Fountains' ???

calex

Just curious if anyone has heard if any of the onboard cruise director’s staff has a creative whim to update their closing skit on the last night’s show.

Every staff, on every NCL ship, has been doing their version of ‘The Fountains’ to ENYA’s Only Time for over 10 years now.

Granted it is amusing, but it would be nice to be surprised with something new and creative.

Would love to see an upgrade to all shows....

Cast productions shows on the Gem have been the same for years...

Second city...mostly the same

Games shows hosted by NCL staff....same jokes....same one liners

Band routines...sometimes same every night

Quest...same challenges ,,,,

Newly wed not so newly wed game.... same stuff

Alhough I know some things are hard to change,,,,, there is too much sameness

But, I'd still rather be sailing than anyplace else

Safe sailing

Call me an easy mark, but I still get a big laugh out of Fountains...whether on board ship or if I happen upon it on YouTube. Trying to figure out if there is some new music they could use. All the ones I can come up are as old as Enya's.....

Quite by chance, DW and I were discussing this afternoon her sailing on the inaugural TA on the Getaway in Jan 2014. She mentioned that they did not do Fountains in the crew show any more. Apparently, it is no longer being performed, the official excuse being that it made the stage wet and slippery so was a safety issue and the water could also cause electrical problems.

How did it take 10 years to find that one out?:eek:

The unofficial scuttlebutt was that there had been complaints from some passengers about that part of the show.:confused:

The crew on the Gem performed it last week and they performed it as if they had never rehearsed it. Now, they may have rehearsed it to look like they never rehearsed it or they may have actually never rehearsed it but it was still entertaining in either case.

Just did a cruise with Sister In Law. Was actually getting concerned they were not going to do Fountains... but they did it. She loved it. Crowd that had many repeat customers loved it.

Keep it - please.

I think what is a big laugh is watching people's reaction that haven't seen it before.

Yep- they announced prior to the show that the first two rows were in the "splash zone" and when the staff approached the front of the stage everyone scattered like rabbits:D.

Just curious if anyone has heard if any of the onboard cruise director’s staff has a creative whim to update their closing skit on the last night’s show.

Every staff, on every NCL ship, has been doing their version of ‘The Fountains’ to ENYA’s Only Time for over 10 years now.

Granted it is amusing, but it would be nice to be surprised with something new and creative.

Its new and creative for someone who has never seen it.

The crew on the Gem performed it last week and they performed it as if they had never rehearsed it. Now, they may have rehearsed it to look like they never rehearsed it or they may have actually never rehearsed it but it was still entertaining in either case.

I was on the Pearl recently and one of the staff indicated that they use a fresh set of crew every time it is performed to share the performance among the many different crew members.

knowing that it makes the reactions of the performers even more humorous as they are reacting for the first time to the performance.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

I guess I'm too old fashioned or something, but have seen Fountains a couple of times, and frankly, don't know what is so funny about people spitting on each other. Yes, and stage gets wet and slippery, and performers could easily fall and sometimes almost do. I have been on at least 30 cruises and just don't bother anymore if they have Fountains.

Yeah...I've seen it - it was okay... but I do hope that there might be some room for a bit more creativity. I understand there are many who have yet to see it but after 10 years of this?? I feel sorry for the staff who have been doing it that long - week after week, month after month. You have to give them credit for trying to keep the energy levels up for the performance every time. That would not be easy!

Before you complain about the act, think about how funny it was the first time you saw it, then think that there are many on the ship who have never seen the act.

If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't go to see it !!!

Exactly this! Same for Quest!

Edited by P&Lcruising

Before you complain about the act, think about how funny it was the first time you saw it, then think that there are many on the ship who have never seen the act.

If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't go to see it !!!

I agree however how many new cruisers are on a ship versus return ncl cruisers? After seeing a Show time and time again it does get old. Also I agree with second city, same skits/lines just with different people.

I wouldnt think it would be that complicated for them to come up with a new ruitine for the CD staff.

I agree however how many new cruisers are on a ship versus return ncl cruisers? After seeing a Show time and time again it does get old. Also I agree with second city, same skits/lines just with different people.

I wouldnt think it would be that complicated for them to come up with a new ruitine for the CD staff.

The routine is a good one, and many see it several times and still like it. I see no reason for NCL to change it for the few who want something different.

The old story goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

It's cute and quaint. I would prefer Norwegian to leave it alone. If they do update it, it will probably disappear completely. On the older ships it's a nice closing to the crew talent show! :)

Exactly this! Same for Quest!

The Breakaway cruise didn't feature Fountains at the end of the crew talent show and Quest was no where to be seen. I also miss Ship 'N Males. That was a great night out! :D

I wonder what will happen with the White Hot Party now that Glow is coming fleet-wide?