Celebrity Summit Formal Dinner (Shoes Question)

Rhayne

We're gonna be on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and I have a question about Formal Dinner shoes.

We did this exact same cruise last year. For the first formal dinner I wore a cowl neck cream shirt and a black and white floral ankle length skirt with gladiator sandals. The second formal dinner I wore a pair of black dress pants and a black and white floral silk shirt, again with the same sandals. The outfits came out nice but I wanted to try something different for dinner this year. I have a dress I wore to a wedding this past september and wanted to bring it but my sandals do not match. For the wedding I wore black mary jane flats and figured I'd bring those. I just wanted an opinion on the shoes. Oh and what about pantyhose? I know it's going to be hot outside but we only dress for dinner and the nightly show.

I have problematic feet (bunions and slightly flat) so when I find shoes that fit and are comfortable I stick with them. My mary janes are just near perfect for me. I dont have the time, energy or money to go out and buy a new pair for the cruise.

The first picture is shoes similar to mine (i dont have a photo of my shoes) and the second picture is my dress. It's just at/below knee and flares out a little.

Untitled.jpg.f12108f02ff68a1b3dcbe4bd34aaf239.jpg

photo(2).jpg.3f3877dfae7c549ebdb078c7c766e3bd.jpg

If the shoes are comfortable and meet the dress code (not flip flops) who care's what others think. I don't mean to be rude, but as someone who has had problems with my feet almost ruin vacations, I say go for comfort.

Wear whatever shoes are comfortable and make you happy.

After all, at the formal dinner your shoes will be under the table and people will be looking at your face, not your shoes.

As to the question about pantyhose, if you like to wear pantyhose, wear them.

Otherwise, don't.

I don't intend to come across as uncaring, but I really can't imagine that anyone else on the ship would care in the slightest whether or not you wear pantyhose.

If you are just looking for fashion advice, I would suggest posting on

Cruise Fashions & Beauty - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Edited by fleckle

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm such a cruise newbie, I just don't want to make any huge mistakes. :D
Please stop worrying about making mistakes. It is supposed to be an enjoyable vacation for you, so just relax, enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time.

I think you will find that most of the people on Celebrity cruises are very friendly, welcoming and accepting, not fashion snobs with their noses in the air.

P.S. Stop reading the dress code threads on this board!

I can see how they could be enough to make any newcomer nervous. ;)

Edited by fleckle

Your shoes fit the Celebrity guidelines. Beyond that, it is no one's business what you wear on your feet (and same goes for hose or no hose). My elderly relatives have been known to wear gym shoes into the MDR (not on formal night) because they had foot and balance problems and gym shoes worked best for them. Personally, I would not have gone quite that far, but they were happy, within guidelines, and that is all that mattered. Enjoy!

Please stop worrying about making mistakes. It is supposed to be an enjoyable vacation for you, so just relax, enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time.

I think you will find that most of the people on Celebrity cruises are very friendly, welcoming and accepting, not fashion snobs with their noses in the air.

P.S. Stop reading the dress code threads on this board!

I can see how they could be enough to make any newcomer nervous. ;)

Your shoes fit the Celebrity guidelines. Beyond that, it is no one's business what you wear on your feet (and same goes for hose or no hose). My elderly relatives have been known to wear gym shoes into the MDR (not on formal night) because they had foot and balance problems and gym shoes worked best for them. Personally, I would not have gone quite that far, but they were happy, within guidelines, and that is all that mattered. Enjoy!

Thanks FLeckle. I'm normally a nervous over-worrier so I just can't help myself. :) I know the second I walk onto the ship i'll be relaxed though. One of the many reasons we returned to Celebrity is because of the friendly atmosphere both from guests and employees.

I poked around the dress code threads but not very much.

Thanks phoenix_dream. Makes me feel better about my decisions. :)

As for hose...does anyone know if they're horribly uncomfortable/hot just for dinner/show? The dress looks better with them but I could go without if it'll be too annoying.

Thanks FLeckle. I'm normally a nervous over-worrier so I just can't help myself. :) I know the second I walk onto the ship i'll be relaxed though. One of the many reasons we returned to Celebrity is because of the friendly atmosphere both from guests and employees.

I poked around the dress code threads but not very much.

Thanks phoenix_dream. Makes me feel better about my decisions. :)

As for hose...does anyone know if they're horribly uncomfortable/hot just for dinner/show? The dress looks better with them but I could go without if it'll be too annoying.

Hi Rhayne, I don't normally reply to the "usual dress code threads"

anymore but I will also suggest you hop over to the "Fashion forum".

Lots of threads over there and most of the gals are helpful and

friendly too:)

I will say I haven't worn pantyhose in......well, I have been cruising

for 11 years and I wore them on my first couple of cruises and that

was it.......I don't even own any! So it is really up to you......

I don't wear them.....if I am in a dressy skirt or long dress? I am

in dressy sandals and no hose are in my wardrobe...;)

Please don't worry about your shoes. We have been on the Summit to Bermuda recently and saw a great variety of footwear during formal night from high heeled shoes to sandals. Many people were not very dressy at all . Cruising is about enjoying yourself and being comfortable not worrying about what other people think of you. On the first night of our cruise the comedian spoke about the number of ladies who wore their 'new cruise shoes' for formal night and ended up hobbling at the end of the night. He was so funny because what he was speaking about was so true. I ended up walking down the corridor to my cabin carrying my new shoes because my feet were so sore. I didn't make that mistake again and wore a less dressy pair of shoes that were comfortable after putting plasters on my sore heels . Enjoy your cruise and wear what you're comfortable with especially on your feet. Bermuda was lovely and we really enjoyed the Summit.

I've had 12 foot surgeries. Wear what is comfortable. Flat shoes on a ship make a lot more sense than stiletto heels that have you stumbling around in a high sea. Your Mary Janes are just fine...I wear mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't know they made pantyhose any more :eek:

I've been to a number of very formal weddings in the past couple of years and even the bride didn't wear hose (kind of obvious when they went for the garter… also made the garter even more superfluous.

An alternative is to go to just about any tanning salon and get a spray tan. It won't last the entire week but you'll be good through the 1st formal night and it will look like you're wearing hose. Just a thought.

Wow, thanks ladies. Now I feel a lot better about my shoe decisions. I might even try the dress on with my sandals to see if they match a bit.

They do indeed still make pantyhose! hehe. I've always worn them with dresses/skirts so i guess my mind frame was to just wear them. Maybe i'll leave them home and go bare legged.

As for the Jockey skimmies, i do have a pair of shorts similar to those for my shorter skirts. But they are essential!

I dont think i'll go get a spray tan. I'm really not fond of tanning salons, even if for a spray and I dont want to spend money on something like that. Plus I'm 1/2 irish and my pasty skin wouldn't match my tan legs. :)

Wow, thanks ladies. Now I feel a lot better about my shoe decisions. I might even try the dress on with my sandals to see if they match a bit.

They do indeed still make pantyhose! hehe. I've always worn them with dresses/skirts so i guess my mind frame was to just wear them. Maybe i'll leave them home and go bare legged.

As for the Jockey skimmies, i do have a pair of shorts similar to those for my shorter skirts. But they are essential!

I dont think i'll go get a spray tan. I'm really not fond of tanning salons, even if for a spray and I dont want to spend money on something like that. Plus I'm 1/2 irish and my pasty skin wouldn't match my tan legs. :)

I'm with you, not fond of tanning salons. If people don't like my white legs, that is their problem.

I would rather see someone using common sense and wearing shoes that are comfortable and something they can walk in.

I think it is rediculous when women and young girls think that they need to wear those high spiked heels and then try walk in them.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

miched, I know I am showing my age here, but we are in complete agreement. I think if some of those young ladies (and sometimes the ladies are not so young, even worse:)) would ever walk behind themselves and see how clutzy and uncoordinated they look stumbling along, they might just reconsider being a fashion slave and revert to shoes they can walk in without looking like a fawn taking their first steps. To each their own, and not trying to be mean here - just an observation. Old age doesn't always have much to offer, but thank goodness not worrying as much (or at all) about what others think is thankfully one of those things!

Edited by phoenix_dream

I agree with you two. Those sky high shoes are just silly. On the cruise last year we walked behind a few of those girls and even my DH said they looked wobbly. I am always worried one will topple over and break and ankle. I've never been a high heel girl because they look painful and because the only types of dress shoes that fit me our child sizes. I have tiny feet.

Glad we could entertain you, neverbeenthere. I guess you don't realize shoes and pantyhose are serious stuff:)

So true, will be bringing the new peeptoe pumps, strappy sparkling heeled sandals and of course the fancy flats for when I can't stand those heels (5'2", my guy is 6'3" got to have some height, hehe). And the pantyhose as they do help with not getting blisters,etc.;)

This has become a great thread..

I have to walk quite a way to get to work, so I wear runners. I always thought I must look quite silly, but I don't look anywhere near as silly as the girl in the mini-skirt who landed legs in the air-(big time) whilst crossing the road in strappy sandals on a rainy day!

I saw elder ladies at our last formal night, all dolled up, yet wearing their runners & I thought Good for them!!

We're gonna be on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and I have a question about Formal Dinner shoes.

We did this exact same cruise last year. For the first formal dinner I wore a cowl neck cream shirt and a black and white floral ankle length skirt with gladiator sandals. The second formal dinner I wore a pair of black dress pants and a black and white floral silk shirt, again with the same sandals. The outfits came out nice but I wanted to try something different for dinner this year. I have a dress I wore to a wedding this past september and wanted to bring it but my sandals do not match. For the wedding I wore black mary jane flats and figured I'd bring those. I just wanted an opinion on the shoes. Oh and what about pantyhose? I know it's going to be hot outside but we only dress for dinner and the nightly show.

I have problematic feet (bunions and slightly flat) so when I find shoes that fit and are comfortable I stick with them. My mary janes are just near perfect for me. I dont have the time, energy or money to go out and buy a new pair for the cruise.

The first picture is shoes similar to mine (i dont have a photo of my shoes) and the second picture is my dress. It's just at/below knee and flares out a little.

My son is a DPM and I would suggest if you have really problems with your bunions, fix them. If not, your shoes are fine- Comfort first!! I typically start off with fancy short heels, but typically go back to my cabin for dress-flats- I have a pair that look like rhinestones and a gold pair also.

Edited by Cruise a holic