Inside Cabins

GailnBrad

I love an inside cabin...and it's not totally dark...there is always light coming in from under the door from the hallway.....I have never felt closed in.....you are out of the room so much......I sleep good and naps are great...we have also had a balcony and a mini suite....they were nice....but an inside means we can do 2 cruises.....I never felt disoriented in the morning....good luck.

Lots of folks will turn their TV to the outside, ship's camera view. It will be dark at night, but as the sun rises, you'll have that bit of light on the tv...sort of like a window!

I would HATE an interior cabin, as I do NOT like using lamps/lights in the daytime. And, in an inside room, you must.

I have spent up to a month in an inside cabin, and there was no down side.

The up-side is , way better access to shore and tenders. Smooth gentle ride even in the worst seas and a heck of a savings. Location location location as the say. Being high up on the ship and on the outside will be much less comfortable in seas.

Holland America presently has the best inside cabins I have see their J main deck on the new giant Nieu Amsterdan and Eurodam. Almost 280 sg ft and square rather than rectangles. Huge baths

The absence of light at times is a blessing.. as it gives you total rest. Need to look outside? Just turn on the tv for the bridge camera.

I prefer insides now after veranda and even penthouse cabins.. I found very little advantage to a veranda except for my ego.

I have seen the insides of the interior cabins but never spend much time in one. Honestly, I'd go crazy. To me, it was claustrophobic. I think you need to consider how much time you'll spend in your room, and that depends on what kind of a traveler you are. My girlfriend and I like to hang out together in our room, relaxing, reading, or doing nothing at all. To us, a balcony room is a requirement because of that. However, many people spend almost no time in their room, so a balcony is a waste of money since it's just a place to sleep. Only you know your preferences. On my cruise last week, I am so glad we had a balcony because most of the activities sounded boring and awful to us, so having a room to just kick back and relax in together was priceless.

• 20 plus cruises .... over 18 plus inside cabins.
  • Never an issue of feeling closed in.
  • Never an issue with no window as their is generally a larger wall mirror to give the illusion of a window .
  • Never stay very long in the cabin because theres so much to do.
  • Food, entertainments, drinks, etc is the same regardless of the cabin catagory
  • Money saved by having an inside cabin for excursions and other on-board costs ......PRICELESS !!!

• 20 plus cruises .... over 18 plus inside cabins.
  • Never an issue of feeling closed in.
  • Never an issue with no window as their is generally a larger wall mirror to give the illusion of a window .
  • Never stay very long in the cabin because theres so much to do.
  • Food, entertainments, drinks, etc is the same regardless of the cabin catagory
  • Money saved by having an inside cabin for excursions and other on-board costs ......PRICELESS !!!

Well said. Although I am stil lwrestling with the idea of upgrading from an inside to a balcony. Lol it's killing me!!

I love an inside cabin...and it's not totally dark...there is always light coming in from under the door from the hallway.....I have never felt closed in.....you are out of the room so much......I sleep good and naps are great...we have also had a balcony and a mini suite....they were nice....but an inside means we can do 2 cruises.....I never felt disoriented in the morning....good luck.

Totally agree with you about doing 2 cruises in inside than 1 in a balcony.

• 20 plus cruises .... Over 18 plus inside cabins.
  • never an issue of feeling closed in.
  • never an issue with no window as their is generally a larger wall mirror to give the illusion of a window .
  • never stay very long in the cabin because theres so much to do.
  • food, entertainments, drinks, etc is the same regardless of the cabin catagory
  • money saved by having an inside cabin for excursions and other on-board costs ......priceless !!!

ditto!

I love the inside cabins and have had many cruises inside. I agree with other posts. We usually have the smoothest ride and love the dark naps. It reminds me of yrs ago sleeping in the tent in late at night. Now all that being said, about to have my first balcony room in March. Hope I'm just as thrilled! Enjoy.

Thanks for that post!

I just thought about changing our inside cabin to a balcony, which means about 500 Euro total more ( this wíll be that money, we spend for a week full excursions). But last time, we only spend time for sleeping in the cabin. I liked the view in the morning, but then we left the cabin untill afternoon, we take a nap and then we left the cabin.... i think , i will not change and save the money for a cocktail :D or two :D

Well said. Although I am stil lwrestling with the idea of upgrading from an inside to a balcony. Lol it's killing me!!

Something to consider in your decision is if cruise itinerary is port intensive ? IMHO the more ports and less sea time, the less time to enjoy the balcony. The fewer the ports and the more sea days , the more time to enjoy the balcony.

Something to consider in your decision is if cruise itinerary is port intensive ? IMHO the more ports and less sea time, the less time to enjoy the balcony. The fewer the ports and the more sea days , the more time to enjoy the balcony.

We have three sea days and four port days not counting embarkation/debarkation so it's pretty even. We went ahead and upgraded to the balcony. We had the chef's table and a massage booked so we just cancelled the chef's table and massage to pay for it. We decided that we would get me enjoyment out of eight days of a balcony versus a fancy three to four hour dinner and an overpriced massage.

We have three sea days and four port days not counting embarkation/debarkation so it's pretty even. We went ahead and upgraded to the balcony. We had the chef's table and a massage booked so we just cancelled the chef's table and massage to pay for it. We decided that we would get me enjoyment out of eight days of a balcony versus a fancy three to four hour dinner and an overpriced massage.

Enjoy !

I too would have canceled the overpriced dinner and overpriced massage .

I have spent up to a month in an inside cabin, and there was no down side.

The up-side is , way better access to shore and tenders. Smooth gentle ride even in the worst seas and a heck of a savings. Location location location as the say. Being high up on the ship and on the outside will be much less comfortable in seas.

Holland America presently has the best inside cabins I have see their J main deck on the new giant Nieu Amsterdan and Eurodam. Almost 280 sg ft and square rather than rectangles. Huge baths

The absence of light at times is a blessing.. as it gives you total rest. Need to look outside? Just turn on the tv for the bridge camera.

I prefer insides now after veranda and even penthouse cabins.. I found very little advantage to a veranda except for my ego.

Just curious - How does an inside cabin get you better access to tenders?

Enjoy !

I too would have canceled the overpriced dinner and overpriced massage .

I am slowly learning the ways of cruising!

Just curious - How does an inside cabin get you better access to tenders?

Maybe more inside cabins are on lower decks making them closer to exits on port days.

Good choice! Not sure why people pay for those overpriced massages.

Enjoy your balcony!

Are inside cabins...on any ship...really claustrophobic...with NO natural light....does it get disorienting not having light to wake up to in the morning?

We had an inside cabin on our first cruise and did not think it was claustrophic at all. In fact, when we cruised into a storm at sea, it was the upper decks that were swaying with some people getting sick;:eek: however, we were gently rocked to sleep in our beds in an inside room on one of the lower decks. It was actually pretty nice! Put a night light (along with a solid room freshener) in your bathroom, and you will have light when you get up!:) You won't spend much time in your cabin anyway!

But, be aware, once you book a cabin with a balcony or a suite, you will be very spoiled and will probably never go back to an inside cabin!:cool:

Besides, how can one not have fun? You're on a cruise!!!

SilkySal

Thanks all for the great insight. I really like the idea of turning on the tV to the ship view. I'm sure we will have a great cruise!

I turn on the tv when i go to sleep and put the video feed of the Lido deck on it. I always rise with the sun because my cabin begins to fill with light. Forget alarm clocks ^^

You pays your money and takes your choice. I can see the pros for an inside cabin, especially if your not going to use it much. But I always prefer a BS or above nothing better than relaxing on your own balcony and a GS well thats the life for me :D

While the cabin tv with its bridgecam is one remedy for no window, the new Disney ships have taken it to a new level with 'virtual portholes' that are video views in real time out the side of the ship closest to the cabin.

And there are several ships like the RCI Voyageur and Freedom class that have inside cabins with a window looking down on the Royal Promenade. The QM2 has similar cabins looking down on the atrium...

my very first cruise i had inside, ever since then i get outside. i like the sun and seeing the outside even when i am below deck. and w/ and inside if you dont set an alarm you very well could sleep the day away. open your eyes and its still pitch black.. you think its night.. we would leave the bathroom light on w the door slightly open so you could see. outside all the way!! and they usually arent much more expensive. like pay the extra $$ to have a direct flight if you compare it that way

• 2 weeks later...

Love the inside. Plenty of room for us. On our Alaskan cruise we did get a balcony. We bring a night light and also sometimes just leave the bathroom light. If you do not have an alarm or wake up call you could sleep and sleep and sleep half a day off.

Archived