Euros or Lira in Istanbul

Am heading to Istanbul pre Constellation Cruise 18th Sept , paying for Transfer in Euros, can someone let me know if you can use the € widely while in Istanbul .

I've only used Turkish Lira in Istanbul since public transportation only takes it. I've also used Visa in some of the stores. I would suspect that many stores, if not most would take Euros, but I would guess at less than a favorable rate. There are some bank ATMs near the cruise terminal if you want to take a tram.

Even though many say you can use Euro in Turkey, we found that was not the case. We went on a private tour where we were quoted prices for admissions in Euro and were surprised to arrive and find that they would not accept Euro, only Lira or credit card. We usually do not carry our credit cards ashore unless we need them. We were lucky that there was someone in our group with a credit card who bought tickets for several of us and we repaid them in US funds.

If you are spending time in Istanbul wandering around things like the Grand Bazaar, the spice market etc., then I suggest you have Turkish lira with you in addition to your Euros. In my view, it is not worth the hassle of hoping the Euro is widely accepted only to find out it isn't ... might also be easier to bargain with a local vendor if you are paying with Turkish currency ... agree with other responders that suggest that the conversion rate you get with a vendor might not be the best

Edited by Slopoke15

Our guide for our tour in Ephesus in two weeks specified payment in US$.

This is what we were quoted as well but when we got to Ephesius we had to pay admission fees and all that they accepted was lira or credit card. We had neither as we had been quoted US prices. Luckily someone else from our group had a credit card and paid for all of us and we all reimbursed him.

Ephesus (and Kusadasi) is a long way from Istanbul (the place the OP is asking about). In Istanbul you can use both US dollars and Euros at certain places (like many of the vendors in the Grand (Covered) Bazaar. Taxis and restaurants may also take Euros, but you will usually not get a favorable exchange rate. Most of the major tourist places that have admission fees will quote those fees in Turkish Lira and may or may not accept Euros. However, credit cards are widely accepted at most tourist oriented places. Personally, since we tend to go off and do our own thing (sans tours) we always like to have some local currency (which we usually get from ATMs). And keep in mind that public transit (like the very convenient tram line that runs from outside the port into downtown) only accepts Lira.

Hank

In Turkish ports, euros are more widely accepted than GBP or USD.

Yes, airport transfer operators quote and accept in euros. Should be around €25. Most don't require payment up-front, you pay the driver when you get to your destination.

For admissions you'll need TL or plastic.

For trams & ferries (Istanbul) you'll need TL. Ferry tickets you buy from a manned booth, tram tickets (jetons) from a machine at the tram stop but the machines accept large denominations & give change.

Tourist boats quote & accept euros, I don't know about plastic.

Most shops & restaurants accept plastic, but I doubt you can use plastic for small purchases such as a coffee.

Most that you're likely to use also accept euros, possibly USD or GBP, but you'll get a poor rate, particularly in shops & cafes which have prices published only in TL.

Some stalls in bazaars accept plastic, esp for larger purchases, and pretty-well all of them accept any mainline currencies including euros, GBP & USD.

In fact, they'll probably also accept your first-born, your goats & your camels. ;)

Other than trivial purchases, expect to barter in bazaars. You may be more comfortable bartering in a currency that you know, and the traders will know their lowest price in any currency so which currency isn't so important.

Taxis at the port certainly accept euros, but they don't use their meters & have a dreadful reputation for rip-off prices in any currency - typically around €40 to €50 to the airport. :eek:

If your cruise ends in Istanbul, pre-book your transfer from port to airport with the operator you use for the outward transfer.

I'd suggest you buy at least some TL, to get best value out of small purchases & to avoid difficulties here & there - how much will depend how long you are in Istanbul & any other Turkish ports & whether you'll be DIY (which I recommend for Istanbul) or on organised excursions. Euros are excellent as back-up.

Remember, you will need a Turkish visa to fly in, available on-line at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Avoid other official-looking agency websites, which add a fee.

Fascinating city. However long you've arranged to stay there won't be long enough ;)

JB :)

In Turkish ports, euros are more widely accepted than GBP or USD.

Remember, you will need a Turkish visa to fly in, available on-line at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Avoid other official-looking agency websites, which add a fee.

Fascinating city. However long you've arranged to stay there won't be long enough ;)

JB :)

I could be wrong , but I was under the impression that people who were going to join a cruise ship(within 72 hours of arriving in country) didn't require a visa.I could be wrong (often am), but it is worth checking which is correct.

hopefully im not too late to change this information, I DO BELIEVE I AM WRONG! I broke my own rule of posting. I have always told myself to wait at least 10 minutes before posting, as those 10 minutes is enough time to check facts, change mind or calm down if annoyed! in this case , I checked my facts AFTER posting and found I was wrong. Sorry

Edited by louthebowler
wrong info by me!

Just to clarify - you definately need a visa if you are embarking or disembarking a ship in Turkey.

louthebowler - I see you are from Heswall, so I can say, "Hello from Heswall" as that is where we live. Small world is it not?

Just to clarify - you definately need a visa if you are embarking or disembarking a ship in Turkey.

louthebowler - I see you are from Heswall, so I can say, "Hello from Heswall" as that is where we live. Small world is it not?

It certainly is a small world, hi to you too and apologies for letting Heswall down, the last thing cruisers need is rubbish information!

• 2 weeks later...

• You will need Turkish Lira if you plan on visiting Basilica Cistern. There is a big sign out front that they do not accept credit, Euro or USD. Lira only
  • Small vendor selling simit or coffee will likely only take Lira
  • You need a visa if you are arriving via plane to embark a cruise in Istanbul, but there are machines available where you can do it in the airport however if you arrive at rush hour there may be a line.

Like others have said Lira can easily be extracted from the ATM near the port. I got $100 TL which was the equivalent of about $35 USD. It was plenty for one person. There is an ATM inside the port but there was quite a line to use it. If you are planning on using the tram there is an ATM right on the way from where you catch the tram.

I am surprised they have public washrooms in Istanbul, but for me, they will be very useful!

What sort of condition are they in and how widespread are they?

Public bathrooms can vary widely from regular toilets to the foothole and squat variety. Bring toilet tissue and handy wipes jic. :)