Air add on "deals"

kluv2cruz

Rarely, I see air add on deals - like $99 air add on to entice folks to book a cruise. Is there a way to know what cruises have these deal air add ons? I see them, but they're not at a convenient time - then when I have an available time to cruise, I can't find them. Air hugely impacts where I want to book a cruise out of because it's more than the cost of the cruise often. One time I got $99 air from SEA to HNL for a cruise back to Vancouver on RCCL. Currently NCL has a $250/person air rebate which isn't really a big savings, but it's an incentive. But - you have to trip on these offers - they don't seem to be easy to find. Anyone have ideas of where these can be sourced? All cruiselines, not just RCCL or NCL.... but not the Crystal cruises deal where you pay $10,000/person for a 7 night cruise and they throw in airfare :-)

Rarely, I see air add on deals - like $99 air add on to entice folks to book a cruise. Is there a way to know what cruises have these deal air add ons? I see them, but they're not at a convenient time

Anyone have ideas of where these can be sourced?

If a cruise line is offering such an incentive, you can bet it's because demand for certain cruises is low.... such as cruises at inconvenient times, as you've found. It's the same for a lot of the savings certificates Royal puts out... a lot of them tend to be on fall cruises, (kids are back in school, hurricanes are looming, not a great time to cruise for a lot of people). Best bet would be to figure out a way to change when you can cruise and look for the deals then. I'm guessing you'll probably also find more deals like that on longer cruises, as most people an only take a week of vacation at a time.

I see them mostly when they have low bookings and are trying to fill berths.

Frankly I wouldn't use one--it takes a full day to get there and back for cruises where they are actually worthwhile (Europe, Asia, South America) and there's no way I'm spending two days of my vacation in a middle seat that doesn't recline in order to save a few bucks--because those $99 seats are assigned at the airport based on what's left, which usually isn't much.

.....there's no way I'm spending two days of my vacation in a middle seat that doesn't recline in order to save a few bucks--because those $99 seats are assigned at the airport based on what's left, which usually isn't much.

I'm not sure you can state that not being able to choose seats is true for all cruise air tickets.

I'm not sure you can state that not being able to choose seats is true for all cruise air tickets.

it's very rare that you can jump on one of those $99 fares and choose seats. When purchasing regular choice air, sure, but those cheap-o deals are usually really restrictive in that regard.

+1. Even most consolidator tickets now allow advance seat assignments. Even when not, for someone who knows and can work the system, it is not hard to get a decent seat. Know when elites are upgraded, know when to check in or abandon check in, know how early to get to the airport when seats are released to airport control only, etc.

+1. Even most consolidator tickets now allow advance seat assignments. Even when not, for someone who knows and can work the system, it is not hard to get a decent seat. Know when elites are upgraded, know when to check in or abandon check in, know how early to get to the airport when seats are released to airport control only, etc.

Add to this "Pray nothing goes wrong" because the ticket will have the most restrictions for use if anything goes wrong anywhere in the world that backs up air traffic -- like thunderstorms, hurricanes, political strikes or unrest, airline problems (even airlines you aren't using since seats available then are lesser numbers) and the list continues. The airlines help those who have the highest class of seat, have the most loyalty status, have bought from the airline itself, have bought from agents that do lots of airline business at revenue levels that help the airline's profit level, and they don't worry much about those who are not in that pecking order. You think you have a perfectly fine ticket but when something goes wrong then you find out that your ticket is not as worthy as the folk sitting next to you. And that is a big problem for YOU. It has gotten worse lately in that the planes are fuller and less frequent. The steeply discounted ticket is great as long as there are no problems (admittedly most of the time) but just one ticket when the next flight that you MIGHT get on is a week later well your cruise left without you.

I almost always book from the airline and I chose my seat as soon as possible (never got a seat assigned with a package or cruise flight NEVER) and I insure the flight for trip cancellation, delay and interruption because if you don't get to the cruise it doesn't matter what ship or itinerary or plans you have --IT AIN"T Happening.

The reason that you are not seeing these air add-on "deals" much anymore is because the airlines have dropped flights and times that are not profitable. They are flying fewer flights and fuller loads and more weight with cargo (thus less luggage weight available for passengers) so that they can still afford to fly that plane. If the cruise line does not get a price deal from the airline they can't go but so far on their own profit margin or they can't run the ship. All providers keep a close eye on the budget or they are not in business long.

Add to this "Pray nothing goes wrong" because the ticket will have the most restrictions for use if anything goes wrong anywhere in the world that backs up air traffic -- like thunderstorms, hurricanes, political strikes or unrest, airline problems (even airlines you aren't using since seats available then are lesser numbers) and the list continues. The airlines help those who have the highest class of seat, have the most loyalty status,

I have the highest level with my carriers loyalty program, and can guarantee that I will get a seat before anyone else.

A few months ago I wanted to take an earlier flight home after a business meeting in the midwest. I went to the ticket counter, asked to standby for an earlier flight, and was put at the top of the standby list, even ahead of people who were on the list due to a cancelled flight earlier in the day. I got the seat.

That level of service is worth it's weight in gold and the reason that I will always book my own air. (And the free upgrades are another... :D )

I just booked with Delta for a land trip from DCA (Washinton DC) to MSP (Minneapolis St. Paul). I was so frustrated. I need an aisle seat because of mobility (OK also bladder!) problems. Stupid old Delta won't let you book seats that show availability because "we reserve 20% of our seats for our preferred seating program and those seats will be available at checkin up to 24 hours ahead of your flight". Good I have to reserve a MIDDLE seat and pray that I get the opportunity to pay an unannounced fee at 24 hours for a seat in 64 days. If I don't get one of the 20%reserve then I fly in the middle. Ridiculoous!!!:mad: And this is from their website. You want to take your luck with another factor (cruise lines discounted (in Delta's eyes) when a fully funded economy ticket can't choose from ALL the seats? I hate flying these days. Pitiful!!

I just booked with Delta for a land trip from DCA (Washinton DC) to MSP (Minneapolis St. Paul). I was so frustrated. I need an aisle seat because of mobility (OK also bladder!) problems.

Did you tell them you had a special need when you called? Try again and tell them because of your mobility problems you need an aisle seat. The rule of calling with airlines is if you don't get what you need, hang up and try again.

What is a "fully funded" economy ticket?

I just booked with Delta for a land trip from DCA (Washinton DC) to MSP (Minneapolis St. Paul). I was so frustrated. I need an aisle seat because of mobility (OK also bladder!) problems. Stupid old Delta won't let you book seats that show availability because "we reserve 20% of our seats for our preferred seating program

That's not exactly true. When selecting DL seats, the seat map will show the "preferred seats" in blue. Other available seats will appear gray, and include aisle seats toward the rear of the plane; you can book those in advance for no additional charge. If you don't see an available aisle seat that is not "preferred" it's simply because they have all been selected already. It never hurts to ask, so as already suggested, you can try calling Delta to plead your case. Or, if it's been less than 24 hours since your booked, cancel your ticket and try to find a different flight that still shows availability of some non-preferred aisle seats.

I'd also suggest that you keep checking. People change flights and seats. Just yesterday I changed my seats on a couple of upcoming flights because I changed my mind about where I wanted to sit for no particular reason. It actually freed up an aisle seat on two flights that anyone could book.

By the way, those preferred seats are how airlines retain the loyalty of their frequent flyers. If you were running a business, who would you want to keep happy--the person who shops there once a year or the person who shops there every week?

And, given that DL shows their seat selection maps PRIOR to purchase, you can check out various flights before you buy.

Of course, if you want to have preferred times, low pricing, AND your aisle seats.....something may very well have to give. (And did you consider a connection from DCA through JFK, ATL or DTW??)

Did you tell them you had a special need when you called? Try again and tell them because of your mobility problems you need an aisle seat. The rule of calling with airlines is if you don't get what you need, hang up and try again.

What is a "fully funded" economy ticket?

Not the lowest of the low -- category T which could be for Terrific or Toliet Bowl. It is impossible to know what you have and don't have. My ticket says category T and it cost $ that is guaranteed to be the Lowest fare for that class of ticket. Thank you very much.

And, given that DL shows their seat selection maps PRIOR to purchase, you can check out various flights before you buy.

Of course, if you want to have preferred times, low pricing, AND your aisle seats.....something may very well have to give. (And did you consider a connection from DCA through JFK, ATL or DTW??)[/quote

Of course I want it all! It's my right to always have it my way!:p This is the best of the options for this trip and I guess I don't understand why when I buy my ticket I have to chose a seat that I don't want because they hold 20% of the desired seats (aisle close to the front) for sale for $9 at the 24 hour mark. What if all seats are gone (still 65 days out) do they release the held back seats then? Is this just to get people to take the middle seats? Just not sure why they are making a paying customer mad so they will have something to offer at a later date. It is not a long flight and we will be fine but it is an example of the airlines really not trying at all to explain why this policy, why I should be happy to take a seat that I don't want for the excitement of seeing if I get a seat I do want 24 hours out when it will be way too late to chose another flight if the seat selection does not go my way. We will see if I am more satisfied with United's Economy Plus seat for the 14 hour flight to China -- at least I chose it.

I guess I don't understand why when I buy my ticket I have to chose a seat that I don't want because they hold 20% of the desired seats (aisle close to the front) for sale for $9 at the 24 hour mark. What if all seats are gone (still 65 days out) do they release the held back seats then? Is this just to get people to take the middle seats? Just not sure why they are making a paying customer mad so they will have something to offer at a later date.

Here is the reality. Ducklite has it nailed.

Delta would rather make you mad that you don't get a seat you like than have me be mad when I buy a ticket much closer to your departure than your 65 days. And at a higher price. And as part of a much larger overall purchasing pattern.

Diamond Medallion on DL is 125,000 miles+ per year. Would they rather have me be happy (and giving them that much business) or give you that prime aisle seat towards the front of coach?

From your post, I gather that you chose these flights on the basis of schedule and price. Thus, the dependent variable became seating. If having an aisle seat is the top priority, then I can assuredly find you tickets, though it might not meet your other criteria.

Not the lowest of the low -- category T which could be for Terrific or Toliet Bowl. It is impossible to know what you have and don't have. My ticket says category T and it cost $ that is guaranteed to be the Lowest fare for that class of ticket. Thank you very much.

I am really not sure what you are saying. An coach ticket on DL is a coach ticket. It doesn't matter what fare class you are in. What you have is a ticket to get you from point A to point B. And not in any specific seat, and not at any guaranteed time.

I guess I don't understand why when I buy my ticket I have to chose a seat that I don't want because they hold 20% of the desired seats (aisle close to the front) for sale for $9 at the 24 hour mark. What if all seats are gone (still 65 days out) do they release the held back seats then? Is this just to get people to take the middle seats? Just not sure why they are making a paying customer mad so they will have something to offer at a later date.

I don't think so. Most likely you will have to wait and your seat will be assigned at check in or at the gate.

As already stated, they are willing to risk making a paying customer who is only an occasional flyer mad, so that paying customers who are frequent flyers (like me :D) don't get mad when they can't get a decent seat. Sorry, but that's just the way it is; the company values those who contribute more toward their bottom line.

I just booked with Delta for a land trip from DCA (Washinton DC) to MSP (Minneapolis St. Paul). I was so frustrated. I need an aisle seat because of mobility (OK also bladder!) problems. Stupid old Delta won't let you book seats that show availability because "we reserve 20% of our seats for our preferred seating program and those seats will be available at checkin up to 24 hours ahead of your flight". Good I have to reserve a MIDDLE seat and pray that I get the opportunity to pay an unannounced fee at 24 hours for a seat in 64 days. If I don't get one of the 20%reserve then I fly in the middle. Ridiculoous!!!:mad: And this is from their website. You want to take your luck with another factor (cruise lines discounted (in Delta's eyes) when a fully funded economy ticket can't choose from ALL the seats? I hate flying these days. Pitiful!!

Guess you could always either buy a first class ticket OR rent a car and drive. (the latter is difficult for those European or Asian destinations:D)

The problem with the delta preferred seats is that there appears to be a lot more than 20 percent being held... sometimes you cannot even find 2 seats together.. unless of course they are preferred....

Yeah that's what I thought too. I was willing to buy preferred but could not even see what was available. Are the blanked out seats sold or not? From what I see on the seating plan I can only buy a middle seat. :(

On DL, "preferred" seats are not for sale. They are held for elite level flyers or those on full-fare coach tickets. Later, they are distributed at OLCI, counter check-in, or at the gate. Sometimes they are available in the days shortly before departure.

DL is introducing its Economy Comfort product to their domestic fleet, providing a similar product to what you get on international flights. Those seats ARE for sale to non-elites (similar to Economy Plus over at UA). However, it will be a while before EC is fleet-wide, so it depends on your particular aircraft.

Mea Culpa Alert.

Apparently, DL has made some changes that I was not aware of. Preferred seating is now being sold by DL to non-elite flyers. However, it can only be purchased within 24 hours of departure.

There are three webpages that describe the various DL coach seating products and how they compare. You can find them at these links:

Economy Comfort

Preferred Seating

Compare Seat Options

Sorry for any misinformation in the prior post.

Sidebar personal speculation: Although the preferred seats will be sold after the 24 hour mark, the flight still has to get out on time and with all pax. So, if there are passengers without a seat assignment, and there are only preferred seats left, the GAs will likely assign them to non-elites/non-purchasers. I would guess that they will fill up all of the seats in the back first, then backfill into "preferred" as necessary. I think that will also happen to any EC seats that remain if they need to seat pax. My hypothetical flow chart:

All passengers with assigned seats get those. Elites will get free/reduced access to EC and/or preferred at time of purchase.

Pax without seat assignments will be put in the "non-preferred" seats if available. When no non-preferred remain, pax will be put into preferred seats.

If pax still need seating, elites and full-fare may be moved from preferred into any vacant EC seats, with preferred going to the non-elites still needing seats.

Again, just speculation on my part.

Archived