Cruise Critic heads to St. Thomas/St. John

• Members

Hi all -

I'll be heading to the Virgin Islands on a port visit this month. I'll be in St. John and St. Thomas for a few days, meeting with port and tourism officials and scoping out excursions. Any questions that you have about the islands, let me know and I'll do my best to find out!

Hi all -

I'll be heading to the Virgin Islands on a port visit this month. I'll be in St. John and St. Thomas for a few days, meeting with port and tourism officials and scoping out excursions. Any questions that you have about the islands, let me know and I'll do my best to find out!

Please find out if there are any independent operators with websites that will do an Island & Beach Tour or just an Island Tour with no shopping component.

I want to know what St Thomas offers that other islands don't - like the ice sculpture gallery, Magic Ice for example. All of the islands have beaches, so it would be a big help if you could find out about unique things to do.

Thanks!

Please find out if there are any independent operators with websites that will do an Island & Beach Tour or just an Island Tour with no shopping component.

DITTO !!! Arriving on a Sunday is tough I have already encountered 2 private tour operators off on that day and another that starts the day with 3 hours shopping. thanks

Hi Chris,

Lucky you, your job sounds like fun.

We will be in St. Thomas on a SUNDAY and would like the latest info on how that impacts store hours in Charlotte Amalie, especially the Native Arts & Crafts Cooperative on Tolbod Gade.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great questions, everyone! I will do my best to find the answers. It seems like people have particular interest in the different beaches, as well as things to do on Sundays. While I'll be in the USVI tomorrow (Monday) through Friday, I will make sure to ask about weekend hours.

I'll also be reporting live from the trip on this thread, as well as putting together stories for the Lido Deck, our sister site The Independent Traveler and updating our port profiles for USVI. I'll be on a tight schedule, but I do think the islands have some new attractions since the last time our staff was down there....lots to do is a good thing!

Oh, wow! I want your job, LOL!:D

We will be in St. Thomas in just a few weeks and plan to go to St. John's via the cruise ship excursion. St. John's would be appreciated.:) There is a lot on these boards about the beaches, but very little about the kind of shops and restaurants in Cruz Bay. We have been to St. Thomas five times before, but this will be our first time to visit St. John's.

Oh, wow! I want your job, LOL!:D

We will be in St. Thomas in just a few weeks and plan to go to St. John's via the cruise ship excursion. St. John's would be appreciated.:) There is a lot on these boards about the beaches, but very little about the kind of shops and restaurants in Cruz Bay. We have been to St. Thomas five times before, but this will be our first time to visit St. John's.

St John's is absolutely beautiful. Here is some info on shops and restaurants in Cruz Bay to hold you over.

http://www.wharfsidevillage.com/index.php

Wish Princess had an excursion that would take us (tour boat/ferry)to St. John, allow us to do what we wished on our own, and would return us from St. John to the ship later in the afternoon.

LuLu

~~~

Totally agree. It's strange how Princess differs from other lines in this.

Um, why go on a ship that doesn't offer what you want? I see several posts from people who seem to prefer ports and activities not offered on their ship. Are those people cruising for free?

If you're referring to my post, I'm fairly certain that Princess not providing one specific excursion isn't even close to a "deal breaker" for me. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for any help. We were wondering if the beaches on St. John or Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas are affected by the cut back in federal funds for parks. We had heard that Sapphire especially was mostly closed down.

How easy and expensive is it to get to St. John from St. Thomas without a cruise ship excursion? I'm worried the NCL excursions won't leave enough time to explore the island.

Thanks CC!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How easy and expensive is it to get to St. John from St. Thomas without a cruise ship excursion? I'm worried the NCL excursions won't leave enough time to explore the island.

Thanks CC!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Look here for answers

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017377&highlight=on+our+own

Edited by ISLABONITA