What is the kindest thing you have seen or experienced on a cruise?

benanjerry

My mom fell and broke her hip on Celebrity Millennium. She had to be medically evacuated off the ship and flew from Nassau to Ft Lauderdale on a medical jet. When the ambulance drivers were taking her off the ship, the area by the gangway was jammed with people waiting to get off the ship. When they saw mom on the stretcher, they parted and started applauding and giving her high fives as she passed.

Awesome! Sometimes simple things like that stay with the person and that helps them get through it.

Once, when walking through a very crowded Lido buffet looking for an open spot, a man waved at me and said, "We saved you a seat." I didn't know him, but he made my day! It doesn't take much to make someone's day a little brighter.

Debbie

You are so right! Those little thoughtful gestures or courtesies make the day for the recipient and for the one who offers them. Good for the soul!

Kay

Saw a couple celebrating their 50th anniversary buy a good bottle of Champagne for the newlywed couple at the next table. The newlyweds were married the same day, 50 years after the Anniversary couple. It was so sweet! They ended up sharing desserts together.

Hopefully in 50 years that young couple will be fortunate enough to repeat the gesture and share their story.

Kay

This is a great positive post. I was on the Crown Princess last year and enjoyed a group of Knitters and Knatters that got together almost every day to do needlework.

We had cruisers from all over the world and enjoyed chatting, working on projects and laughing.

There were two sisters from Canada that cruised quite a bit. We would sit together and enjoy chatting about life. I have a health condition that makes my feet swell and one foot is always larger than the other.

I had mentioned to them that I wished I had brought slippers for when the cabin is cool and you guessed it.....they made me a custom pair of slippers! They made sure the fit was perfect on my odd sized feet.

I was so touched by the kindness. I certainly hope to meet them again and give them a hug. There is always wonderful, caring folks around and they do out number the crabby pants crowd.

Smooth sailing

6boysnana

I have something kind that I did, and something someone did for me - I like to believe it's good karma.

On a Celebrity Cruise a few years ago I saw a man and his wife waiting at the elevator. He was quite elderly and on a mobility scooter. He was making some unusual noises and his wife was upset. I asked if everything was ok - they said yes, but that the gentleman had the hiccups. I said I was sorry, that I hoped they would go away soon, thinking of when I've had them and they only last a little while. His wife then said that they had just returned from the ships Dr - and the he had been hiccuping for 3 days straight. They said they'd been to the dr multiple times and nothing worked - even some type of shot they gave him.

Usually hiccups are something to laugh at- but not in his situation. It was awful. He couldn't eat, couldn't sleep - I couldn't even imagine how terrible that must have been. We stood there talking for a while about possible "fixes" - everything I had ever heard of they had mostly tried already with no success.

They didn't have a phone or know how to use the Internet and they said they were considering medi-vac if they didn't stop and I didn't blame them, but so sad for what may have been their last vacation together.

I wished them well and asked for their cabin number in case I thought of any other cures.

I didn't have an Internet package - they were newer and more expensive back then, but I got one - and spent an hour or so on Google (it can be a wonderful tool).

I read more medical info than I will ever be able to remember - plus lots of old wives tales (lol) about cures for the hiccups.

There were a couple I hadn't heard of - so I wrote them down and off I went. I can't even remember which one it was - but I stopped by their cabin and told them what I had learned and they thanked me and said they'd give it a try.

I saw them 2 days later at a show. He looked a million times better. I went to say hi and they were so excited to see me - one of the cures worked and he had been able to have dinner and slept through the night - hiccups all gone and they were enjoying the rest of their cruise. [emoji4]

That was the best $60 bucks I've ever spent on the Internet :).

And then the kindest thing anyone did for me - it seems silly but it's not.

I am dependent on a certain OTC medication and never travel without it. Somehow, I left it behind in the bathroom in the hotel we stayed at the night before the cruise. I didn't notice until I had unpacked - and by then, I was not allowed off the ship. I frantically called the shops on board and of course they didn't carry it.

I spoke to medical - and they didn't have it either - just a different type that I could take but that would make me ill and/or uncomfortable. Bottom line, without this med the cruise would not be very enjoyable as I would be uncomfortable and not able to eat much (and that's one of the main reasons I love cruising!!).

In desperation, I actually posted on here, on my roll call - despite how embarrassing of a post it was - I did it, and an angel answered and said she had extra, enough for her and I to last the whole cruise - to come up to her cabin. I could not thank her enough. I tried to pay her, she refused to take anything, she was just happy she could help me.

I still don't think she understands how indebted I am to her. She saved my cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on a string of b2b cruises and a few days into the first cruise I fell in the shower. The way I landed I came down straddled on the elevated rim of the shower floor. It was very painful, I was really bruised, it hurt to walk, move, or do anything.

There was no point in going to the medical on the ship. I did not want pain pills. I had Tylenol and Advil I brought from home, did not want anything stronger.

Our stateroom attendant noticed I was not getting out and I told her I was having a lot of pain. She brought me a topical home remedy for the bruising and pain, and after two days of using it the pain was completely gone.

She told me how to make it and I have kept it on hand all the time since then. It works better than any topical I have ever used. She was incredibly kind.

Not what I have observed, but what I have done more then once.

After seeing a large number of pax waiting to board elevators after muster drill including some folks in wheelchairs and on scooters .... Those who were not handicapped shoved their way ahead of those with assistive devices repeatedly, as the non-mobile pax watched several elevators get filled up, but they could not get on because of the rude, me-first people. When the next empty elevator stopped, I announced loudly to the rest of the "waiters" that it was time for the handicapped pax to be able to board, and stood on one side of the doorway until they got on. Once they were all aboard, I stepped out of the way and let others also board in the remaining space that was available.

That sort of selfish behavior irks the heck out of me, and I felt I just had to do something to help!

We were on HAL's Prinsendam on our first Mediterranean cruise and about half way through (day 7 or 8) I came down with a terrible cold. I did my best to get through the day staying in our cabin, but I didn't want to subject a bunch of people to my germs over dinner, so I sent DH to the dining room on his own. I felt awful, knowing that night was going to have rack of lamb on the menu, but thought it best to stay where I was. I figured I could always order something from room service to keep me going.

About an hour after DH left the cabin, there was a knock at the door; our Head Waiter stood there with a large tray containing my dinner - rack of lamb and all the trimmings - because he didn't want me to miss having my favourite. He also brought me the dessert menu and said he would return with my order shortly. I was so touched, I almost cried - what a dear man he was. I tried to tip him and he absolutely refused, so I made sure to write a note to his supervisor to comment on his exemplary service - which he thanked me profusely for the next time we came to the dining room.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

We were on HAL's Prinsendam on our first Mediterranean cruise and about half way through (day 7 or 8) I came down with a terrible cold. I did my best to get through the day staying in our cabin, but I didn't want to subject a bunch of people to my germs over dinner, so I sent DH to the dining room on his own. I felt awful, knowing that night was going to have rack of lamb on the menu, but thought it best to stay where I was. I figured I could always order something from room service to keep me going.

About an hour after DH left the cabin, there was a knock at the door; our Head Waiter stood there with a large tray containing my dinner - rack of lamb and all the trimmings - because he didn't want me to miss having my favourite. He also brought me the dessert menu and said he would return with my order shortly. I was so touched, I almost cried - what a dear man he was. I tried to tip him and he absolutely refused, so I made sure to write a note to his supervisor to comment on his exemplary service - which he thanked me profusely for the next time we came to the dining room.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Great story!

When the doors of an elevator opened, I saw a child about seven years old who was crying and appeared quite distressed. I looked at her and said, have you lost your smile? Let us see if we can find it. She stopped crying immediately, and I believe that her parents and the other passengers appreciated the quieter ride down to the atrium.

I love this thread.... ;):D

Me, too!

On our last cruise, I had a few problems ( I am on steroids and hormones / brain tumour ) and our cabin attendant noticed I was swelled up. Without saying a word she went got me 2 pairs of the slippers they give to suite passengers because my shoes were too tight. So yeah I walked around the ship in my cushy slippers! She also asked everyday how I was and brought me whatever I needed, extra blankets, etc...

On NCL Jewel one of the dining rooms is L-shaped. People sitting in the second section have aways to walk and when both sections are full, it can be a challenge to walk the distance to exit the second section, walking through the other full section. My husband is mobility impaired and walks with a cane. We were just leaving our seats after dinner in that second section when the Maitre d came over and said, "Follow me." He led us to a nearby door that said 'authorized personnel only'. He opened it for us and it opened directly into the hallway where the elevators were, saving hubby a good distance of walking. We really appreciated it. He did that for us another night too when we'd been seated in that section.

I didn't know about Vacation Hero cards at that time or I definitely would have turned one in about him.

I have MS and am in a wheelchair and I cannot count the number of times passengers and crew alike. Have offered to help me. Be it carry my tray or get me something that I cannot reach.

Sometimes after a tired day in port a simple gesture makes one feel like a million bucks.

Prior to our recent cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette, we flew to Berlin. No Luggage. It didn't arrive when we left Berlin for Prague 3 nights later, nor did it find its way to Amsterdam where we stayed a couple nights pre-cruise.

I posted about our dilemma on our sailing's roll call and the offers to bring clothing for us from fellow cruisers who'd not yet left home were amazing.

Believe it or not, we did survive the entire 3 week trip/cruise without our bags thanks to making judicious clothing purchases and borrowing several things from our roll call friends. We finally had our lost bags returned to us at the Amsterdam airport the day we disembarked and flew home. While we are very happy to have our stuff again, we are not happy with AirBerlin's customer service- we are in a battle with them for reimbursement of the nearly $1000 in expenses incurred over their incompetence.

Prior to our recent cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette, we flew to Berlin. No Luggage. It didn't arrive when we left Berlin for Prague 3 nights later, nor did it find its way to Amsterdam where we stayed a couple nights pre-cruise.

I posted about our dilemma on our sailing's roll call and the offers to bring clothing for us from fellow cruisers who'd not yet left home were amazing.

Believe it or not, we did survive the entire 3 week trip/cruise without our bags thanks to making judicious clothing purchases and borrowing several things from our roll call friends. We finally had our lost bags returned to us at the Amsterdam airport the day we disembarked and flew home. While we are very happy to have our stuff again, we are not happy with AirBerlin's customer service- we are in a battle with them for reimbursement of the nearly $1000 in expenses incurred over their incompetence.

Sorry for the lost luggage, but what a great story about your roll call partners. On the plus side, at least you didn't have to do laundry when you got home.:)

Good luck with your battle, hopefully you will win.

My Sisters & I took my Mother on a cruise for her 88th birthday . We brought a wheel chair since she had trouble walking long distances . We lost power one evening and several young men carried my Mother in her wheelchair down two stair ways to the dining room .

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Love the thread, I have had numerous acts of kindness and such from staff. When this happens, I always fill out a comment card. Too many people are quick to complain but not too ready to praise.

You are so right. And seeing praise or thanks in writing means the world to the recipient!

This is a great positive post. I

There were two sisters from Canada that cruised quite a bit. We would sit together and enjoy chatting about life. I have a health condition that makes my feet swell and one foot is always larger than the other.

I had mentioned to them that I wished I had brought slippers for when the cabin is cool and you guessed it.....they made me a custom pair of slippers! They made sure the fit was perfect on my odd sized feet.

I was so touched by the kindness. I certainly hope to meet them again and give them a hug.

Smooth sailing

6boysnana

Hi Nana,

This was so nice for you. I once golfed with a pair of sisters from Canada who cruise ALLOT and this sounds just like them. Was one of their names Anne?

This thread is great.

I was on a caribbean cruise with my kids. At the time my DD11 had injured ankles so could not use the stairs so we were in the elevator doing down to the MDR on the FotS. At one floor a gentleman in a scooter was waiting to get in. I told my wife and DS9 to get off to give the gentleman some room, leaving DD on the elevator. A teenager I didn't know also got off and proceeded with us down the stairs.

The man's wife saw us at our table and came over to thank us and our kids, especially "your boys" because they didn't argue when I told them to make room. Didn't really clue in to the fact she was praising a kid who wasn't mine, but hey, he deserved it more as he didn't have to listen to me but did anyway.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

I was waiting in line at Guest Services to give them a credit card for my on-board account. There was a lady complaining about a noise in her cabin in front of me. Guest

Services said they would have it checked, but the lady wouldn't go. Finally, after 15 minutes, they offered the lady a bottle of wine. She smiled and walked away with the wine. I apologized to the staff, after hearing the conversation and her refusal to go. I just told them, the lady probably did that every cruise to get a freebie. The staff smiled, took my credit card and gave me a bottle of wine and thanked me. I was walking away

and they called me back and gave me a free dinner at a specialty restaurant, too. Being

nice works both ways in life!