A Flourish of Firsts on a Panama Canal Cruise

nordski

For those, like myself, who will despair at my lack of brevity let me sum up our assessment: we really enjoyed our latest cruise, Miami to San Jose, Costa Rica, on Quest.

For us, there were also a number of "firsts" on board; however, that may well reflect our lack of cruising experience, particularly in the Caribbean and Central America, and these "firsts" may be unremarkable to others. Given that fact, there may be no need to read further.

Demographics:

1/ Not surprisingly, compared to European itineraries, there were more Americans and fewer "Brits" on board than we usually encounter. This meant less pressure to raise my level of decorum and dress. :)

2/ This was our first cruise at "Discoverer's" Level and thus we received an invitation to the wonderful Officer's Brunch in Prime C. We don't know if this is typical of the number of Azamara veterans on board, but to accomodate the potential numbers this reward was assigned over several days. On the other hand, judging by a show of hands in The Cabaret, there seemed to be a lot of Azamara rookies as well.

3/ There were noticeably more cruisers with mobility issues, issues which seemed in no way to impact their enjoyment of the Azamara experience. The mobility aids ranged from a toddler's stroller to wheel chairs/scooters, a range which suggested some lesson about the potential arc of my life. :)

4/ It was the first time we have encountered a service animal on a ship. However, having personal knowledge of the breed, what was surprising to us was that it was a Border Collie. That would be, in our view, a challenge and a credit to the owner and dog for carrying it off. The Collie also might have been put to good use in herding some of the rather tardy participants in our tours.

Staff:

1/ No surprise that we re-encountered many staff members who continued to provide exemplary service and new ones who maintained that tradition. However, it was a "first" for us that CD Russ Grieve initially admitted to being a "little tired". Of course, his a "little tired" is my "bursting with energy". He continues to perform wonderfully.

2/ This was our first contact with a WWF rep. on board. A great idea which, we think, should be expanded.

3/ The other speaker, an anthropologist with considerable experience in this geographical area, was helpful in explaining and describing the Canal and the ports on the itinerary. However, he did give advice on the use of insect repellants which, in our view, was not consistent with that of the CDC or even Consumer's Reports. Best that he avoid that or just be ignored.

4/ It was our first cruise with Chef Monica and also the first time I have chatted with any Executive Chef. The food continued its fine tradition of excellence.

Land Discoveries:

1/ We used these tours in several ports and, unusually, did run into some issues. The description on Azamara's web page did not provide the necessary details and caveats for some of the choices. So much so that on board, for one of our selections, they issued a separate and clarifying "addendum" that necessitated a change in plans. The write-ups in the stateroom booklet did provide more information, but it was clear that some cruisers did not read them (nor necessarily have we in the past). We will certainly do so now. This issue was of particular concern given that, as I mentioned above, there was a wide range in the mobility of cruisers on board.

2/ The Azamazing Evening presented the pianist Ivann in an elegant theatre in Cartagena, Colombia. My wife judged it to be the best that we've been offered.

Internet:

This was our first experience of the new system and, as I posted in another thread, for us it made the unlimited package worthwhile. The downside was that we were rather more engaged in events in the "real" world than was healthy.

What Is This...."Welcome Back"????

And now the one "first" that was really jarring. Upon returning to the ship, the Security Staff issued a cheerful "Welcome Back". As experienced Azamara cruisers know this is a change and not acceptable! I expect all to join in demanding a return to the traditional greeting. We lost the "Battle of the Harpists", but let that not discourage us from taking up this "call to arms" on this issue. :)

Conclusion:

A wonderful cruise and a particularly attractive itinerary for those of us not attracted by the "sun, sand and swim" experience of the usual Caribbean itineraries.

If I may, I would suggest reading David McCullough's "Between the Seas" as a preparation for the Canal experience.

Finally, on board we attempted to book a cruise for October, 2017 and, surprisingly, all of the verandah's were already reserved. In a positive vein, we can take that as a sign of the health of the Azamara brand, but it also may suggest that future "special deals" may become less compelling.

I will try to answer any questions.

Great review nordski.....and may I be the first to say "Welcome Home". :)

Wondering whether the cruise you tried to book was October 17th on Journey? We are on that one....and would love to see you and your DW.

Ahhh, now I understand, must be a recent change then, not a deal breaker though. Thanks Lottie:)

Nice review - makes me even more cross with myself for not changing work dates and being with you. Sadly after the "hat off" or "glasses off" being the greeting of Celebrity security any welcome would have been marvellous :D:D

Isnt Monica fantastic - as indeed are all the Executive Chefs

Glad you had a good cruise

Hi Nordski,

thank you for the lovely cruise review.

I will be sure to pass along to our Hotel Management that you prefer the greeting "Welcome Home" :)

Re. not being able to book any level of veranda stateroom on the voyage in October 2017, did you inquire about availability of a GTY (guarantee)? Granted this option does not allow you to select your favorite cabin, but it would mean you're in line to get the first available veranda (once group allocations are cleared, and after any cancellations.)

Thanks for your comments, nordski. I am glad you had a good cruise.

Monica was on my cruise on the Journey last August and prepared two wonderful deck buffets (White Night and another).

I am neutral at best on "Welcome back" vs. "Welcome home." The Azamara ships, unfortunately, aren't my home, so the first iteration of the welcome is fine with me. Besides, either one means I haven't shopped so much that I missed the ship! ;)

I am neutral at best on "Welcome back" vs. "Welcome home." The Azamara ships, unfortunately, aren't my home, so the first iteration of the welcome is fine with me. Besides, either one means I haven't shopped so much that I missed the ship! ;)

Sadly the Quest and the Journey are not our home either but we certainly feel as though they are for the duration of the cruise.

We have (thankfully) never missed the ship but came quite close once in Gibraltar when we thought we had allowed enough time to stroll back from the town......

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Wondering whether the cruise you tried to book was October 17th on Journey? We are on that one....and would love to see you and your DW.

Thanks for the chuckle. And isn't it great that you (and Hazel) can return to a forum where a touch of humour isn't met with grim disapproval. :)

The cruise we were looking at was on the Quest but your itinerary looks amazing, especially the stop at Nafplion. Too many years ago that beautiful town was our first stop on road trip, in a VW beetle, around the Peloponnesus.

We will certainly consider Journey as an option. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice review - makes me even more cross with myself for not changing work dates and being with you. Sadly after the "hat off" or "glasses off" being the greeting of Celebrity security any welcome would have been marvellous :D:D

Isnt Monica fantastic - as indeed are all the Executive Chefs

Glad you had a good cruise

Thanks.

I thought Chef Monica had a real "presence" as an officer on board, both literally and figuratively.

Part of the reason we were looking at an Azamara cruise in the autumn is that we have a Solstice cruise booked for November. However, amongst other reasons, your comments and those of Phil have led us to reconsider.

We value those assessments and may well change our plans.

This just in (via email):

Thanks Bonnie for sharing - great comments. I will follow up with Security about the lack of "welcome home".

Thanks again.

Philip

Philip Herbert

Hotel Director

Well, now I feel some remorse as to my somewhat tongue-in-cheek remarks. Also I talked to the ubiquitous Philip a number of times on board and could easily have made my concerns known.

However, in my defence, to many the tag line "Welcome Home" is connected clearly with the Azamara brand and I heard it on Quest as late as this August.

And now I have to reveal a hopelessly sentimental aspect of my personality. A dear friend, who shares our love of Azamara, has been seriously ill, and we have a dream that soon she will be back on board to hear that "Welcome Home" again. It will mean a lot.

So I really appreciate your efforts to reinstate that phrase.

Hi Nordski,

thank you for the lovely cruise review.

I will be sure to pass along to our Hotel Management that you prefer the greeting "Welcome Home" :)

Re. not being able to book any level of veranda stateroom on the voyage in October 2017, did you inquire about availability of a GTY (guarantee)? Granted this option does not allow you to select your favorite cabin, but it would mean you're in line to get the first available veranda (once group allocations are cleared, and after any cancellations.)

Thanks for your suggestion.

We had not thought about GTY and will consider it,

Thanks for your comments, nordski. I am glad you had a good cruise.

Besides, either one means I haven't shopped so much that I missed the ship! ;)

As for shopping, let's just say that I don't think that this itinerary would have threatened your unbroken record for returning on time.

In fact, my DW could only release a lot of built up frustration at the San Jose airport where, unfortunately for her credit card, we had a longish wait for our flight.

On the other hand, having seen you in action, I may be once again underestimating your ability to spot an opportunity and your resolve to pursue it. :)

Sadly the Quest and the Journey are not our home either but we certainly feel as though they are for the duration of the cruise.

Thanks for the comment.

You phrased the point better than I would.

I'm convinced that even the initial welcome on board reflects the fact that Azamara will offer a unique experience, one that's difficult to describe to those who have not experienced it. In fact, when you try to do so the attempt is often met with disbelief. Considering the tasks that the staff must accomplish, especially on turn-around days, I can hardly believe it myself.

I also think that, once this tone is set, for the most part our fellow cruisers quickly adapt that friendly and helpful attitude.

I didn't mention that, at the Port of Miami, there were 5 other cruise ships docked. One was also an "R" ship with a logo that we couldn't identify.

Some sleuthing revealed that it was Fathom's "Adonia" which, I believe, will be returning to P&O's fleet after itineraries in Cuba.

The Quest's berth was exceptionally convenient, on the opposite side of the port from the crowds boarding the other ships. Our taxi driver was certainly impressed!

Some sleuthing revealed that it was Fathom's "Adonia" which, I believe, will be returning to P&O's fleet after itineraries in Cuba.

I believe after a refit, she starts sailing for P&O on 16th June 2017.

Edited by upwarduk

I know that in marketing they are interested in identifying 'influencers" who help to build a brand's prestige and sales.

And, lo and behold, one post here and your October 17th cruise is now "trending" on the Canadian website.

Coincidence??? :)

I know that in marketing they are interested in identifying 'influencers" who help to build a brand's prestige and sales.

And, lo and behold, one post here and your October 17th cruise is now "trending" on the Canadian website.

Coincidence??? :)

Oh how funny! Yes, I'm very sure it's just a coincidence nordski.

Other people have obviously just realised that it's a great and quite unusual itinerary. There are a few well known Azamara contributors on this cruise....one of whom likes to remain a bit incognito sometimes....but he's booked it too. We are going to have a lot of fun, that's for sure.....and maybe just a few Long Island Iced Tea's as well! :D

Hey nordski, glad you had a great time on Quest with some firsts. That dock in Miami is so handy, isn't it? Here's to the next one. Keep checking that cruise if you still want to go. A balcony may very well open up.

Thanks for the good wishes!

I believe after a refit, she starts sailing for P&O on 16th June 2017.

I really appreciate the added information.

There always seems to be interest in the future and fortunes of the "R" class ships.