Where to Go?

celbercrz333

We are now both over 55. We can fly to Miami from where we live. Question is there are so many cruises that leave from there. I considered the Carnival Victory going to Key West for a few hours one day and then most of a day in Cozumel, MX. Is there any cruise you'd suggest? I think the Carnival cruise would have a lot of kids on it.

We are now both over 55. We can fly to Miami from where we live. Question is there are so many cruises that leave from there. I considered the Carnival Victory going to Key West for a few hours one day and then most of a day in Cozumel, MX. Is there any cruise you'd suggest? I think the Carnival cruise would have a lot of kids on it.

We are RCCL cruisers and are over 55. We enjoy that cruise line as there is an all round age of ppl and most in our age group with better entertainment. If you are cruising over spring beak then you will find kids on every ship.

Most cruises from Florida have lots of kids. Parents take the kids out of school for a week or two, If you want to find the least number of children, consider a segment of grand voyage/world cruises. This would likely be in January if you want to embark in Florida. Cunard and HAL have cruises leaving Port Everglades in 2014.

We have cruised several different lines. If my wife and I are going ourselves, we prefer HAL, Princess, or Celebrity which will have less kids. We were on HAL last month and there were hardly any kids on the Eurodam. If we go with a group that includes young people we tend to go Royal which has a lot to offer for the younger crowd including young adults.

We prefer HAL ourselves. If there are children on board the tend to be very well behaved. We find the service and food to be excellent.

HAL has cruises in FL leaving from Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) and Tampa.

We haven't sailed Celebrity, but hear they are a good line from friends of ours.

For a no kids (except maybe at holiday time) and no program for kids and very limited smoking and the some of best food at sea try Oceania. You'll have a great experience!:D

We did that cruise several years ago (different ship), in late April, and there were kids onboard. Kids are ALWAYS onboard.

The amazing thing to me is that Carnival, and many if not all cruise lines, have a way of making it so that you only see kids when they (the cruise line) wants you to see them.

The onboard, cruise line sponsored and supervised programs keep the kids pretty busy. Parents can, of course, have their kids with them, and we saw some of that, but nothing obnoxious or annoying.

Having said that, if you take a 'spring break' or summertime cruise when school in North America is not in session....ALL bets are off. Late teens and college youth can make a big, huge, difference in the atmosphere onboard.

So timing has a lot to do with things, as you can see.

Edited by thinfool

We prefer HAL ourselves. If there are children on board the tend to be very well behaved. We find the service and food to be excellent.

HAL has cruises in FL leaving from Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) and Tampa.

We haven't sailed Celebrity, but hear they are a good line from friends of ours.

To transfer from Miami airport to Port Evergaldes, from which HAL ships sail, is about 40 minutes depending upon traffic.

You can catch a taxi...... at least we would/have.

Hubby and I love Key West. Visited the Hemingway House and Truman's vacation home and also took the trolley tour. We ate a fabulous dinner outside on the patio in a Cuban Restaurant. Loved San Juan, Puerto Rico so much we went back and spend 10 days touring the island. One of my favorite vacations of all time. We also did a Tulum excursion from Cozumel that was fantastic. But otherwise, you can keep those ports like Cozumel or Grand Cayman that are mainly shopping/bar scene stops. Or those that are heavy on shore excursions that include snorkeling or swimming with dolphins (not my thing).

Most cruises from Florida have lots of kids. Parents take the kids out of school for a week or two, If you want to find the least number of children, consider a segment of grand voyage/world cruises. This would likely be in January if you want to embark in Florida. Cunard and HAL have cruises leaving Port Everglades in 2014.

I have not found that to be true. We find that the longer the cruise the fewer the children And there are some lines that do not cater to families and have lots of seniors cruising.

~Doris~

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks everyone I have finally had a chance to get back here and read your messages. If we go, I'd prefer May because I heard that is a good time to sail. I appreciate all of your messages.

Not many choice in May most have repositioned elsewhere for the summer season

Do you only want to cruise from US ports?

Would you fly to Europe??

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We did a roundtrip Panama Canal cruise from Port Everglades in October aboard the Island Princess. My wife and I are both in our 60's (but think young) and it was absolutely the best cruise we've ever been on. The canal was amazing to see and the ports were a good mix of cultures and activities. The vast majority of passengers were over 55 and there could not have been ten children on the cruise! A couple we became friends with, said they used Princess transfers from Miami Airport and it worked well.

My suggestion, for a wonderful cruise would be to see the Panama Canal - cruising during the school year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You should do the "Around the World” 168 day cruise from Cunard. My dream cruise!!!

--------------------------------------------------------

Next Cruise

Allure of the Seas , August 3rd 2014

---------------------------------------------------------

You can't find a cruise without youngins, but the good news is you don't see that many. The ships have such good programs for the kids and that keeps them out of your hair (if you have any). My suggestion is to find an itinerary that you like in your price range and book it. Your longer cruises weed out some of the younger crowd, especially in the winter. Just avoid Spring break. We sailed once in April and it wasn't too bad even then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Joanne, You have 3,400 posts and you are asking us? Want budget, mainstream or luxury? Caribbean, Europe, where?How long? May is interesting time of year with all the repos.

That's uncalled for...sometimes we need a fresh voice no matter how many posts or cruises we have.....if you don't want help just don't!