Fresh from first visit to HMC

the2006Junket

Hi,

After benefiting from many CCer's advice on our recent cruise (last week), thought I'd share my perspective on HMC and learnings.

First of all, it's an amazing beach! Powdery sand, crystal clear water, soft, sandy bottom. Outstanding! We've been to many really great beaches (Harbor Island, Bahamas, Caneel Bay, St John's USVI, Nantucket, Ibiza, Cote d Azur, Santorini, Positano etc) and this one would rank in my top 5. Of course, it would be much better without 2500+ other people on it : ) but when you're on a cruise this is what you get!

I honestly don't understand the appeal of the cabanas and the villas. We had perfect beach weather! Hot and sunny! After a long winter, I just wanted to be outside, in the sun or under the shade of the palm trees or in the water....not inside a modest, little wooden structure huddled around an air conditioner. I just don't get it, but we're beach aficionados and I could spend a whole day with my toes in the sand or swimming in the water. We live with a few miles of the ocean here in Massachusetts and spend weeks every year on great ocean beaches so I guess others just aren't as into the sand and water? Many of the cabana people around us barely spent any time in their cabanas...I guess maybe if you have elderly family members or babies with you so that you are assured of a shady cool place? IMHO, save the $$ for your bar bill on the ship ;)

Anyway, we just used the free beach chairs down the beach past the crowds around the pirate ship. Found a spot with a couple chairs in the shade and a few in the sun. I'd RECO that you do head off the ship early if you want chairs close to the entrance or in the shade. We were fine with walking down the beach to a less populated area.

The BBQ was solid. You walk up from the beach to the buffet lines and there are many picnic tables that are shaded. A good variety of meats, salads and desserts. Nothing to rave about but decent quality. We found the lack of soda or water service on the beach to be surprising....not all of us want to drink beer at 10 in the morning :rolleyes: I asked a waiter to bring two waters...one for my 83 yr old father and he said "that won't be coming quick." In fact, it never came.

There were Carnival-orchestrated activities around the Pirate Ship that attracted probably 75 people or so for contests and such. It was noisy and we were glad we went farther down the beach so we didn't hear so much of the chatter. I know it's Carnival and that's what they do...FUN! But would've rather just had some Bob Marley played at a low volume.

I personally wouldn't bother with excursions on HMC. It's a little strip of sand in the Bahamas! Nothing really historic and even the snorkeling isn't amazing...it's just an outstanding beach day!!! Bring a book, get your bucket of water, Diet Coke and beers, rent a floating chair or mat and just enjoy the sun and water!

Pack hats, sunscreen, beach towels from the ship, and water and get ready for a perfect beach day (at least in June!!)

Enjoy!

Lynne

Thanks for the info. We will be there Jan 2015. First time there and very first cruise for our DS. He is excited beyond words. Did you happen to see the kids area? What was it like? TIA!

Edited by pinniped71

Hi Sotiris, sorry for the lack of clarity...they were beach chairs/loungers, the kind that have long places for your legs. I don't recall seeing any normal "chairs" on the beach at all. Hope you can figure out a way for your family to enjoy this wonderful beach! L

• 2 weeks later...

Please be aware there may be very long lines to get back on tender boats @ HMC. We left our cabana early to avoid long lines and stood in the baking sun for almost 2 hrs (due to 150 people crowding in front of the first line with no one to stop them). I recommend you stay on the island as long as you possibly can, then watch the line die down from the shaded bar. When the line is nearly gone, simply hop on the last tender boat. We were miserable, and I understand there are lines to deal with on a cruise, but this was beyond ridiculous. I may not get off the boat if we venture back to HMC.:(

Please be aware there may be very long lines to get back on tender boats @ HMC. We left our cabana early to avoid long lines and stood in the baking sun for almost 2 hrs (due to 150 people crowding in front of the first line with no one to stop them). I recommend you stay on the island as long as you possibly can, then watch the line die down from the shaded bar. When the line is nearly gone, simply hop on the last tender boat. We were miserable, and I understand there are lines to deal with on a cruise, but this was beyond ridiculous. I may not get off the boat if we venture back to HMC.:(

We normally depart the island in 2-2:30 range and have experienced little to no line.

The longer you stay, the longer the lines gets. Everyone tries to stay until the last tender.

We have been 9 times to HMC and going again in September. Thanks for your review. I certainly agree with you about the lack of service with water and lemonade. You must go to the lunch area or to the bar to ask for water unless you have a cabana. We have had a cabana each time we have gone and would not go without one. You asked why would anyone get a cabana. We like a cabana to have a place to keep our things, get in out of the sun when there is very little shade to be found. My husband enjoys the air conditioning after being in the hot sun for the day. We like the amenities that come with the cabana--floats, snorkel fins and goggles, fruit and drinks. We do not always go up to the bar-b-que to eat as we have fruit and veggies with us.

I think a cabana is merely a preference of likes for one. We do not drink much, if any, so we do not spend our money on cheers packages or soda packages as we prefer water. I guess we think of the cabana as our excursion for that port.

I always carry a very small collapsible umbrella to put up when I am stuck in the line coming back to the ship. It is amazing at how much comfort it gives you along with the iced wash cloths they give.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lynne, thanks so much for this info. You mentioned your 83 year old father was with you, I will be travelling with my 90 year old grandma, and like you, she loves the beach and watching the water. Would you say it was fairly easy for her to get down there and would you recommend her walking to the buffet, or me waiting in line for her and getting her food, bringing it back down to a shady area of beach? TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

This will be our first time going to HMC (last time we had to skip it due to hurricane Rita :( ). Just wondering--if we get a couple of chairs on the beach, do you just leave your stuff on them to go eat? Does this work (or it like the pool, where someone will move your stuff and take over your chairs)??

Thanks--just need to be prepared for what might happen.

ML

Hi All

This will be our first time going to HMC (last time we had to skip it due to hurricane Rita :( ). Just wondering--if we get a couple of chairs on the beach, do you just leave your stuff on them to go eat? Does this work (or it like the pool, where someone will move your stuff and take over your chairs)??

ML

I wouldn't leave my stuff. There are lots of people going back and forth and no one will be watching your things. We take turns going to the buffet and bring food and drinks back to the beach. If you want to go eat in one of the pavilions, then I suggest just packing up. You should be able to find a new spot when you get back.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Hi All

ML

I wouldn't leave anything unattended. It may quickly disappear.

We will be on the Fantasy in Oct and this is one of our ports. How is the tender? We aren't here very long either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is the tender in what sense?

Some reading down the board would reveal there are two tenders assigned to the island that have about 200 pax capability. This is most likely the way you will go from ship to shore. They are like ferry boats, medium sized, lots of seating. Very easy and comfortable. They are not the tenders on the side of the ship.

Sorry. In the sense of how long is the process. I read where ppl complained they only spent an hour on the island bc it took too long to get back to the ship. Well I guess though the ships not gonna leave without u so I don't want to be rushing. I'm on vacation 😄

I wouldn't leave my stuff. There are lots of people going back and forth and no one will be watching your things. We take turns going to the buffet and bring food and drinks back to the beach. If you want to go eat in one of the pavilions, then I suggest just packing up. You should be able to find a new spot when you get back.

I wouldn't leave anything unattended. It may quickly disappear.

Ahh, as I expected. I was thinking of taking turns but we may just take our chances and go eat together, we are tired of eating in shifts ;)

Thanks for the help

ML

Ahh, as I expected. I was thinking of taking turns but we may just take our chances and go eat together, we are tired of eating in shifts ;)

Thanks for the help

ML

One person with two plates can bring back a lot of food and you can then eat together on the beach. ;) That's what we've always done. If we want more, someone else takes a turn and brings back the food.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

We will be on the Fantasy in Oct and this is one of our ports. How is the tender? We aren't here very long either.

There are usually the two island based tenders, sometimes, there is a third, which is a private boat that assists. It is somewhat smaller and older.

It is a ten minute trip at the max. The large tenders have easy access for boarding and disembarking. The front ramp is lowered when you reach the island and you walk ashore.