Change of itinerary on the Grandeur for Dec. 10, 2016

Just received an email from RC telling us that our itinerary has changed for our Dec. cruise. Instead of St. Kitts, we are now going to Roseau, Dominica.

Has anyone ever been there before or is this a brand new port for RC? Just wonder if it is as nice as St. Kitts.

Have any other itineraries changed, or just this one?

Gwen :)

Just received an email from RC telling us that our itinerary has changed for our Dec. cruise. Instead of St. Kitts, we are now going to Roseau, Dominica.

Has anyone ever been there before or is this a brand new port for RC? Just wonder if it is as nice as St. Kitts.

Have any other itineraries changed, or just this one?

Not a brand new port, we've been there on Adventure several times.

Info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Not a brand new port, we've been there on Adventure several times.

Info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Thanks Bob. That should give me a lot of ideas and information. We only cruise from Baltimore or Bayonne, so probably why I never heard of it before. Would just like to know why the change....

Is something up with St Kitts? We have an April cruise on Serenade that is switching to St Croix

Maybe Michael Bayley went there recently and held one of the monkeys for a photo and got fleas and lice!

;) :eek: :p :D

Dominica is far superior to St. Kitts, IMO. I love it! Try river tubing or a tour with Levi Barron of Bumpiing tours. Be sure to snorkel at Champagne reef! It is an absolutely gorgeous island. Not a good one for beaches though.

Maybe Michael Bayley went there recently and held one of the monkeys for a photo and got fleas and lice!

Thank-you for that! Now I have to clean my screen.

Dominica is far superior to St. Kitts, IMO. I love it! Try river tubing or a tour with Levi Barron of Bumpiing tours. Be sure to snorkel at Champagne reef! It is an absolutely gorgeous island. Not a good one for beaches though.

Ditto. Definitely a private tour island. Levi is great. Tubing, snorkeling, Emerald Pool,Trafalgar Falls, Titou Gorge, Rainforest aerial tram, hiking, etc. Agres that it is not a beach day island.

Dominica is one of the most gorgeous places you can imagine. So lush and green, and still natural and not over-developed for cruise tourists.

And I can't say enough about Levi with Bumping Tours. He was probably the best tour guide I've ever had.

Definitely not a beach island. Nor is Rouseau particularly interesting to just hang around in. It's definitely an excursion stop if you want to really see the best the island has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is something up with St Kitts? We have an April cruise on Serenade that is switching to St Croix

Uh-oh...I'd better check my Serenade cruise now also! Nope, just checked. All is still the

same. I think it was our 10 night last February (not the 11 night next year) that went to St. Kitts.

Edited by island lady

Yuck!! Yeah, who was that ended up with some nasty infection from those? I am

NOT a fan of monkeys. :eek:

Gwen, been there a few times but did not do any tours. We're not beach people and not interested in snorkeling, swimming, etc. The shopping is very limited and if docked at the lower pier there are only 4 high end stores (DI, a leather shop), but the locals are there selling their goods. If docked at the upper pier there is only the warehouse with the locals. Nothing really around unless you take a tour. Question for those of you who have taken a tour - how are the roads; are they paved, narrow or dirt and pot holed filled. I'm not a fan of roads like this. Don't forget the bug spray if going to the forest

Theresa

Edited by psupa

Gwen, been there a few times but did not do any tours. We're not beach people and not interested in snorkeling, swimming, etc. The shopping is very limited and if docked at the lower pier there are only 4 high end stores (DI, a leather shop), but the locals are there selling their goods. If docked at the upper pier there is only the warehouse with the locals. Nothing really around unless you take a tour. Question for those of you who have taken a tour - how are the roads; are they paved, narrow or dirt and pot holed filled. I'm not a fan of roads like this

Theresa

Road up to the mountains for our culinary class: One word....SCARY!! But it was

great to see the rain forest and a free roller coaster ride! :eek: ;)

Worth it once we got up there. Scenery was beautiful! And much cooler up there

also. Rum drink with lunch made the trip down a bit easier to take. :D

Edited by island lady

Dominica is wonderful! We have been twice and gone with Levi Barron twice.

Snorkeling in the bubbles of Champagne Reef

IMG_5547.JPG

Swimming into Titou Gorge

DSC_4836.JPG

Just beautiful views

DSC_4871.JPG

Trafalgar Falls

DSC_4953.JPG

Soaking in the hot springs

DSC_4972.JPG

Leaving Roseau

DSC_5098.JPG

It was Jim aka Trainman. Poor guy!

###

Thanks, just could not remember exactly who. I know he got pretty sick!

Keep those monkeys away from me!! :eek:

In the same area there are those guys that try to slime that Aloe on you.

Yuck...they are very pushy also.

Edited by island lady

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably wait until closer to the cruise to figure out what we want to do.

Someone on our roll call called RC and asked them why the change. They said that there were too many ships in port at St. Kitts. I checked the schedule and there are 2 other ships in port on that day...Celebrity Eclipse and RC Freedom of the Seas. I guess they can't have more than 2 ships in port. Doesn't make sense to me, why we were the ship that had to cancel? Anyway, they also told them that if they didn't change the port, they would have to cancel the cruise......say what? I don't believe that at all. They could always just cruise in circles for the day. :rolleyes:

My opinion- you're lucky to have this change. Dominica is one of my favorite ports and I wish it was on more itineraries. This is an unspoiled island with great diversity of waterfalls, hot springs and rain forests. It does not look like every other island as there are none of the typical stores/shopping. We arranged for a tour with a taxi and had a great time learning about the people and the place while we saw the botanical gardens, saw beautiful vista views, hiked to the hot springs and drove past waterfalls. Enjoy seeing a Caribbean island as it is and not a commercial tourist center.