Jet Blue joins legacy lines - now charges for check bags

slidergirl

Just in case you thought you could still book Jet Blue and get free check bags:

http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

Starts today for any bookings made today and into the future. If you've already booked, you are "grandfathered" and get your freebies.

Something else: if you book JB via the 3rd party engines (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.), apparently they are only authorized to sell the cheapest class ticket, so you will have to figure in your baggage fee to get your "true" cost.

A story in USA Today gives even more news. LINK HERE.

Seat pitch will be reduced, with more seats packed into the aircraft.

Although they tout that there will be three types of fares, my own guess is that they will be subdivided in the reservations system into more buckets to allow for greater yield management. Just my hunch.

FWIW, I've heard some great reviews about Mint, but I have yet to try it.

GREAT! We applied and got the Jet Blue Amex Card to book our one-way flight to San Juan. I'm in the process of waiting to have my 20,000 points transferred over to Jet Blue to book the flight. I was happy that we would get free bags to and from, our return flight being on SW(that's already booked). I wonder if one of the benefits of their Amex card is free bags?

I also seen on Jet Blue that they won't be partnered with Amex come the end of Dec., 2015.

Anybody want to wager on how long it takes before Southwest follows suit in some form or fashion? ;)
The CEO at WN has stated that bag fees will likely come at some point when the traveling public has fully come to accept them. Then later, he backpedaled on that and said WN had "no plans" to institute fees.

If I was a wagering man, I would say that WN will at least announce the fees within the next 12 months. They may announce but delay implementation - in any case, my money is by July 1 of 2016.

Who wants in the pool?

The CEO at WN has stated that bag fees will likely come at some point when the traveling public has fully come to accept them. Then later, he backpedaled on that and said WN had "no plans" to institute fees.

If I was a wagering man, I would say that WN will at least announce the fees within the next 12 months. They may announce but delay implementation - in any case, my money is by July 1 of 2016.

Who wants in the pool?

I would bet that they will start charging for the second bag. Not sure if they would charge for both since Southwest relies on a quick turnaround. Since charging for bags would increase the amount of carry-on luggage on flights, Southwest's boarding times would increase dramatically.

Not sure what the meaning of 'legacy' lines is in this context. In Europe, 'Legacy' airlines refer to the traditional 'flag flyers' eg British Airways, Air France, Lufthansa etc. The majority of these airlines do not charge for baggage, so surely the title of this post should read 'Jet Blue LEAVES legacy lines'

I would bet that they will start charging for the second bag. Not sure if they would charge for both since Southwest relies on a quick turnaround. Since charging for bags would increase the amount of carry-on luggage on flights, Southwest's boarding times would increase dramatically.

Southwest relies on quick turnarounds that they can't make anymore. This is why they've become the most delayed mainline airline in the country. I could see them adding 10 minutes to their turnarounds and saying it's because too many people are bringing carry-ons (as a result of them charging for baggage...which I agree, will happen within the next 18 months)

Not sure what the meaning of 'legacy' lines is in this context. In Europe, 'Legacy' airlines refer to the traditional 'flag flyers' eg British Airways, Air France, Lufthansa etc. The majority of these airlines do not charge for baggage, so surely the title of this post should read 'Jet Blue LEAVES legacy lines'

In the US, the term "legacy carriers" refers to American/US Airways, United, and Delta. These airlines all charge for baggage. Seeing as JetBlue is an American carrier, they would fall under the American definition of a legacy carrier when it comes to baggage fees.

Edited by Zach1213

Who wants in the pool?

There is simply no way that in the long term, they will continue to allow 2 bags for free when no one else does. To do so is to leave money on the table. I suspect at the very least they will begin charging for a 2nd bag. Alternatively, they will charge for all bags but perhaps at a lower rate so that their new slogan can be along the lines of "lowest bag fees in the country." Of course, those fees would likely inch upward over time....

In the US, the term "legacy carriers" refers to American/US Airways, United, and Delta. These airlines all charge for baggage. Seeing as JetBlue is an American carrier, they would fall under the American definition of a legacy carrier when it comes to baggage fees.

Thanks for explaining that. Strange how the situation in US is totally different from the rest of the world, where the legacy airlines do not charge for baggage, but the Locos do.

I see that there is a $5 discount when paying the bag fee online or at a kiosk. Do any of the legacy carriers offer this?

I know United used to when they started bag fees (because I remember paying a lower fee in 2008, which was pretty much the last time I checked a bag with United on a domestic flight), but they've since gotten rid of it. I wouldn't be surprised if others did when they started it, but since got rid of it. So my guess is JetBlue will do it for a year or two, and then silently get rid of that perk.

There is simply no way that in the long term, they will continue to allow 2 bags for free when no one else does. To do so is to leave money on the table. I suspect at the very least they will begin charging for a 2nd bag. Alternatively, they will charge for all bags but perhaps at a lower rate so that their new slogan can be along the lines of "lowest bag fees in the country." Of course, those fees would likely inch upward over time....

I think this might be a good bet. Second bag will likely be charged for fairly soon if I were a betting man, with first bag being charged within 18 months. That whole "lowest bag fees in the country" is a pretty good catchphrase and I could totally see WN doing that.

I'm so glad now I booked with Delta. Have been price watching JFK-FLL-JFK for over spring break next year and was hanging on for Jet Blue especially with bag flies free policy as there are 3 of us. Saw Delta for $250 return and bit the bullet. Also bearing in mind one of the legs is on a Sunday which I know is an expensive day to travel. I was happy with the price though will still have to take a peek tomorrow when jet blue open up for March next year but at least I wont think that I could of got my bags on for free!!!! We shall see.....