Skagway question

lbfluffy

We are going to use Dyea Dave for the Emerald Lake Tour. It is a round trip tour for $79. I am considering doing the train back for an additional $84 per person. Is that worth it or should we just stick with the round trip van excursion.

We are going to use Dyea Dave for the Emerald Lake Tour. It is a round trip tour for $79. I am considering doing the train back for an additional $84 per person. Is that worth it or should we just stick with the round trip van excursion.

Not for me... (Yes, the scenery is a little different. Dave will show you the tracks were you can see them from the road.) But I'm not interested in the train ride. (AKA I can think of quite a few other ways to spend that $84 per person.)

While the train might not be for TheCalicoCat, it was for me.

I think that one should experience the train at least once. Plus if you have an opportunity to take the train and choose not to, you might regret it later.

I enjoyed taking the train and learned a lot about the Skagway area, plus you will see a different perspective of White Pass. I also loved that it was a narrow gauge railroad. Plus I had a lot of fun!

Ultimately, you need to decide the following: is this money well spent, will I enjoy the train ride and is it something I want to do, what would I not be able to do if I spend the extra money taking the train. If you decide you can afford it and want to do it, then do it. If you find the opposite, then don't do it.

The decision is yours.

While the train might not be for TheCalicoCat, it was for me.

I think that one should experience the train at least once. Plus if you have an opportunity to take the train and choose not to, you might regret it later.

I enjoyed taking the train and learned a lot about the Skagway area, plus you will see a different perspective of White Pass. I also loved that it was a narrow gauge railroad. Plus I had a lot of fun!

Ultimately, you need to decide the following: is this money well spent, will I enjoy the train ride and is it something I want to do, what would I not be able to do if I spend the extra money taking the train. If you decide you can afford it and want to do it, then do it. If you find the opposite, then don't do it.

This is our second rime to Alaska. The last one was 10 years ago. We more than likely won't be back for a while. The last time we went to Skagway we rented a car and we saw the train. I remember commenting I wanted to try it. I will continue to think about it, but I'm leaning toward yes. Will it sell out if I wait too long?

The decision is yours.

This is our second rime to Alaska. The last one was 10 years ago. We more than likely won't be back for a while. The last time we went to Skagway we rented a car and we saw the train. I remember commenting I wanted to try it. I will continue to think about it, but I'm leaning toward yes. Will it sell out if I wait too long?

We did the reverse of this with Dyea Dave last year and totally enjoyed both. The train ride up was very relaxing and the scenery was beautiful. (personally I wouldn't want to take the train round trip). Dyea met us at the stop and we continued with him on into the Yukon and then back down. Dave is kind of quirky and I can certainly appreciate that. We stopped often and had plenty of time to see things and take pictures, while listening to his unique stories.

Whether you will enjoy the train ride is something only you can decide. Some are train enthusiast and others hate the idea. We thought it was a great combo. Enjoy.

Having been on Dyea Dave’s tours in the past. I would go with him up to Emerald Lake and then catch the train back to Skagway.

Thank you. Looks like what we are doing. Should I purchase train ticket ahead of time?

Going to Alaska for the first time this summer so not an expert.

Have read in several reviews that making advance reservations is both a good idea and sometimes essential, depending on what time of year you are there.

We are going up on the train and and coming back via Chilhoot Tours. (sp???)

I have a little different take on the train. I'd rather take the train up to Frazier and beyond. My reasoning is the train travels slower going up than going down. As my main objective is taking photos I can see the photo ops ahead better than when the train is going down. I've been on the train twice once up and once down.

Thank you. Looks like what we are doing. Should I purchase train ticket ahead of time?

I would buy train ticket ahead of time. Dyea Dave stops a lot of the way up to Emerald lake with lots of narration. I thought the ride back to Skagway was a little boring, as we had just seen most of that scenery.

Yes book your train tickets ahead of time. If for some reason you decide to cancel, as long as it is within 24 hours the money is refundable minus $10. Dyea Dave will stop at the train ticket office prior to you heading up in the van and he will have you pick up the tickets. Dyea Dave will make sure you don't miss the train coming back and they will have you in an assigned train car.

I have a little different take on the train. I'd rather take the train up to Frazier and beyond. My reasoning is the train travels slower going up than going down. As my main objective is taking photos I can see the photo ops ahead better than when the train is going down. I've been on the train twice once up and once down.

I saw this flower out the car window, our driver stopped & reversed so I could get out & take a photo.

7376374522_193da80e1a.jpgDSCF8210 by Amy S, on Flickr

Be sure to let us know how you liked the train. We did the van up and train back with Chilkoot Charters in 2013 and did not enjoy the train part at all. We went again in 2014 and used Dyea Dave to take us both ways in a van, and we much preferred that trip. There are so many stops to take photos and see the awesome views that we didn't get on the train.

• 11 months later...

I booked Dyea Dave departure and the train for the return trip. I heard the train ride is wonderful and shouldn't

be missed. We're going in August 2017

I booked Dyea Dave departure and the train for the return trip. I heard the train ride is wonderful and shouldn't

be missed. We're going in August 2017

I spoke with Dyea Dave the other day, he's excited about the upcoming cruise season. Here's a little tip, sit on the right side of the bus going up and on the right side of the train coming down, you can also go out on the platform between the cars and stand, that's where I spend most of my time on the train. We've done this trip many times and it's fun day.