Emailing Maitre'd confusion?

CruizCuz

I called Carnival yesterday to clear up another matter, but while I had the rep on the phone, I asked her if she knew whether the maitre'd had gotten my email about our special seating request. It's to accommodate my mom's hearing disability. I have always emailed the maitre'd's prior to cruising with my mom, and we have found that they get the emails, because the seating requests have been honored. (BTW Thank you CC for the info on how to email the maitre'd's). The Carnival Rep said "there is NO WAY to reach a maitre'd prior to a cruise. There are NO special email addresses." This is a direct quote. She said that if we had a special request, that we shouldn't have requested a set dining time of 6:00. If we wanted to sit at a table of just the 4 of us, then we should have gotten YTD. Huh? I've never heard this one. I explained that we love have a set dining time, and getting to know our servers. They also get to know us and by night 2, are almost reading our minds. I explained that we also love to tip well. Over and WAY above what the gratuities usually are. Anyway, I realize that the reps don't always know everything, but she spoke with such certainty. Anyone ever heard of this?

Nope. Never heard of this. This rep obviously just doesn’t know. I emailed my maitre’d for my cruise this past July and he responded. I wouldn’t worry about it. Customer service reps may or may not be aware.

However, I do take issue with her vehemence. She came on a little strong, didn’t she? Humph...

The rep you talked to is "full of Poo-Poo". Of course you can contact the Maitre'd, as you know from past cruises, but unfortunately, there really isn't any way to know for sure that he/she received your message. They simply don't have time to answer each, and every e-mail they receive.

I too, greatly prefer fixed seating, and have my little "requests" that has been honored each, and every Carnival cruise. I think you're doing exactly the right thing to get your Moms problem taken care of, so don't worry about it. When you board the ship, you'll find that the Maitre'd will be available on embarkation day, usually from 1 P.M. or so for questions, and inquiries, so head over to see him/her at that time to make sure that everything is O.K., and if not, it can be taken care of at that time.

Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

Nope. Never heard of this. This rep obviously just doesn’t know. I emailed my maitre’d for my cruise this past July and he responded. I wouldn’t worry about it. Customer service reps may or may not be aware.

However, I do take issue with her vehemence. She came on a little strong, didn’t she? Humph...

Yes, she most certainly did come across strong and QUITE certain that I was wrong about having an email address for the maitre'd. The main thing that bothered me, was that she reprimanded me about choosing a fixed 6:00 dining time. She said I should know that they can only accommodate seating requests when you select YTD. Thank you for answering. I thought something might have changed.

From what I can tell in your signature, you seem to be a Platinum. Therefore, you would get priority reservations in the main dining room.

You have a valid reason to sit in a specific place, so I think they will make the accommodations.

That rep has no idea what she is talking about. You can definitely email the maitre'd ahead of time. They normally write back quickly, so you should make sure it is the right email and follow up.

How did you book the cruise, direct or through a TA? I ask his because I would contact special needs make sure it appears on the Res. If you went through a TA. And if they know what they are doing. They should be able to take care of this for you.

It's a relatively simple request, one that could also be taken care of within 5 min of being onboard, just in case all else fails.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Probably should never ask a CCL rep a question like that, there is no way for her/him to know whether or not another department received a request or not, she/he was just uninformed and gave you bad info. If you have already sent the emailed previously then assume it was received and will be acted upon if they can accommodate. All of our MDR requests have been accommodated (early dinner) in the past and I will check the MDR once I board for our upcoming 2 cruises. I have never received an answer for the MDR requests bit all have been granted.

If for some reason your request is not granted then take care of it when you board after you check the seating.

Thank you all for the responses and help. You are right that I shouldn't have asked a CCL rep about a dining room request. But all she had to say was that it wasn't something she knew - NOT state with certainty something that's incorrect. But, that said, I will take everyone's suggestions. I have emailed the maitre'd. I will check once on board to see where the table is and how many it's for. I will also check with my TA and make sure that mom's special needs are noted. I believe they are, which is why we are staying in a cabin with accommodations. But it's not for the hearing impaired. I'm not sure that CCL knows that part of the special needs. And I am sadly not Platinum....yet. But I'm getting very close!:p

It is my understanding that Maitre'd's are not expected as part of their job to respond directly to guest emails. So in fact, the Carnival rep was correct.

This ^^^^.

Just because some respond does not mean they have any obligation to do so. It isn't part of their job. There are thousands of cruisers on each cruise. What if they all decided to email the maire d'? Even better if they all had the same request?

I would expect Carnival to push back more on this in the future.

It is my understanding that Maitre'd's are not expected as part of their job to respond directly to guest emails. So in fact, the Carnival rep was correct.

I agree with this. John Heald addressed this on social media a while back. The maître d's are not required to respond to special requests that come in via email. That being said, lots of people post here they do get responses or if they don't, they realize their request has been granted once onboard. So if you get an email response, consider yourself lucky.

I called Carnival yesterday to clear up another matter, but while I had the rep on the phone, I asked her if she knew whether the maitre'd had gotten my email about our special seating request. It's to accommodate my mom's hearing disability. I have always emailed the maitre'd's prior to cruising with my mom, and we have found that they get the emails, because the seating requests have been honored. (BTW Thank you CC for the info on how to email the maitre'd's). The Carnival Rep said "there is NO WAY to reach a maitre'd prior to a cruise. There are NO special email addresses." This is a direct quote. She said that if we had a special request, that we shouldn't have requested a set dining time of 6:00. If we wanted to sit at a table of just the 4 of us, then we should have gotten YTD. Huh? I've never heard this one. I explained that we love have a set dining time, and getting to know our servers. They also get to know us and by night 2, are almost reading our minds. I explained that we also love to tip well. Over and WAY above what the gratuities usually are. Anyway, I realize that the reps don't always know everything, but she spoke with such certainty. Anyone ever heard of this?

I love to tip well too, my tip to you is to get another Carnival rep.

The official line is that the Maitre d's do not take e-mail requests and they are not obligated to answer anyone.

However, we have e-mailed the Maitre d' on all of our cruises for quite a few years now and have received an e-mail response. Having said that, I sent an e-mail last week for this coming weekend's cruise and have not received an answer. I also called the Diamond desk and my request was taken that way. If I don't received a response before we board on Thursday, we will check with the Maitre d' at the time indicated for changes. I'm sure we will get our request but we'll check to make sure.

If we wanted to sit at a table of just the 4 of us' date=' then we should have gotten YTD. Huh? I've never heard this one. I explained that we love have a set dining time, and getting to know our servers. They also get to know us...[/font']

With ATD, if you like your wait staff, you can ask to be seated in their section. Usually we have had no problems sitting in a wait staff's section.

This ^^^^.

Just because some respond does not mean they have any obligation to do so. It isn't part of their job. There are thousands of cruisers on each cruise. What if they all decided to email the maire d'? Even better if they all had the same request?

I would expect Carnival to push back more on this in the future.

I completely agree and understand. But that wasn't my question. I have in fact emailed maitre'd's on several cruises. I have NEVER received an email in response. However, it was obvious that they received them, because several came to our table to make sure mom was ok. I have never expected a response. My concern was that the CCL rep said there was no such thing as emailing the maitre'd's. She is obviously incorrect. I'm sure there are many things that not all of the PVPs know or are aware.

Thank you all for the responses and help. You are right that I shouldn't have asked a CCL rep about a dining room request. But all she had to say was that it wasn't something she knew - NOT state with certainty something that's incorrect. But, that said, I will take everyone's suggestions. I have emailed the maitre'd. I will check once on board to see where the table is and how many it's for. I will also check with my TA and make sure that mom's special needs are noted. I believe they are, which is why we are staying in a cabin with accommodations. But it's not for the hearing impaired. I'm not sure that CCL knows that part of the special needs. And I am sadly not Platinum....yet. But I'm getting very close!:p

Carnival has "hearing kits" available (sorry I can't remember the right term). They include a bed shaker & flashing light for a doorbell. Your TA should be able to find out what exactly it includes & request it, they are used in all types of cabins.

This is the official line just posted again by John Heald.

Name: Marlene-----

Message: On the Cruise Critic boards there is a discussion about e mailing the maître d. Skyway who is one of the most experienced and respected posters on Cruise Critic and a member of the 5000 Club says that you can e mail them. Some of the maître d never reply. This is not good customer relations. Can you clear this up for the millions of people who read the Carnival boards every day.

-----------------------------------------------------

... My thanks to Marlene for the opportunity for me to kindly remind all of you please, please do not e mail the maître d for dinner or table reservations.

I know a few will try and help but they really should not have the pressure of getting dozens and dozens of e mails each week. And most of our Maitre Ds may not reply and that is not as Marlene suggests “ not good customer service” but simply the fact that they do not have time and most importantly neither are they required to do so by Carnival management.

And while I greatly respect experienced cruise like Mr or Mrs “ Skyway” I would ask that nobody e mails the maître d and if you need a special request for dining that you ask me and I will certainly do all I can

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE POST MY RESPONSE ON WHEREVER THIS IS POSTED ON CRUISE CRITIC.

cheers

Back to me.

We usually tell the Maitre d's that we are going on a future cruise and we were told to contact them personally. In the past when I talked with the Maitre d's they always asked me not to tell anyone about this. Obviously everyone has been telling everyone else so now it has gotten out of hand. The PVP was right. You are not supposed to contact the Maitre d' with dining requests.

This was posted by John Heald. Guess they no longer want anyoneto e-mail the maitre'd? Sorry 'bout that.

My thanks to Marlene for the opportunity for me to kindly remind all of you please, please do not e mail the maître d for dinner or table reservations.

I know a few will try and help but they really should not have the pressure of getting dozens and dozens of e mails each week. And most of our Maitre Ds may not reply and that is not as Marlene suggests “ not good customer service” but simply the fact that they do not have time and most importantly neither are they required to do so by Carnival management.

And while I greatly respect experienced cruise like Mr or Mrs “ Skyway” I would ask that nobody e mails the maître d and if you need a special request for dining that you ask me and I will certainly do all I can

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE POST MY RESPONSE ON WHEREVER THIS IS POSTED ON CRUISE CRITIC.

I wish they would let you check off a preference like they do for the dining time and bed configuration.

Some people like the big tables and have had good luck. I haven't had bad luck but the last 2 times weren't great. I feel like I'm pressing my luck - kind of like table roulette [emoji13]

I usually post on John Heald's page to request a table for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has "hearing kits" available (sorry I can't remember the right term). They include a bed shaker & flashing light for a doorbell. Your TA should be able to find out what exactly it includes & request it, they are used in all types of cabins.

Just ONE of the many reasons I love these boards! Thank you so much for the advice. I will call our TA today!