Are bug repellents needed?

shaz246

Am going on a cruise in July that stops at Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay & Nassau.

To anyone that has been to those regions before are bugs an issue? Mosquito's, etc?

Am just starting to put my lists together of things that I need to buy and don't know whether bug repellent is a necessity?

Edited by shaz246

I brought it, but rarely used it, since I saw hardly any mosquitoes. Even on my Everglades excursion, a place I expected to be filled with them. As a general rule, beaches are usually mosquito-free, since wind and salt water keep them away. Inland excursions to jungle areas or anywhere with a body of fresh water are riskier when it comes to mosquitoes; bring a bottle of repellent with you.

Worst flies we ever encountered were in Iceland. Haven't had problems in Indonesia or other 'tropical' areas. You never know when you'll need bug protection. We now pack little mesh things to cover our heads. We were so envious of the couple who whipped them out in Iceland.

Worst flies we ever encountered were in Iceland. Haven't had problems in Indonesia or other 'tropical' areas. You never know when you'll need bug protection. We now pack little mesh things to cover our heads. We were so envious of the couple who whipped them out in Iceland.

Lake Myvatn? Or near Gulfoss?

We've been nearly everywhere in Iceland and those are the only two places we saw any bugs

It was at the end of the 'walk between North America and Europe'. Our guide warned us to expect more at Lake Myvatn in a few days, but we didn't have problems there.

Ahhh!

We had no bugs there, just the other two places (and not so bad at Myvatn)