Beware of purchasing local tours

vache

We visited St Kitts the beginning of September and decided to book a local independent tour once we arrived at the port. We’ve done this before in many ports and never had an issue. Sometimes we book with Carnival or book with a vendor we find on CC but this time we didn't. The tour price was fine a $20 PP, your seated in an area and wait for a bus to fill up with enough people to take the tour.

We got the tour diver from hell! He ranted for 3 hours about his political views, religious beliefs, racist remarks (I'm African American and so was he, his issues were with people of Asian descent), economic issues and discrimination. Our tour kept us in the most poverty stricken areas for 2 hours the tour was only supposed to be 2.5 hours. All of the vans look the same so I can't tell you which one to stay away from. However we were told they switch vans daily. Also many others who took the tour from other drivers had no issues what so ever. Just wanted to pass this information on.

We visited St Kitts the beginning of September and decided to book a local independent tour once we arrived at the port. We’ve done this before in many ports and never had an issue. Sometimes we book with Carnival or book with a vendor we find on CC but this time we didn't. The tour price was fine a $20 PP, your seated in an area and wait for a bus to fill up with enough people to take the tour.

We got the tour diver from hell! He ranted for 3 hours about his political views, religious beliefs, racist remarks (I'm African American and so was he, his issues were with people of Asian descent), economic issues and discrimination. Our tour kept us in the most poverty stricken areas for 2 hours the tour was only supposed to be 2.5 hours. All of the vans look the same so I can't tell you which one to stay away from. However we were told they switch vans daily. Also many others who took the tour from other drivers had no issues what so ever. Just wanted to pass this information on.

Thanks for heads up :eek:

More I read about this island more I think I should add it to my "not to go out of port " list ,after Beliz and Jamaica):confused:

Just book a bord tour and you'll be fine. I did in March and will return in December with my parents and probably will do again "the St.Kitts Scenic Railway". It's a shame if you see only a port area, that doesn't shows you nothing of the beauty of an Island or country. Though there are port of call like for example San Juan/Puerto Rico, where you don't have to leave the town, as there is already much to see and do.

My advice for everyone:

If you're not comfortable with a port of call, then book a bord tour, which will be fine as they are approved by the cruise company and have to have a high standard.

By all means, don't stay on board or walk only around the port area, as you'll certainly miss something. The fun and beauty are out there.

Only because one (private) driver was not up to his job that shouldn't be a reason marking an island as "not to go out of port". The same is also for Beliz and Jamaica (which I haven't visited yet, but liked to see sometimes).

Edited by onyx007

Bad tour guides are everywhere. There is no escaping them.

We were on a Holland America Line's tour in St Croix and our guide insisted and ranted on how we should never take chemo to cure cancer but only eat the natural fruits and vegetables that she was constantly recommending.

Sometimes you just have to constantly fight back with asking questions about what you are now passing to side track their rant.

Just book a bord tour and you'll be fine. I did in March and will return in December with my parents and probably will do again "the St.Kitts Scenic Railway". It's a shame if you see only a port area, that doesn't shows you nothing of the beauty of an Island or country. Though there are port of call like for example San Juan/Puerto Rico, where you don't have to leave the town, as there is already much to see and do.

My advice for everyone:

If you're not comfortable with a port of call, then book a bord tour, which will be fine as they are approved by the cruise company and have to have a high standard.

By all means, don't stay on board or walk only around the port area, as you'll certainly miss something. The fun and beauty are out there.

Only because one (private) driver was not up to his job that shouldn't be a reason marking an island as "not to go out of port". The same is also for Beliz and Jamaica (which I haven't visited yet, but liked to see sometimes).

I hate to stay in port but sometimes it's a best option. :o I would love to do Railway but price is too big for such an attraction .:rolleyes:

but price is too big for such an attraction .:rolleyes:

Then you make the wrong vacation (cruising) when you have to say that word (price too big)...(at least to something like this, which is really worth it's money). Here in Europe such historic train rides are sold out fast and will cost more then this one.

Edited by onyx007

Then you make the wrong vacation (cruising) when you have to say that word (price too big)...(at least to something like this, which is really worth it's money). Here in Europe such historic train rides are sold out fast and will cost more then this one.

Sorry ,I been doing this type of vacation for many years and I will stick to it. :rolleyes: I visited almost all carib. islands many times and $150.00 pp it's a tourist rip off for ride around small poor island. Would you please name city in Europe where rides for 1.5 hours on tarin cost more then $150.00 pp. :cool:

I visited almost all carib. islands many times and $150.00 pp it's a tourist rip off for ride around small poor island.

I don't know where you got that price, it should be around 100 $ pp.

And it doesn't matter if the majority of that island is poor; you have to pay for the railway and that's the expensive part, that this rail keeps rolling. I work for a railway and I know that to maintain security and everyting else you need everywhere a high amount of money.

And it's not only the drive it's a 4 hours trip with lots of information, two drinks, an accapela band and a bus transfer to and back to the port.

Edited by onyx007

And it doesn't matter if the majority of that island is poor; you have to pay for the railway and that's the expensive part, that this rail keeps rolling. I work for a railway and I know that to maintain security and everyting else you need everywhere a high amount of money.

And it's not only the drive it's a 4 hours trip with lots of information, two drinks, an accapela band and a bus transfer to and back to the port.

Just my opinion, but even for $100 on St. Kitts that seems like too much money. You can get a complete island tour with beverages and snacks for $45 to $60 per person that lasts 5 hours or longer for a small group. We saw the train while we were on our St. Kitts tour with Royston and it looked a bit scary.

I would look at this forum to get recommendations or the trip advisor website for tour guides. There are many good tours offered by reputable operators & it is too bad that yours turned out as it did.

I can't agree more!! That is how we found Thenford Grey Tours and he was amazing in every way!!! Enjoyed him sooooo much! What an amazing man he is, so knowledgable of his beloved Island!!!! Again, it is important to do your homework ahead of time and research your ports and check out the posts here and on trip advisor and youtube.....all good resources!! Nothing better then a review from a cruiser that just visited the island you are wishing to explore!!!!

I can't agree more!! That is how we found Thenford Grey Tours and he was amazing in every way!!! Enjoyed him sooooo much! What an amazing man he is, so knowledgable of his beloved Island!!!! Again, it is important to do your homework ahead of time and research your ports and check out the posts here and on trip advisor and youtube.....all good resources!! Nothing better then a review from a cruiser that just visited the island you are wishing to explore!!!!

I just emailed him a couple days ago and he promptly replied. I can't decide between him and Clay Viila:confused:.

Per above the Sugar Train is a good value for the money! :)

LuLu

More I read about this island more I think I should add it to my "not to go out of port " list ,after Beliz and Jamaica):confused:

St. Kitts does not deserve to be put on your list. It is a beautiful and safe island. The people aren't pushy and there are lots of fun tours to be had.

Get off the ship!

I got the price from Celebrity crusie line . $149.00

St. Kitts does not deserve to be put on your list. It is a beautiful and safe island. The people aren't pushy and there are lots of fun tours to be had.

Get off the ship!

We will get off the ship. :D after all my"stayonship" list was done AFTER we visited those islands ) :p.

We will get off the ship. :D after all my"stayonship" list was done AFTER we visited those islands ) :p.

Glad to see you are re-thinking this one.

I would highly recommend the tour offered by Royston in the windowless van. The fort was amazing and Royston knows so much about the history of the island. He will take you to places others never get to see. Drinks and a local wrap sandwich for lunch are included and his prices are fantastic.

I think that prices are negotiated between the train & the cruise line. If you are staying in St Kitts and there is not a cruise ship in port that has an agreement with the train, you can get a fare on the train that is less than the $99 price that you quote.

The celebrity Rail and Sail which includes the catamaran sail at the end of the train ride is $150. The train ride only excursion is $100.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

That explains the price difference. I had this option "Rail and Sail" as well but the additional 50 $ I thought not worthwhile to spend, but the 99 $

I thought is OK, for what you get.

If the price is too high, I wouldn't think of doing it again with my parents on our next cruise this december.

I'm not sure what your issue is with St. Kitts but it is a beautiful island with very friendly people. I always look forward to returning there. If you don't leave the port area it would just be your loss.