Is this the voice of reason for Ebola?

GalCruzer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/shepard-smith-ebola_n_5992510.html

Is is just fear and panick that is spreading faster?

:confused:

While I usually have to hold myself back from laughing at most of Fox news Commentators, this one has a good point. The media has blown this very serious problem way out of proportion. However, I do take issue with his statement that; "You should have no concerns about Ebola at all. None. I promise." 'No concerns at all' implies 100% certainty. Nothing in life is 100% certain. He might be 99.9% correct but what if you or a loved one was the .1%?

Unfortunately he criticizes the other side using the same hyperbole which, for me, diminishes his message.

I agree with Shepard Smith. I saw him last night and he is a person who comes across with authority and assurance. We need that kind of person in charge. Obama could stop most of the hysteria by doing the right thing and implementing a travel ban. When we hear that 100 VISAs are being issued every day in those hot zone areas, it triggers fear because that is the WRONG thing to do during this time.

I have a feeling Obama will announce an Ebola Czar soon and then a travel ban. The stock market will react positively and people will start feeling like finally, some sensible decisions are being made. The reasons for no travel ban make no sense to most people and just reinforce the feeling that the Obama administration is indeed working against the best interests of Americans.

While I usually have to hold myself back from laughing at most of Fox news Commentators, this one has a good point. The media has blown this very serious problem way out of proportion. However, I do take issue with his statement that; "You should have no concerns about Ebola at all. None. I promise." 'No concerns at all' implies 100% certainty. Nothing in life is 100% certain. He might be 99.9% correct but what if you or a loved one was the .1%?

Unfortunately he criticizes the other side using the same hyperbole which, for me, diminishes his message.

Yeah I thought it was a bit out there for him to imply 100% for no concerns...:rolleyes:

IMO, the panic was created and continues to be driven by the media's self-perceived need to be the the first to report the latest new detail, and of course they seem to love put a scary spin on whatever it is.

IMO, the panic was created and continues to be driven by the media's self-perceived need to be the the first to report the latest new detail, and of course they seem to love put a scary spin on whatever it is.

I agree- The mantra for the media now is."If it bleeds, it leads":(

I know, it's like I want to go on vacation just to get away from hearing about it..;)

I agree with Shepard Smith. I saw him last night and he is a person who comes across with authority and assurance. We need that kind of person in charge. Obama could stop most of the hysteria by doing the right thing and implementing a travel ban. When we hear that 100 VISAs are being issued every day in those hot zone areas, it triggers fear because that is the WRONG thing to do during this time.

I have a feeling Obama will announce an Ebola Czar soon and then a travel ban. The stock market will react positively and people will start feeling like finally, some sensible decisions are being made. The reasons for no travel ban make no sense to most people and just reinforce the feeling that the Obama administration is indeed working against the best interests of Americans.

Travel bans don't work.

1. What do you think would happen to the world market and stocks if a travel ban was implemented to countries that are in the top 5 for producing oil, gold and diamonds?

2. What is there to prevent people from that region from traveling to other areas of the world? If Ebola spreads to Europe, Asia, South America will your solution be travel bans?

3. Only 4,000 people have died from Ebola so far, only 3 in the US have been affected. Ebola has been around for at least 40 years. The yearly death toll is usually 300.

4. Other panic outbreaks before this was SARS, H1N1, the bird flu, every 5-10 years there seems to be something that might "out break" and kill lots of Americans. Every time within 3-4 weeks of the out break it dies down or science comes up with a vaccine or something to treat the problem.

So calm down and cruise on. So much hysteria over something so small.

Though Ebola is not something to take lightly, personally believe it's been blown out of proportion. More people die yearly from influenza than have died from Ebola. That doesn't make it less horrific it's only to put it into perspective.

Influenza is far more easily transferred. Unlike a cold or the flu, Ebola can't be spread until an infected person shows symptoms and at that transmission requires direct contact with that person's bodily fluids.It would be suspected that more people are flying , cruising, and traveling daily with symptoms of influenza than are currently entering the USA from countries that are currently dealing with Ebola.

Edited by xxoocruiser

"Travel bans don't work.

1. What do you think would happen to the world market and stocks if a travel ban was implemented to countries that are in the top 5 for producing oil, gold and diamonds?"

Which countries are these? Are they in the hot zone? I can't believe that a travel ban that is temporary would hurt these countries. Perhaps just a temporary stop to issuing their people Visas?

My request is sincere. I didn't realize these countries were so wealthy.

Though Ebola is not something to take lightly, personally believe it's been blown out of proportion. More people die yearly from influenza than have died from Ebola. That doesn't make it less horrific it's only to put it into perspective.

Influenza is far more easily transferred. Unlike a cold or the flu, Ebola can't be spread until an infected person shows symptoms and at that transmission requires direct contact with that person's bodily fluids.It would be suspected that more people are flying , cruising, and traveling daily with symptoms of influenza than are currently entering the USA from countries that are currently dealing with Ebola.

The reason Influenza is far more easily transferred is that can be transmitted by the air.[/i]

What concerns me is that Viruses do mutate and sometimes quickly and this particular virus (Ebola) has the 'genetic' capability (not that it has or even will yet) to become transmittable via the air. The way this happens has more to do with the numbers of people who contract Ebola--as that number grows so does the possibility (remote as it might be) that the virus gains this mutation and becomes an airborne pathogen. And THAT would be devastating. The sooner we contain and stop this outbreak the better as the longer it continues the greater the risk for mutations.

"Travel bans don't work.

1. What do you think would happen to the world market and stocks if a travel ban was implemented to countries that are in the top 5 for producing oil, gold and diamonds?"

Which countries are these? Are they in the hot zone? I can't believe that a travel ban that is temporary would hurt these countries. Perhaps just a temporary stop to issuing their people Visas?

My request is sincere. I didn't realize these countries were so wealthy.

Ghana is the number 10 producer of Gold and 9th in Diamonds while Nigeria is the 13th largest producer of oil. They use to be higher on the list 10 years ago so my top 5 statement was incorrect.

No disease for which the possible outcome is death should ever be taken lightly. That said I wish news media would be more responsible in their reporting and take some responsibility for the panic they create. We live in such a sound bite, headline reading only society that the actual facts get lost in the roar.

It is not easy to catch Ebola. It has already been shown that those nurses were not properly trained or prepared for treating the first patient. That is a harsh reality to live with and to me at least it shows we are not as ready for Ebola in this country as we should be. But it does show that not every person who has contact with an infected person will get sick. There are specific circumstances to infection for any disease.

Of course, anytime you have a bunch of people in tight quarters for long periods of time, the risk goes up if someone is sick that the illness can be passed on. So in the end - travel smart, use precautions, and be knowledgeable on the facts (not the media version). It is the best we can do.

Wondering if the reasons for no travel bans, more related to money?...The bottomline...

The bottom line is not the reason for no travel bans. The countries affected have tiny GDP's (a nations measure of wealth) vs. the U.S.. Furthermore most of the foreign companies operating there and export destinations from there are European, Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian.

Liberia is at the centre of this outbreak. That country's GDP for its 4.3 million people is U.S. $1.9 billion. Vermont's 627,000 people generate a GDP of $30 billion! Put another way, Liberia's total GDP equals the GDP of a town in Vermont with a population of 42,000.

Then why do tens of thousands die in the USA each year?

50 to 100 million died of flu in 1918.

Thankfully in close to 100 years, medicine has advanced to protect us from having a wide range of between 50 and 100 :rolleyes: million deaths from flu. Pneumonias are treated with antibiotics and flu shots actually lessen the severity or even fully protect against catching flu. Yes, some will die from flu but not likely to be 50 to 100 million dying from whichever is the flu of the year despite the fact there are millions more humans alive in the world today vs then.

Edited by sail7seas

Re: Flu death statistics. You might find this information interesting.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/03/hype-vs-evidence-of-influenza-deaths.aspx

Of course if you look at this site, it's owned by an osteopathic physician who promotes it as "The World's #1 Natural Health Website", and uses the site to sell his own line of supplements and other products.

I wouldn't trust this site to provide unbiased medical advice if it was the last medical website remaining on the Internet.