Ladies-- Pack Heavy - VS - Doing Laundry

Ladies, I would love your opinion. We are going on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise in Oct. We are flying in a few days early to enjoy some beach time. This will be a total of 11 days all together. Would you rather pack enough clothing and not have to worry about laundry or just do a load or two while on the ship?

I really hate to use my vacation time doing laundry but also don't want to have to lug huge/heavy suitcases around either. We will have to do self-assist debarkation to catch an 11:35 am return flight home out of Tampa.

Thanks, Cari :)

I pack what I want and send laundry out with our steward every 2 days. I will not do laundry on a ship! Nor will I keep dirty clothing somewhere. Just build the price of the ship's laundry into your budget. Incidentally, they do a fabulous job!

I actually LIKE doing laundry on the ship :) Weird, I know. We did 18 days (4 days precruise & 14 day cruise, incl 4 formal nights) with one checked bag each.

I find that doing a bit of laundry helps reduce my feelings of sensory overload -- all the people, the things to see, the food, the food, etc. There's just something soothing about doing something for myself.

If there is a laundry, I will use it! It's not that hard to throw a load of clothes in the washer and dryer....it's not like you're pounding them on rocks or anything!

LOL! I agree. It's not that big of a deal to do laundry. I'm very particular, so I'd rather do it myself.

We generally sail Cunard or HAl and I always use the laundry, however last year we sailed Celebrity out of Baltimore where we live-no laundry! I was pleasantly surrised by the laundry service on board!:) This year I will pack less and wash out some smalls and the rest will be sent out!:)I hate hauling around suitcases and want to get this down to carry on only! LOL:D

B.

Ladies, I would love your opinion. We are going on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise in Oct. We are flying in a few days early to enjoy some beach time. This will be a total of 11 days all together. Would you rather pack enough clothing and not have to worry about laundry or just do a load or two while on the ship?

I really hate to use my vacation time doing laundry but also don't want to have to lug huge/heavy suitcases around either. We will have to do self-assist debarkation to catch an 11:35 am return flight home out of Tampa.

I would rather pack light. I have not had the luxury of a laundry onboard, but if I did, I would do some laundry during some down time or a sea day!!

I think I'd send some of the stuff out for laundry. It won't really be all that expensive to send out a few pair of shorts and shirts, We send out my husbands underwear, I hand wash a few pair of my underwear and my bras in the sink...not a big deal I don't want them washing those delicate items anyway.

Our laundry bill for a week long cruise is around $25, it may be a bit higher for an 11 night trip. When we did a 19 day Med trip our bill came to around $100. I do have to say that it would be lower if we used laundry service only, but much of our clothing we had dry cleaning instead.

We pack one suitcase each , we can go up to 70lbs with no extra expense and we both have a carryon with wheels, good for the diet coke and wine when getting on the ship and good for goodies we find while on the cruise. I love wearing dresses , they are lighweight and look good much better than pants. If we had to wash something, which I would doubt we would send it out, not taking my time to do laundry lol I dont wear granny panties, so they dont take up much room at all :)

Looks like you have various opinions, so what else is new?:D:)

What is that old saying.....opinions are like-----we all have one;)

Some gals do laundry while on a cruise. I am not one of them.

Laundry is not hard, nobody said it was, but for me? I have no desire

to spend any time on my cruise doing it. If something needs to be

cleaned, I will send it out.

If you prefer doing it yourself go for it.

As with everything on here, different strokes for different folks:)

Thank you to everyone. As a new cruiser, I really appreciate all of the great ideas and feedback.

I gave it some thought and think that I am going to try to do a lot of mix and match. I have a nice black cocktail dress for the 2 formal nights on the cruise. As tacky as this may sound, I think I am going to wear it both nights and just change the look around by using 2 totally different silk wraps and wear my hair up one night and down for the other. In addition, I will most likely wash my own delicates and hang them to dry. I have a few sun dresses that are thin and wrinkle free as well. I will probably bring 5 pair of shorts and enough tops to mix and match with them. I always bring at least 3 bathing suits as I stay in these during the day and always want a dry one handy. I recently found a really nice saroong-wrap around that matches all of the swim suits.

The cruise is still a few months away, but after reading through these threads and post from vetren cruisers, I know that the last thing I want to do is lug a huge suitcase with me.

Once again, Thanks for all of the great ideas.

BTW-- if necessary, I may take advatage of the laundry service.

Cari in Indy :)

As tacky as this may sound, I think I am going to wear it both nights and just change the look around by using 2 totally different silk wraps and wear my hair up one night and down for the other.

Not tacky at all -- very sensible, and many of us do exactly that :)

I actually LIKE doing laundry on the ship :) Weird, I know. We did 18 days (4 days precruise & 14 day cruise, incl 4 formal nights) with one checked bag each.

I find that doing a bit of laundry helps reduce my feelings of sensory overload -- all the people, the things to see, the food, the food, etc. There's just something soothing about doing something for myself.

Also have met some interesting people while doing laundry.

I don't have any personal knowledge of this, but I have heard there are machine hoggers just like chair hoggers. They will load a machine and leave and not come back. God forbid someone removes their clothing from the machine after 5 hours, they pitch a fit. This is relaxing? I don't think so.

Since I can now check one piece of luggage FREE on Delta (thanks to American Express) I will pack heavy for my upcoming cruise. I have done laundry on-board in the past but would rather be in the pool.

We are faithful AmX users. ( Got to love those points) How does this work? Do you just need to book your Delta ticket with your AmX? Does it work on any other airline. Thanks. Cari :)

I don't have any personal knowledge of this, but I have heard there are machine hoggers just like chair hoggers. They will load a machine and leave and not come back. God forbid someone removes their clothing from the machine after 5 hours, they pitch a fit. This is relaxing? I don't think so.

Laundry machine hogs will find their washing either on the floor or on a table in a heap.

No matter how heavy, or light I pack, always seem to have enough to do a load midweek. Underwear, exercise gear (I run almost everyday) and I can't stand the thought of packing unwashed stuff at the end. After raising 3 kids and doing 3 loads almost everyday it's almost as natural as breathing...But hey, you are on vacation! Splurge and pay to have it done if you can. If not, the Purex laundry sheets are great, just a sheet to throw in the wash..no extra $ to buy detergent. And best tip I got, bring a roll of quarters onboard for the machines.

Archived