Cruise Review: QM2 New England/Canada, October 16

LostFan#1

This was our first time on any Cunard ship, and it did not disappoint. My review is likely aimed more at those who have never sailed Cunard, for you experienced ones out there probably know everything I am going to write! My husband (65) and I (62) are avid cruisers and active travelers. We drove from Maryland to the port, dropping $46 in tolls going and $22 returning! Parking is available at the pier: $23/first day, $20/day after that. I explored other options. Flying and the train would have cost more, the closest hotel would not allow us to keep our car there, and a rental car (one way) was exorbitant with drop-off fees. The positive of having our car there? No waiting for a taxi or spending 2-3 hours at the airport.

The QM2 is a gorgeous ship, beautifully decorated with fresh flowers everywhere and the largest dance floor (I am told) on the seas. It needs to be because it is the only dancing venue. The service everywhere was impeccable. Our ocean-view room, 6047, was the largest we’ve ever had and included a couch, table, chair, and still plenty of room to walk. While the room has plenty of storage, we wished for hooks on the wall for coats or robes. The bedding was nice, bed was comfortable, and the pillows were great. If you want a sheet in addition to the duvet, I am sure that is possible. I meant to request one and then never did. Our room and hallway were very quiet; we honestly never even heard the adjoining room’s toilet! While many of these boards have complained about the champagne, I was impressed with the (small) bottle iced and waiting for us in our room. Even little things already started to add up, making Cunard a step above. We’ve had robes on other cruise lines, but these are much thicker, and we had slippers as well. Towels are thicker, and the shower not only has a liner but a cloth curtain, too. The toiletries are of noticeable quality. Cotton balls and Q-tips were provided. Instead of asking for a newspaper at the front desk, it was delivered to every room each evening.

If you enjoy evening entertainment, get to the theater early, for seats filled up 45 minutes early, and posts obstruct many views. The entertainment was varied, but shows here were not much different from other cruise lines: the expected singer/dancer shows (average quality), a comedian (hilarious), and various musical artists. The latter were quite talented, especially the Opera Boys, probably the best singing act we’ve seen on any ship. Some shows were out of the normal cruise offerings: the aerialists were amazing, actors from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art performed an abbreviated Merchant of Venice one day, scenes from 1,001 Arabian Nights one evening, offered story telling classes and read bedtime and/or ghost stories several evenings; and the planetarium was spectacular! It operated on sea days only. The shows “sell out” quickly, so be in line by 9am for tickets. But don’t despair. The shows, on our sailing, were repeated the next day, and when we ended the cruise with three sea days, the same show was shown each day.

Different cruise lines have different “feels” to them, different atmospheres. We felt from the beginning the QM2 was more refined. The passengers consistently dressed well. We saw tuxedos and dark suits every one of the four formal nights, and on the other semi-formal nights, men were all in sports coats. Women dressed well, too, but of course with more variety. A minority fell outside the dress code you might expect, but overall, we’ve never seen such consistency in clothing. We truly felt we were “dining” each night. Similarly, we were impressed with the behavior of everyone. No pushing, no rudeness. Announcements were kept to a bare minimum, and even the photographers were reserved! Passengers even have to go out of their way to find the photo gallery as well as the art gallery (no art auctions). Selling takes a back seat on the ship (except for the stores which always had some “sidewalk” special going on), including no port shopping talks (thank you!!). I don’t know if it has to do with the age of the passengers, but the ship was always warm. We have sailed plenty in the fall months and been very cold in the common rooms. You won’t be cold on this ship!!

Additional notes about the ship: We were impressed with the free laundry and free detergent! Take time to read all those placards about Cunard history on the walls. We obtained listening devices from the purser's desk, but you don’t really need them unless you want even more information or stories. We found these placards very interesting. If you like to read where it’s quiet but you don’t want to go outside, large windows with high backed chairs line the corridors "A" to "B" of decks two and three, putting you very close to water level and great wave action! Some tables are here as well, with board games, puzzles, chess sets out. We felt the live music (harpist or string quartet) at every dinner was a nice touch. There’s an observation deck behind the bridge, and you can watch the officers on sea days. The gym sufficient; strangely, no treadmills face the water, but plenty were available. If you want to maneuver among the walkers, jogging is permitted on the promenade from 8am – 8pm. It is hard to be bored on this ship; you can participate in mass or Sunday services, dance lessons (ballroom and line), bingo, visit the classy art gallery, enrichment lectures, planetarium, spa lectures, darts competitions, trivia, fairly recent movies, bridge lectures and play, Apple seminars (free and fee), art class (fee), galley tour, fruit and vegetable carving, napkin folding, and musical venues. The Queens Room is the only place to dance, and it is a beautiful venue with a superb live orchestra. The dance floor was packed every evening, and wow, can these passengers dance!

We found the food very good for every meal with great variety. We are not food snobs, and while we overheard others saying they expected more from Cunard (they were first-timers, too), I honestly don’t know what more they could have wanted. We never ate breakfast or lunch in the dining room, for we found plenty at the buffet. Be sure to visit all the buffet areas; the food is not always the same. We liked how the food areas were broken up with seating areas, and many of those seating areas are secluded. Do find the Chef’s or Healthy Corner for breakfast for a variety of fruit juices, smoothies, nuts (including pumpkin seeds, shelled pistachios, and shelled pinons – we all know how expensive those last two are!), mueslis, parfaits, and yogurts. On sea days, the chefs had, in addition to the normal fare, themed buffets for lunch: Mexican, pho, seafood, cheesecake/cupcakes, Caesar & Greek salad. An Asian buffet and sushi were staples, but I don't know if that's because we had so many Japanese on board. We only ate dinner in the dining room where we had excellent service and very good food, albeit sometimes the entrees were very small. We had lobster twice, and fish and vegetarian options were on every menu. Cappuccino and espresso are free after the dinner meal, a nice touch. Light snacks were available at the coffee bar (Sir Samuel), but contrary to what these boards implied, they were free only if we ordered coffee. Formal tea was offered every afternoon, even on port days, and it was beautiful and well-attended, even by men (who were probably half of those in attendance!). The same food was also available in the buffet if you didn’t want the white gloves and conversation!

We chose self-disembarkation, and we were off the ship by 8:30, although we could have left as soon as 7am. We could stay in the room until 8:30, so we took our time at breakfast. If you want to disembark yourself, be sure to get a special key card at the purser’s desk. This was a fantastic cruise, and we hope to sail Cunard again.

Port stops: We easily got a tender at 8:15 into Newport, RI. We walked to the beginning of the Cliff Walk (1 mile, slightly uphill) and walked the entire walk. This is a beautiful walk. It is paved at the beginning but rougher the further along you go. Unless you have mobility issues, though, it is doable. We walked Bellevue Avenue back so we could see the fronts of the mansions, stopping to eat our lunch in a large park along Bellevue. Back into town, we explored the shops along Thames and the wharves, found wifi at the local library, and then wandered the historical area.

Boston – this was a long port day, and we are walkers, so we walked 1.8 miles to Boston Common and Public Gardens, enjoying both areas and getting some information at the TI before beginning the Freedom Trail. We walked the entire FT with a stop for lunch, toured the Constitution (this was the last week before it was to go into drydock), climbed the Bunker Hill monument, and walked back to Quincy Market to enjoy some street entertainment. We used a Boston app (smartphone) for the Freedom Trail, and it provided a map and information on each stop.

Bar Harbor – again, we easily got on a tender at 8:30. It was very cold. Our aim was to hike in Acadia, but the shuttle had stopped running, so I checked websites before we left and learned we could walk through town to the two- mile Great Meadow Loop and halfway along the loop access several trails; we chose the Gorge Trail. We admired the beautiful leaves on the meadow section of our hike. For the trail, we followed a stream up through the gorge with cliffs on one side, hiking mostly on rocks. When we tried the final .4 mile up to Cadillac Mt, we gave up as the huge boulders were too steep. We returned the way we came, although other trailheads were available (we just didn’t know where they ended!) and took the other half of the Meadow Loop back into town. We hiked 4.5 hours total, and by now it had gotten very windy. We'd been protected by trees on the hike. My husband sat outdoors (I was way too cold) in the Village Green and accessed wifi while I found a take out restaurant for a delicious lobster roll. We popped into several shops on our way back to the tender.

Saint John - high seas and winds prevented docking in Saint John. The staff scrambled and put out a new activities sheet.

Halifax – we had been here before and already seen Peggy’s Cove, so after a leisurely breakfast and morning run, we walked off the ship and onto the expansive, quite enjoyable Boardwalk. From there, we wandered into some shops, went inside the oldest Protestant church in Canada, saw the Old Clock, walked up to and around the Citadel, and watched glass workers at Nova Scotia Crystal. After lunch back on the ship, we went back out and walked to the public gardens and cathedral before finding wifi at the shops near ship.

Quebec – we spent several days before before, so we mostly wandered the lower and upper towns, had lunch at Casse Crepe Breton, walked the ramparts up to the citadel, walked through the woods over to the Plains of Abraham and then along the garden area of the Plains which was decorated for Halloween. We took the Governors' Walk back to town, walked through the Frontenac, and over to farmers’ market. Wifi was available in the terminal, and there was an excellent TI desk there as well.

Thanks, F-t-t, for taking the time and trouble to report your experiences on QM2. My wife and I love QM2. We have taken that same cruise (2011 and 2010); so glad that you weren't disappointed. There ought to be a law: If you go ashore at Bar Harbor, you must have a lobster roll. Next time I intend to ask the chef if he will cook a couple of fresh lobsters for me if I bring them aboard from Bar Harbor.

A terrific review, very informative & detailed. I have just forwarded it to a friend who is thinking of joining us on QM2 from Hong Kong to Sydney in February. It will be his first Cunard cruise. Thanks F-T-T.

Good review, I agree with most of your observations; especially the absence of hooks in the cabins. It would be such an easy and popular addition and has been discussed quite unsuccessfully with the hotel manager on numerous occasions. I wasn't aware that the Sir Samuel's snacks only came with a drink but I wonder whether the system has changed or you were subject to a hard sell. I've had snacks in there in the past I think without a drink. Pleased that you enjoyed the trip.

What a thorough and positive review. We loved reading it and are so glad your first Cunard was such a good one. On Cunard's other two ships there are two strong hooks on the walls for hats, visors, jackets, etc. but, strangely, not on the QM2. Each time we go on her we take 3M Company's Command Hooks that come in different sizes and hold various weights. They are easy to mount on the wall and come off easily with no marks at all. When (not if) you go on the QM2 again, you might consider taking these with you.

Great review. We were on the same cruise and my wife and I are also walkers and dancers. We did many of the same things, walked to Boston Common, etc. We lived outside of Boston for a couple of years so we had already done the Freedom Trail and the Constitution.

We did find a great event in Halifax. There is a brewery - Alexander Keith's - just off the boardwalk and they do a live re-enactment of the pub from 1820. It was a hoot, and only $20 a person, which included 2 beers, which you have to drink quickly as the show lasts about 15 - 20 minutes.

We were surprised by the new restrictions at Sir Samuels. On past cruises we would pick up a few almond Crossiants for breakfast on occasion, get a cup of coffee in the Kings Court and have a nice small and liesurely breakfast . This time when I tried they insisted I buy a cup of coffee, which of course I can get for free in the King's Court so I passed.

This is new and unwelcome. They told me I could get the almond crossiants in the King's Court or at breakfast in the Britannia but I do not believe that to be the case. I have never seen them in KC and when we asked the waiters in the Britannia they did not have them.

Not sure why they are doing this. Maybe new and overzealous staff?

Enjoyed your review, we were 1st timers on the Queen Victoria a few years back, enjoyed so much we booked OV again within 6 months. Seriously considering the OM2 for an special cruise in a year or so, want to do Canada east coast. Saw recently some pictures of the OM2 on cruisecritic... looked wonderful. Your review only makes me want to do it even more. Glad you had a great time.

We have cruised for many years, more recently on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL. Did feel Cunard was better in terms of service, food and entertainment. We especially enjoyed the dance options and theatre events .

We haven't saile:)d QM2 in awhile and very encouraged by your thorough and lovely review. Nice to know that they still offer some niceties - have read so many negative reviews. The QM2 is a special ship and I'm surprised that some don't appreciate her style and ambiance.

Like some of the other folks above, we were also on the same cruise. You did a wonderful review. I think you pretty well summed it all up. We were in the Queen's Grill and service, food, attention to detail were all top notch. Our cabin was "to die for"....huge with a wonderful veranda. Although there were 3 of us in the cabin, we were never in each other's way.

So glad you had a great time, as we did.

All of you are so kind to thank me for my time in writing the review - see, you're true Cunard folks! It was my pleasure to write the review. I know how much I enjoy reading other reviews and taking notes. How ironic so many of you also want hooks on the wall!!

Happy sailing to all of you, and thanks again for your kind words.

A nice review FTT.

The lack of hooks in QM2's cabins is also one of my bugbears. The only place to put one's outdoor jackets are on the back of the chair or squeezed into the wardrobe. Thanks to recommendations on here, we took some of the 3M Command hooks this year and they worked perfectly.

Wall hooks on the QV:

rlkjrd.jpg

I too was aboard, and have to agree with your opinion's....the QM2 is a magnificent vessel, truly in a class all by herself.

The ship's company do their part to make that so. And her passenger's are a well travelled, sophisticated lot; all combining to make a unique travel experience.

I savored every minute of the twelve days aboard, and had to tear myself away when time came to debark....

On the topic of the snacks at Sir Samuel's....

This seems to be one of those recurring subjects on many of the Cruise Critic boards....the ships that have a lobby or "atrium" cafe all seem to offer complimentary goodies, but with the expectation these will accompany a purchase of some specialty coffee or other drink. I have read many reports of varying policies from ship to ship, and even from attendant to attendant...

I have long been annoyed by the lack of hooks on the closet doors on QM2, so on our September 2014 cruise I brought my own. I bought a couple of the 3M "Damage-Free Hanging, Holds Strongly - Removes Cleanly" re-useable hooks at the local super market and they worked just fine. Inexpensive, easy to apply, held whatever I hung on them, and removed easily without leaving any residue on the closet door. I'll be bringing them, and maybe a couple of others, on our next cruise.

Great comprehensive and well organized review FTT. The only thing I wish was different was to have had the original published itinerary with a sea day right after leaving New York. It would have been a chance to unwind before starting out on the port hopping. We also could have had a nice M&G.

Seven times on QM2 and there are still places I have not tried: a drink in the Chart Room (no Churchill's there) or lunch in the Golden Lion Pub (was never in the mood for the British pub fare offered there.)

Hi Fear-the-turtle. Thanks for your review. May I ask was the ship on Code Red during your voyage?

Thanks again, -S

It was not. during my "Behind The Scene's" tour, I had a chance to speak with the chief medical officer. The med center was thankfully empty, and when I asked him, he said there were thankfully NO cased of noro reported on board...

Great review - makes me want to be in the Chart Room sipping champagne right now. I was also on that voyage.

It's nice that you mentioned the fresh flowers because so many mass market lines do not do that.

I took the floral arranging class - one of the BEST things I have ever done on QM2! I made 6 arrangements in total and we got to keep them all. My room was thoroughly decorated!