Transatlantic - Solo

TessM

I'm so excited. I booked my first transatlantic today - solo, of course. It's April 2015 on the Emerald Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona -- 17 days. I'll be able to stay in Barcelona (my favorite city) for a few days after the cruise before I have to head back to work.

But the thing that is even better than all of that...the ship stops in Sardinia!! I have been wanting to go to Sardinia - especially Alghero - for years. This will be a very memorable cruise.

I noticed a great* obstructed view cabin that was available so I emailed my travel agent. I didn't realize she works on Sunday but she set everything up for me and got me a better deal than what Princess was offering, as she usually does. But, it was even better when I checked my booking on the Princess site and noticed that I have $410 obc. -- I was expecting $285 so of course I'm thrilled. -- With a 17 day cruise, I'm going to need all the obc I can get. :)

The roll call for this cruise is already very active and at least 3 other solos on this cruise. It's funny because I never really notice (or care) if there are other solos on board. I think that's because I don't just travel solo, but I "live solo" too.

April is a long way off, but time seems to fly by these days. I'm just so thrilled to finally be able to do a transatlantic (usually the timing doesn't work for me) AND that it includes a stop in Alghero, Sardinia makes it close to perfect.

Tess

*what makes this obstructed view cabin "great" is that from the deck plans and the photos of this cabin, there doesn't appear to be any obstruction at all. :)

Hi Tess, I know you will have a wonderful time:). I would LOVE to be

able to do a TA but the timing NEVER works for me:rolleyes::(..........

Hi Celeste, which cruise are you looking at?

Sure wish I could be another one of the solos on this cruise! But I am considering an eastbound TA on Celebrity in October 2015.

i am thinking about a solo TA for my 60 in oct 2015. i have done 10 solo to the caribbean. still not sure about crossing the pond.

I have the Celebrity Silhouette booked for October 31, 2015. Would be great to have some solo cruisers joining me.

I love the transatlantic cruises. I just look up my travel records and to my surprise my wife and I had taken eleven TA cruises and loved every one of them. Since she passed away I plan to continue them and have booked one in October from Harwich to Ft. Lauderdale. We had done them on Princess, RCI, Celebrity and mostly Holland America. Was never bored on any of them.

Hi Since I live in South Fl Delray Beach I also enjoy TA. Leaving from Ft Lauderdale or Miami makes traveling very easy and enjoyable. Check your roll call and you can make friends and book excursions before you leave. Padraic which cruise line are you taking in Oct ? I am in the process of booking a TA on NCL Jade or land tour to Eastern Europe... Have a great cruise to all

Padraic which cruise line are you taking in Oct ? I am in the process of booking a TA on NCL Jade or land tour to Eastern Europe... Have a great cruise to all

I am taking the Celebrity Infinity from Harwich to Ft. Lauderdale. I plan to fly over probably four days or so before the cruise as I want to spend a day in Winchester and possibly taking a train to Hastings for a day.

Hi I looked at that cruise Looks like it will be a very relaxing cruise. There was also a cruise on the Infinity in Oct which was a wine immersion cruise that had alot of ports that I have not visited. Trying to make up my mind. Have also been on alot of cruises with different cruise lines. Trying to visit ports that I have not been before. Regards Bunny

I have the Celebrity Silhouette booked for October 31, 2015. Would be great to have some solo cruisers joining me.

Have you checked your roll call? I was pleasantly surprised how many solos have signed up for the TA I'm on.

Glad to hear so many positive solo experiences on TAs. I just figured a cruise with so many sea days sort of lends itself to being a great cruise for the solo traveler. It's wonderful to see that's the case.

Have you checked your roll call? I was pleasantly surprised how many solos have signed up for the TA I'm on.

Glad to hear so many positive solo experiences on TAs. I just figured a cruise with so many sea days sort of lends itself to being a great cruise for the solo traveler. It's wonderful to see that's the case.

So far there seems to only be 2 of us.

Hi All!

Just popping into this thread to say hello… As another Solo TA traveller.

I have done one, in October 2012 on the QM2, and am doing another in January 2015. I love the time alone and the days at sea to please ones self and do as much or as little as you want.

I was totally by myself on the first one, not knowing anyone onboard, but got to know several people. But on the one in January, there will be a group of people I know onboard, so will have people to dine with etc. but will still occupy myself during the day and do "my thing"…

Happy sailing to all us fantastic solo's! :D

T5

:)

Yay for solo TA's!

I'm on my third one this fall - Liberty of the Seas from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

On Navigator of the Seas last year, we had a table at late seating full of solos - 14 of us at the biggest table in the room. We had a fantastic time, hung out together, did tours, went to shows and the specialty restaurants, and 6 of us made up a team that won the progressive trivia game.

Fun times! (oops, that's Carnival, isn't it? :o)

• 1 month later...
Hi Tess, I know you will have a wonderful time:). I would LOVE to be

able to do a TA but the timing NEVER works for me:rolleyes::(..........

Hi Celeste, which cruise are you looking at?

I said eastbound but of course it would be westbound. The Silhouette on Oct. 31, 2015. Talk me into it!

I prefer TAs because of the sea days and the good prices. Besides, I don't even START to relax for a couple of days so I need a longer cruise.

Since I travel solo, I try to get to know a couple of people on the Roll Call before sailing so it makes the first day or two less awkward.

Edited by JoePatNYCT

I did the Silhouette TA last year. It was fabulous. Great ship, great crew and met some really nice people. The martini bar is a great meeting place after dinner.

You'll have a great time.

Am thinking about doing the ta cruise on april 15 ft lauderdale to barcelona but as a solo as concerned about so many sea days ben on 20 cruises but never a ta any thought would be appreciated.

I did a spring crossing from Florida to Portugal that involved 8 sea days, and it was wonderful. I was never bored or lonely - I had people around and things to do when I wanted to, and quiet time to relax when I wanted that too. I would be doing it again, except I elected a transpacific crossing this time (13 sea days!).