Regatta Lost Power

Aquahound

Early this morning, Regatta lost complete power while at sea enroute to Key West. Emergency power was restored after about an hour and the ship made it in to Key West but as of now, the ship has not been cleared to sail. It was scheduled to sail at 5:00. The problem still has not been fixed.

Early this morning, Regatta lost complete power while at sea enroute to Key West. Emergency power was restored after about an hour and the ship made it in to Key West but as of now, the ship has not been cleared to sail. It was scheduled to sail at 5:00. The problem still has not been fixed.

Allergic to bad ports?

Happened to us for a few hours one evening.Our January Miami to Lima cruise.We were at sea and power was lost around 8 that evening.

Was that on Regatta as well? If so perhaps something is amiss??

Anyway - good you have power and great you are underway! Bon voyage!!

In September 2013 on Regatta, I awoke to a silent ship. I had no idea how long the power had been out but it came back on at some point and I went back to sleep. In the morning, we discovered that the ship had been struck by lightening. It hit on the top deck, right next to the Cabanas and a tall pole of some sort had been blackened and nearly disintegrated.

In September 2013 on Regatta, I awoke to a silent ship. I had no idea how long the power had been out but it came back on at some point and I went back to sleep. In the morning, we discovered that the ship had been struck by lightening. It hit on the top deck, right next to the Cabanas and a tall pole of some sort had been blackened and nearly disintegrated.

Thank goodness it hit the pole

That was my biggest fear when sailing .... a 50' lightning rod :D

Was that on Regatta as well? If so perhaps something is amiss??

Anyway - good you have power and great you are underway! Bon voyage!!

Yes it was the Regatta cruise,January 2015 Miami to Lima.

This is unquestionably one of my greatest fears.

So this thread documents 2 power failures on Regatta within a couple of months. We're on Regatta in 3 weeks; I've got the feeling that I should swap out my spare pair of shoes for extra batteries. Has this been an ongoing problem with the R ships, or Regatta specifically?

Things happen. These ships are not new and were built under different requirements than ships built today. That said I would not worry about it unless I was in an area like the Amazon. Since the Carnival problem I always bring some small flashlights with me just in case. Going on Oceania they take the place of my tux.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Things happen. These ships are not new and were built under different requirements than ships built today. That said I would not worry about it unless I was in an area like the Amazon. Since the Carnival problem I always bring some small flashlights with me just in case. Going on Oceania they take the place of my tux.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

So you wear your small flashlights to dinner?

So you wear your small flashlights to dinner?

Ha ha ha - photo please :D

Seriously though - we always travel with a couple of those tiny bright torches but maybe I should pop one in my my handbag also.:confused:

No need to feel guilty, Carole -- not that I think you do.

There are plenty of people who prefer the smaller ships. I confess to being torn between the two ... I like the smaller ships but also like the additional dining choices. Then again I just adore the library on the "R" ships and have never taken to the library on the "O" ships.

Of our last four cruises, three have been on Marina, one was on Regatta, and our upcoming April cruise is on Marina. But in October '16 we are booked on Sirena ...

The simple fact, though, is that there are people who prefer the "O" class ships and there are people who prefer the "R" class ships. Yes, they are older but Oceania has maintained them very well.

We've sailed on Regatta (first time was with Renaissance when she was the R2) more times than on any other ship ... we never lost power. I'm not saying that therefore, we never will. But I don't worry about it.

Still, maybe we will add flashlights to our packing items! But that is valid as well for the newer ships.

Mura

We sailed on the QE2 when she was much older than Regatta is now ... no problems at all. Some of the woodwork in the staterooms was a bit tattered ...

The fact is that as far as I have been able to discern Oceania maintains her ships better than just about anybody. Sure, "stuff" happens. But I am not particularly worried about Regatta, Insignia, Nautica or Sirena.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Regatta when they lost power. It so happens we got to have a Bridge Tour and I asked what happened. A member of the captains staff said they were making a fuel transfer which requires a power outage. We were told it was a planned event and only lasted a short while. No big deal. We found the ship to be immaculately maintained and were impressed how the bridge can monitor and see virtually all aspects of the ship 100% of the time. I wouldn't hesitate at all to sail her again.

We were on the Regatta when they lost power. It so happens we got to have a Bridge Tour and I asked what happened. A member of the captains staff said they were making a fuel transfer which requires a power outage. We were told it was a planned event and only lasted a short while. No big deal. We found the ship to be immaculately maintained and were impressed how the bridge can monitor and see virtually all aspects of the ship 100% of the time. I wouldn't hesitate at all to sail her again.

Was the "planned Event" posted in the CURRENTS??

Usually when they are doing something like that or the crew drill it is noted in the daily CURRENTS & announced over the PA before it happens

Hello,

My wife and I were on this cruise (Mayans and Islands Mar 28th - Apr 11th) and did not know about this issue at all. I guess ignorance is bliss... Granted we did sleep in a bit on the Key West stop since we had just been there. When we departed Key West late the Captain's announcement stated we were late due to a medical emergency on another ship which delayed the linesman from casting off our lines. Was this just a ruse?

We had a great time on Regatta. This was our first time on Regatta and our second time on a R-class (1st was Pacific Princess) and it is a great ship and crew. We were on the Marina last year in the Baltic and even though we highly enjoyed the Marina, the service and small-ship vibe was superior on Regatta. Wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again... anything can happen to any ship at anytime....