Are you cruise veterans still amazed at anything?

cruznjan

I always amazed by the incredible contrast of a cruise at night. When I look over the railing at the swirling water and waves, I realize that here, on the ship, there are thousands of people, lights and noise -- a virtual Las Vegas at sea. Just a few meters into the darkness, there is incredible desolation, blackness, and nothing but the hissing surf -- sometimes hundreds of miles in every direction. Makes me really want to not fall overboard.

Wow....what a great thread. At first I thought I'd put my response and then read others but then I read them all. It is hard to add to the previous comments because most of them are mine. I find it a little funny that so many talk about being on their balconies (you know - an inside room is perfect because it is cheap scenario). There is nothing better than opening the sliding door and stepping out to our private balcony and enjoying the sights and sounds of the amazing ocean.

I never get tired of cruising. Each cruise is different. I love watching them dock, I love watching the ocean, I love..... well, I love lots of things.

• 4 weeks later...

I am amazed that our daughters met their sweethearts on two different cruises and cruise lines. Sarah married husband four years after meeting him on Carnival. Abby has been dating her boyfriend of three years after meeting him on a Royal Carribbean cruise. Now, I never believe the cruise director who says, "Have fun; you'll never see these people again.

I am also amazed at the large number of people who seem to try and find things to complain about.

Pretty much everything that's been said so far. And some specific items, like watching the pilot jump from the ship to the pilot boat, particularly in choppy waters. And watching while the ship parallel parks at some ports. Oh, and when there's a greeting or farewell performance on the pier by local dancers/musicians.

And most of all, how hard the crew works.

I am amazed that our daughters met their sweethearts on two different cruises and cruise lines. Sarah married husband four years after meeting him on Carnival. Abby has been dating her boyfriend of three years after meeting him on a Royal Carribbean cruise. Now, I never believe the cruise director who says, "Have fun; you'll never see these people again.

I am also amazed at the large number of people who seem to try and find things to complain about.

Wow!!! - so happy for ur daughters- u r right u do end u seeing some people again.

On our cruise to the British Isles......the track was on the very top deck! I enjoyed going out after dinner to walk the track just as the sun was setting and the evening ocean wind challenged me.

It amazed me that there are people out there that have never caught a glimpse of such a sight and have never had the ocean air consume them.....what majesty!

Everyone has their vices....this is mine!

After more than 20 cruises I am still amazed at the beauty and power of the ocean.

Yes the power of water is amazing.

Takes a 100,000+ ton ship and throws it around like it wasn't even there.

I'm an avid photographer and being out on deck at sunrise or sunset is incredible. You just can't see that type of view from land.

We went on the "Ultimate Ship Tour" on the Ruby Princess so we were able to see behind the scenes areas of the ship. Being able to see the bridge and have the Captain show us what goes on was really interesting. And the laundry was amazing - you don't really think about what it takes to get those clean sheets and towels to your cabin every day.

Two things---

Even on a 15 day cruise you are still seeing people you've never seen before when going thru customs. I know I would have remembered seeing a gal with Crayola red hair.

The itinerary group at the home office able to change ports (due to weather or illness, Swine flu) with little lead time.

Having a sense of wonder is fantastic!

I wouldn't want to be someone who's jaded at the prospect of a cruise!

In general, as we get older, we lose our sense of wonder; our world shrinks.

I' m amazed at the "travel plasticity" of some/most of the senior cruisers.

Harrah for those who have the ability to accept changes in plans, and adapt to new situations.

It just goes to show you, You can teach an old dog new tricks.

I still thrill at the sight of the coastline, and the speck which is going to be our port that day.

And again, retreating from that day's call, and seeing the port become just mist and a few flashing lights.

There's no comparison between arriving by sea, or arriving by air or car to a city.

I’m still amazed at the incredible engineering that goes into these ships. Water purification, sanitation, electrical power.

What it takes to feed 1,000’s of guests and crew members. I highly recommend taking ship tours. I did one on Carnival that took us into the main kitchen of the ship. Absolutely fascinating. I loved hearing the “shopping list” of food brought on each week. 40,000 eggs!!!!