Booking on board must read

scorpiony3358

I just returned from a back to back booking on the Wind which went from Rome to Ft Lauderdale and will write a review

later. This thread is to warn those booking on board to beware!

During the second leg of my cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale I received an email from Silversea regarding a special sale. This sale was for a $2,500 on board credit for one of 11 voyages. Since I travel solo I had to do my homework to find a cruise that also included this sale. In addition if booking on board I would receive a 5% discount and they were pushing an additional 10% deal if paid in full by December 30th. As I mentioned I travel solo therefore I needed to find a voyage that also included a low supplement. In additional there was a $499 business class air upgrade.

Needless to say I had to do all the work and found a voyage for June 14th on the Spirit which I sailed on twice and loved.

I informed the Silversea representative and gave her just under $2,000 as a deposit and the next day I repeat next day I was informed that I could have either the $2,500 OBC or the 10% for paying in full. I told the representative that I was going to cancel. She sent an email and the following day I was told that my trip was cancelled, BUT I was being charged $200 for cancelling. I wonder if Silversea has heard of buyers remorse which I didn't have when I cancelled.

Folks I don't know about you, but they changed the deal that was written by their representative and I am being charged. First this is very poor judgement on the part of Silversea since it was their representative who wrote the deal. Second Silversea makes it very difficult to find all the best deals especially if you're a solo traveler. Finally customer service is very important as I was an executive in a billion dollar company and we always backed the customer when our associate was wrong.

I hope that my experience opens every reader's eyes if booking on board with Silversea as it sure has with me.

That was false advertising and you don't deserve to be levied the cancellation fee. Maybe a formal complaint to corporate offices is needed to correct any misrepresentation that may have been committed. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's the way it's always been. It's either one or the other. You don't get both discount items together other than the 5% or 10% repeat customers discounts. The cancellation fee can be used on your next cruise. So relax and find your next voyage to book...

Edited by carefreecruise

That's the way it's always been. It's either one or the other. You don't get both discount items together other than the 5% or 10% repeat customers discounts.

Not true. (If Im reading that right!)

I booked the 17th March 2017 San Juan cruise.

At the time of booking, I got the 10% discount for early paying. I also got the offer of the cheap return airfare of £299.

After I'd booked, Silversea added the Silver Select offer, giving $1500 OBC (I chose a 2 category upgrade instead).... which I was given.

Then after, they also added a further $1000 for Venetian Society members - so that would have given me a 10% early booking (@£2205), cheap return airfare (@£299), then $2500 credit had I chosen to take that.

This fare was never a venetian 5% discount sailing.

FEATURED EXCLUSIVE OFFERS / PROGRAMMES:

Caribbean Air Savings: Optional roundtrip economy airfare from £299 per person

Silver Select: Book by December 30th and choose a two category upgrade, 50% saving on a second suite or $1,500* on board credit on selected 2016 & 2017 cruises

Exclusively For You — Venetian Society Savings: Our Venetian Society guests receive $1,000 shipboard credit per suite on eligible classic voyages or £400 savings on eligible Expedition voyages*

If the OP booked on the understanding the fare included all that was mentioned and not simply a case of a "change of mind", but simply because it had been misinformed and mis-sold, then no cancellation should have been changed and a full refund and apology issued IMHO.

Had that happened to me and they insisted they would keep £200, then I would do a claim back through my Credit card company on the grounds the initial payment agreed was null and void as they had changed the sale details.

Poor show SilverSea if this is the case.

On a personal note, I've had great experiences when dealing with their TA teams and a mistake they had made was left to my advantage. I sounds like the onboard agent is trying it on.

Hope you get it sorted OP

As a solo, I share your frustrations but there are a couple of different issues here.

First the $200 cancellation fee. It states clearly on the initial printed quote you should have received to look at while you were thinking about paying the deposit (please tell me you didn't pay it immediately without reading all the fine print?) that there is a $200 cancellation fee applicable from payment of the deposit. I have cancelled multiple cruises over the years but have never paid this fee because I just roll it over to another booking - very easily done.

Secondly there is the erratic way in which various discounts apply - this is much harder to guard against. I recently paid deposits for some cruises while on board to get the 5% OB savings in addition to my VS savings, and was assured that if, after I got home, I paid before Dec 30th I would also get the 10% EBB - this has been how it has worked for me in the past for other EBB cycles. However, this time SS said I could either have the 5% OB saving or the 10% EBB, not both. I set my TA on it and I have now got both discounts after it had been 'sent to upper management' but I shouldn't have had to push. SS tried to argue that 'just a conversation' with the onboard Cruise Consultant didn't apply (!) so in future I think I will ask for a written statement of my applicable discounts from the CC before paying the deposit - hopefully the (I expect) embarrassed CC will communicate back to SS reservations office that this is bad sales practice - I'm quite sure it wasn't the CC trying to mess with my discounts.

As a solo, I share your frustrations but there are a couple of different issues here.

First the $200 cancellation fee. It states clearly on the initial printed quote you should have received to look at while you were thinking about paying the deposit (please tell me you didn't pay it immediately without reading all the fine print?) that there is a $200 cancellation fee applicable from payment of the deposit. I have cancelled multiple cruises over the years but have never paid this fee because I just roll it over to another booking - very easily done.

Secondly there is the erratic way in which various discounts apply - this is much harder to guard against. I recently paid deposits for some cruises while on board to get the 5% OB savings in addition to my VS savings, and was assured that if, after I got home, I paid before Dec 30th I would also get the 10% EBB - this has been how it has worked for me in the past for other EBB cycles. However, this time SS said I could either have the 5% OB saving or the 10% EBB, not both. I set my TA on it and I have now got both discounts after it had been 'sent to upper management' but I shouldn't have had to push. SS tried to argue that 'just a conversation' with the onboard Cruise Consultant didn't apply (!) so in future I think I will ask for a written statement of my applicable discounts from the CC before paying the deposit - hopefully the (I expect) embarrassed CC will communicate back to SS reservations office that this is bad sales practice - I'm quite sure it wasn't the CC trying to mess with my discounts.

So unless you are a late booker, there seems to be zero point in booking on board as a repeat customer, since everyone can get that 10% early booking discount and 5% Venetian if applicable. Kinda negates the point of them selling on board if the answer is "wait until you get off the ship - dont take the 5% discount and book with 10% off that anyone can get regardless of sailing before".

Do you think that was a mistake the stacking offers I got and quoted above? (I have to admit it really was a great deal - probably about the best I've seen SS offer!)

So unless you are a late booker, there seems to be zero point in booking on board as a repeat customer, since everyone can get that 10% early booking discount and 5% Venetian if applicable. Kinda negates the point of them selling on board if the answer is "wait until you get off the ship - dont take the 5% discount and book with 10% off that anyone can get regardless of sailing before".

Do you think that was a mistake the stacking offers I got and quoted above? (I have to admit it really was a great deal - probably about the best I've seen SS offer!)

Well, the OB savings should be additional to VS savings and the EBB - I don't know if SS were trying it on or were in error - they caved pretty quickly with a bit of pressure - so I think it still is worth booking on board. Plus I find it easier to get the best cabin selection while on board.

As for 'stacking' offers - I don't know but I in general these sort of big sale discounts are not combinable, I would expect them to be one or the other. I don't use SS air and I don't bother looking for 'sale' offers because there never seems to be anything on the cruises that interest me at the time I want to book so I have no direct experience.

One thing of which I do have experience - I have found that whenever SS advertise a 'new, lower, solo supp', they have always increased the base fare so that the final fare is exactly the same, to the dollar!

Booking onboard is still worthwhile. Offers that are emailed by SS usually have a no combination clause, however, sometimes HO will be flexible, but only when spoken to direct. The onboard rep can only do what the client asks, but will check with HO to see if it flies.

It does not pay to rush things, to leave bookings until the last minute, and it does not pay to get angry over an answer that is not liked.

The onboard staff sometimes have a hard job to do and it is nice if they can be treated with respect.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Regarding the way it has always been wouldn't you expect that their on board cruise representative should have know? As for a next cruise that depends on what SS does as this was my 3rd cruise this year with them and 4th overall. I've already booked Oceania for Feb 2nd from Miami to Rio and I'm looking at other sailings.

Thanks for sharing this.

Based on what you said you should be making a formal complaint.

I know about the $200.00 cancellation fee but since I have never booked an On-Board Siversea cruise I am also surprised that one couldn't cancel it while still on board without incurring a fee. Yes, if it is in the fine print that is the way it is but am surprised they do it that way. Yes I realize on land that is how it works but just surprised while still on the voyage.

Regardless, if you were told one thing and booked the cruise based on what you were told and what you were told changed you should be requesting the $200.00 cancellation fee be returned.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Good luck with this.

Keith

This thread represents only one side of a story, and whilst I appreciate the OP's annoyance, this is a public forum that does not allow the other party to make a rebuttal.

I strongly suggest that readers do so understanding that this is not representative of onboard SS behaviour.

I hope the OP lets us know when his $200 is refunded.

I strongly suggest that readers do so understanding that this is not representative of onboard SS behavior

I totally agree that this incident is not representative of onboard SS behavior, however, regarding the cruise consultant IN THIS PARTICULAR CRUISE, I read in another thread that she also had worked less than satisfactorily with somebody else's onboard cruise reservation. This probably is the case of needed training, and SS would benefit if alerted to this situation.

Yes two sides to every story. We should be fair.

But sometimes fare is what you pay to get on the bus.

We also had very unsatisfactory interactions ( more than just one) with the cruise consultant, and we gave her every opportunity to provide us with service.

Not exemplary service, just plain ordinary getting back to us with what she promised.

Never did happen.

We were trying to spend our money to book a future cruise. You would think the company or their rep would be all over it.

This is a company who claims they are a luxury cruise line.

If it isn't so then don't hold yourself out as giving the service of luxury. Maybe the representative was a poor choice by the corporate office. But I can corroborate similarly poor service by the cruise consultant aboard this cruise.

We got off the cruise without a future booking aboard.

A first for us in about 7 cruises.

Silver Spectre you're right there are two sides to every story and I think I was pretty fair in telling the whole story. Regarding the $200 what I resented was that there was no time between placing the trip on board one day and cancelling the following day when the deal was changed. I would think that is pretty straight forward.

On Monday I left a message with a supervisor to call back and called again Tuesday with still no call back. Today Wednesday I called again and finally spoke with a woman today who not only took all the information, but gave me her name and extension number which I appreciated. She did ask if I was still interested and I did tell her I was and restated I would not have cancelled if SS didn't change the deal written by their on board sales representative. If SS had a better computer order taking system that would point out if something that was entered that wasn't allowed I wouldn't be wasting my time.

I was asked if I still was interested in the cruise and I did say yes provided I was compensated for having to spend my time trying to straighten out a problem that was not of my doing.

BTW I already have my next cruise booked on Oceania leaving on Feb 2nd from Miami arriving in Rio 23 nights later.

Just following up to let you all know that I've finally received the refund for my cancelled on board booking.

I had to call SS back yesterday because the person who I originally spoke with didn't get back to me. When I spoke to her it was like I was a new client. Finally after 22 mins either on hold or speaking with her she came back and said I was being issued a credit back to my CC.

I wasn't given an apology and their associate was in my opinion very cold.

While I did enjoy cruising with SS I will not be spending my money with them going forward unless I am offered a deal that is just to good to turn down. I guess SS doesn't understand the definition of customer service because this was the worse service that I have received from any company.

In closing I did leave a message with their executive department yesterday and I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to get back to me.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to let all know that I dealt with Mr. Mark Conway and his assistant at SS corporate and today I rebooked the original cruise receiving all the discounts as originally discussed on board and while I didn't receive the full OBC I am very happy with how my issue was resolved. I am now looking forward to my third cruise on the Silver Spirit June 14th.

I just wanted to let all know that I dealt with Mr. Mark Conway and his assistant at SS corporate and today I rebooked the original cruise receiving all the discounts as originally discussed on board and while I didn't receive the full OBC I am very happy with how my issue was resolved. I am now looking forward to my third cruise on the Silver Spirit June 14th.

That's what was important!