Clearing Customs at JFK - Help

TSUmom

I have our tickets on hold for 24 hours but need help before purchasing. We will be returning from Rome on AA stopping at LHR and then on to JFK. My question, will we clear customs at JFK and how long can we expect it to take? We will arrive at JFK at 1:40 pm and have a connecting flight to DFW at 3:35.

Thank you for any input! I am completely new to this as we have never sailed from a foreign port.

Yes, you will clear customs at JFK. Takes just a few seconds to clear typically. Just hand the blue form and go unless you've got something that exceeds the customs limit then you'll probably need a secondary inspection.

Edited by fbgd

Yes, you will clear customs at JFK. Takes just a few seconds to clear typically. Just hand the blue form and go unless you've got something that exceeds the customs limit then you'll probably need a secondary inspection.

Great and thank you. I am trying to book fares for my DH and I from DFW and my SIL from CLE. She is not a fan of flying so it has been a chore to find flights where we can meet before flying to Rome. AA worked the best but then I started over thinking and worried about the connection time. We decided to just stay overnight in Rome post cruise to take some of the worry away by trying to take an 11:55 flight out, then I started thinking about the whole customs thing and...well here I am:o

I think you are confusing terminology. Clearing customs, unless you get pulled aside for screening is relatively fast.

You aren't going to be getting off the plane at 1:40. Add 20 minutes before you are off the plane. Then you have walk to immigration, get into that line and wait to get through immigration. Then, you have to pick up your checked bag, take it through customs, recheck it (this is just dropping it off), get through security again and then go to your next gate. Customs is usually pretty fast. It's clearing immigration and waiting for your bag to come off to clear customs and then reclearing security to get to your next gate that will take the time.

IMO, you are cutting it very close with this connection.

Edited by 6rugrats

I think I am mixing them up. Immigration is maybe what I have read taking long. We fly from FCO to LHR to JFK to DFW. Will I need to pass through any of these at LHR also? If so then we only have 2 hours there also

Edited by TSUmom

Immigration = is the person allowed entry

Customs = are they any prohibited items they are bringing in and payment of any applicable duty

At Heathrow you will need to clear security at the Flight Connections Centre. Follow the purple signs.

At JFK you will clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs, drop off bags on the transit belt and reclear security.

Did you know that there are non-stop flights from LHR-DFW....and from FCO-JFK/ORD.

Immigration = is the person allowed entry

Customs = are they any prohibited items they are bringing in and payment of any applicable duty

At Heathrow you will need to clear security at the Flight Connections Centre. Follow the purple signs.

At JFK you will clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs, drop off bags on the transit belt and reclear security.

Did you know that there are non-stop flights from LHR-DFW....and from FCO-JFK/ORD.

What airline? I am back to square one. It can get frustrating at times - My DH wants me to just use the cruiselines air but I will not give up!!:D

LHR-DFW - American Airlines and British Airways

These flights are seasonal:

DFW-JFK = American Airlines

DFW-ORD = American Airlines

No reason to use the cruiseline for a simple itinerary like this. I'd say there's no reason to use a cruiseline for any form of air transportation but that's me.

What airline? I am back to square one. It can get frustrating at times - My DH wants me to just use the cruiselines air but I will not give up!!:D

The cruise line won't invent a flight that doesn't exist... ;)

Looking at what I believe are your dates (May 9-20/21, right?), and considering that you've got SIL flying from CLE, I would look at US Air thru Charlotte.

LHR-DFW - American Airlines and British Airways

These flights are seasonal:

DFW-JFK = American Airlines

DFW-ORD = American Airlines

I think you may have meant:

FCO-JFK = AA

FCO-ORD = AA

I suspect that they run flights from their DFW hub to Chicago and New York most days of the year.....:D

I think you may have meant:

FCO-JFK = AA

FCO-ORD = AA

I suspect that they run flights from their DFW hub to Chicago and New York most days of the year.....:D

Haha, fail. I'd edit the post if I could....

Edited by fbgd

I have our tickets on hold for 24 hours but need help before purchasing. We will be returning from Rome on AA stopping at LHR and then on to JFK. My question, will we clear customs at JFK and how long can we expect it to take? We will arrive at JFK at 1:40 pm and have a connecting flight to DFW at 3:35.

Thank you for any input! I am completely new to this as we have never sailed from a foreign port.

Okay, I fear there's been a little confusion here, so let me clear things up a little.

Rome-London - You may have a ticket with an American Airlines flight number on it for this segment, but the flight will be operated by British Airways, using an AA "codeshare" flight number. You will check in at the BA counters in Rome, and you will arrive at Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport.

Assuming your London-New York flight is operated by American Airlines, and not another BA-operated codeshare, you will need to travel to Terminal 3 to catch the AA-operated flight. Follow the "flight connections" signs to a bus that will take you to T3, where you'll go through a security check and then be released into the shopping mall/gates.

If it IS operated by BA, then you'll just stay in Terminal 5 and wait for the flight.

At JFK, IF YOUR FLIGHT FROM LONDON IS OPERATED BY AA, you'll deplane, go through immigration and customs, re-check your bags and go through a security check, then you'll be released into Terminal 8 at JFK (American's terminal) and head to the DFW departure gate. T8 is very easy to navigate, and I've had very good luck with easy and quick passage through immigration and customs there.

IF YOUR LONDON-JFK FLIGHT IS OPERATED BY BA, then you'll arrive at Terminal 7 at JFK, go through the same immigration and customs process, re-check your bags, then take the train to Terminal 8 for security and departure.

ALWAYS look for small print on any reservation or ticket that says "operated by xxx." Codeshare ticketing (one airline selling tickets on another airline's planes) is a continuous source of confusion, so you need to be certain who's actually doing the flying. You always check in with the operating carrier, regardless of whose flight number is on the ticket.

Now, just a question. You say you arrive at JFK at 1:40 PM. That happens to be when AA's nonstop from Rome arrives, so my question is, are you sure you're stopping in London on the way home?

Okay, I fear there's been a little confusion here, so let me clear things up a little.

Rome-London - You may have a ticket with an American Airlines flight number on it for this segment, but the flight will be operated by British Airways, using an AA "codeshare" flight number. You will check in at the BA counters in Rome, and you will arrive at Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport.

Assuming your London-New York flight is operated by American Airlines, and not another BA-operated codeshare, you will need to travel to Terminal 3 to catch the AA-operated flight. Follow the "flight connections" signs to a bus that will take you to T3, where you'll go through a security check and then be released into the shopping mall/gates.

If it IS operated by BA, then you'll just stay in Terminal 5 and wait for the flight.

At JFK, IF YOUR FLIGHT FROM LONDON IS OPERATED BY AA, you'll deplane, go through immigration and customs, re-check your bags and go through a security check, then you'll be released into Terminal 8 at JFK (American's terminal) and head to the DFW departure gate. T8 is very easy to navigate, and I've had very good luck with easy and quick passage through immigration and customs there.

IF YOUR LONDON-JFK FLIGHT IS OPERATED BY BA, then you'll arrive at Terminal 7 at JFK, go through the same immigration and customs process, re-check your bags, then take the train to Terminal 8 for security and departure.

ALWAYS look for small print on any reservation or ticket that says "operated by xxx." Codeshare ticketing (one airline selling tickets on another airline's planes) is a continuous source of confusion, so you need to be certain who's actually doing the flying. You always check in with the operating carrier, regardless of whose flight number is on the ticket.

Now, just a question. You say you arrive at JFK at 1:40 PM. That happens to be when AA's nonstop from Rome arrives, so my question is, are you sure you're stopping in London on the way home?

The flight from FCO to LHR is operated by BA but from LHR to JFK it is AA. I was unable to select a seat on that flight - that is what made me realize that. I wish it was a non stop from FCO to JFK. I only have them on hold right now and will do some further checking for a more convenient flight.

Thank you all for your responses - I think I will check to see if I have more options. Our flight selection to Rome is good for us DFW/CLT/FCO - it is the return that is a headache. I can't remember if it was US airways of Delta but one of them had us going to Portugal and another wanted us to go to LAX and then back to DFW....I will take all of your suggestions and research.

Also, it seems I should have at least a 2 hour time frame for Customs and Immigration correct?

The flight from FCO to LHR is operated by BA but from LHR to JFK it is AA. I was unable to select a seat on that flight - that is what made me realize that. I wish it was a non stop from FCO to JFK. I only have them on hold right now and will do some further checking for a more convenient flight.
What I don't understand is why you're going for a two-stop itinerary when there are so many one-stop itineraries to choose from.

On the assumption that you're looking at a date like 24 May 2015, my guess is that you're planning something like this:-

AA (BA) 6516 FCO-LHR 0700-0845

AA 101 LHR-JFK 1045-1340

AA 65 JFK-DFW 1535-1840

But even if you stick to AA flight numbers, what's wrong with these options:-

AA (BA) 6697 FCO-LHR 0815-1000

AA (BA) 6154 LHR-DFW 1155-1550

AA (BA) 6697 FCO-LHR 0815-1000

AA 81 LHR-DFW 1225-1650

AA (IB) 5828 FCO-MAD 0800-1025

AA 37 MAD-DFW 1300-1730

Also, it seems I should have at least a 2 hour time frame for Customs and Immigration correct?
This is critically dependent on location and airlines. For example, arriving at JFK from LHR at 1340 and departing for DFW at 1535 is OK if both flights are operated by AA. But if the JFK-LHR flight had been operated by BA, then that would not have been "legal" and would not have been permitted, because the connection time is too short for that combination.

Okay all, Problem solved. I found flights straight to CLT to FCO and FCO to CLT. We will stay overnight in CLT so now it will be easier when it comes to customs and immigration. I am so happy I have these boards. I think I would have eventually arrived at the same conclusion about the direct flights but having your advice, thoughts and opinions gave me some direction. Thank you to all. Oh, and we are flying AA and US air. Thank you all again!!

If you are not going for a while apply for "Global Entry" it will allow you to avoid the long immigration lines and just check in at a machine. Then take the little paper it spits out to customs and you are done. I cleared both C&I in about 2 min in Newark earlier this year. (It is good for 5 years from you next birthday, so it will last you a while).

If you are looking for alternatives, and want to avoid waiting on bags and walking thiem through customs then do your connection in Europe or with Air Canada in Toronto.

Basically if you have checked baggage at JFK or most US airports you need to claim your bags to walk them through US customs. A connection in Europe the bags are transferred directly. If you are doing your connection in Toronto in the same terminal your bags are also automatically transferred. IT saves a little bit of time and waiting around.

If you are not going for a while apply for "Global Entry" it will allow you to avoid the long immigration lines and just check in at a machine. Then take the little paper it spits out to customs and you are done. I cleared both C&I in about 2 min in Newark earlier this year. (It is good for 5 years from you next birthday, so it will last you a while).
While an interesting suggestion, applying Global Entry includes a required trip to the airport for an in person interview. If the OP is a typical once a year traveler it really isn't worth the time and cost to apply for GE. GE was meant to streamline the process for the frequent low risk international traveler.

If the OP would like to apply for GE be sure to read about all the materials required to apply. You are basically "opening the kimono" to the Feds on your personal and professional life.

If the OP would like to apply for GE be sure to read about all the materials required to apply. You are basically "opening the kimono" to the Feds on your personal and professional life.

There is no information given on this application that "the Feds" don't already have.

IMO, even if you take only one international trip per year, GE is well worth it.

There is no information given on this application that "the Feds" don't already have.

IMO, even if you take only one international trip per year, GE is well worth it.

I heartily disagree (and we usually agree). Just look at the mess with the IRS right now. Because someone mistakenly sent someone else an invite for something, an IRS employee was going to "look into" a US Senator??? IF the intrusiveness can go that high up the chain because of political motivations, what is the little guy to do that just happens to give $50 to a Tea Party candidate or $100 to a Right to Life organization? You are throwing red flags all over the place when you apply for GE, IMHO and just inviting trouble, especially in this day and age.

As you well know, I have filled out more paperwork to work overseas than most travelers would ever think about. Since I have been checked, rechecked, fingerprinted, polygraphed and had many, many photos taken, why should I have to fill out one more form, have an interview that may or may not be convenient and pay money just to get through Immigration faster??? DHS, State, Pentagon and who knows how many other agencies already have all this info. So I am vehemently opposed to any more intrusive examinations as the info already is on file many places in our government.

If I am cleared to go into any US military installation in the Middle East, why should I have give out more info, fill out more forms and pay money for the privilege? Does that mean I am not a "trusted" traveler but am a"trusted" Pentagon/State dept contractor? Makes no sense and I refuse to participate in their silly games.