Whither Seaside 3?

Dr. Cocktail

As a bit of a cruise and cruise ship junkie, I am always looking forward to try new and different things.

I've sailed on ships ranging in size from 4000 grt right up to 165 000 grt.

Keeping that in mind, one of the ships that I'm most excited to sail on is Seaside. While people have been fussing over Meraviglia, her basic design and general arrangement are a hodgepodge of designs from MSC and RCI. There's really not a single thing innovative about her that has not been seen on another ship.

Seaside, however, looks - well, just cool. Her almost unprecedented amount of outdoor space for a new generation cruise ship, her brilliant (or insane?) position of her lido buffet on the promenade deck and the way her layout practically forces people to disperse is quite amazing. Of course, much of this is because the ship was primarily laid out by Fincantieri based on their decades of ship building and was purchased "off the rack" much as NCL's Project Leonardo bought the very same design.

But yet ... MSC have not yet exercised their option for a third ship.

As a Saturday afternoon First World concern, I'm curious to hear people's opinions on "why" or "why not"!

Too busy with the Meraviglia plus ships that really offer nothing new for me being just a larger version of the Fantasia class, plus you have to remember that most MSC ships have been built in France rather than an Italian yard likely due to cost.

There are two reasons we booked Seaside, the new fresh design of the ship and a pre made decision to cruise at Xmas 2017.

I think they will build the third ship.

• 4 weeks later...
As a bit of a cruise and cruise ship junkie, I am always looking forward to try new and different things.

I've sailed on ships ranging in size from 4000 grt right up to 165 000 grt.

Keeping that in mind, one of the ships that I'm most excited to sail on is Seaside. While people have been fussing over Meraviglia, her basic design and general arrangement are a hodgepodge of designs from MSC and RCI. There's really not a single thing innovative about her that has not been seen on another ship.

Seaside, however, looks - well, just cool. Her almost unprecedented amount of outdoor space for a new generation cruise ship, her brilliant (or insane?) position of her lido buffet on the promenade deck and the way her layout practically forces people to disperse is quite amazing. Of course, much of this is because the ship was primarily laid out by Fincantieri based on their decades of ship building and was purchased "off the rack" much as NCL's Project Leonardo bought the very same design.

But yet ... MSC have not yet exercised their option for a third ship.

As a Saturday afternoon First World concern, I'm curious to hear people's opinions on "why" or "why not"!

They are probably more interested in getting the "World" class of ship built than Seaside III

they also have

Belllissima being built :- delivery March 2019 (meraviglia class)

Meraviglia plus I class :- delivery 2019

Meravigli plus II :- delivery 2020

Seaside III is not until 2021

WORLD CLASS Delivery :- 2022; 2024 ; 2025; 2026

world-class.jpg

see this thread on this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505760

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Having been on Meraviglia, I agree with you, GB. Especially with MSC's lack of organisation and crowd management!

I guess we can only dream about it :( Monsters in sea filled with people who have problem to put pants for dinner is cruise industry future. Or you should be a millioner who can afford Oceania or Silverseas. :rolleyes:

I guess we can only dream about it :( Monsters in sea filled with people who have problem to put pants for dinner is cruise industry future. Or you should be a millioner who can afford Oceania or Silverseas. :rolleyes:

How true! Up 'til recently we were very happy in a balcony cabin and have chosen quantity over quality. However, more and more, we're finding that we only want to sail in YC. We're going to have to do fewer cruises in the future so that we can afford it as a result. Thankfully, the smaller ships in the fleet are in great condition so will still be around for the next few years!

• 2 months later...

As much as I love MSC, and am looking forward to my Seaside cruise, I think I would book one of RCCL's Oasis class ships over the Merigavalia class because they hold less passengers, and Royal is a master of crowd moving. Was on the Oasis in 2013, and there were very few times that the ship seemed crowded.

Very interesting! Do we think this means that Seaside III is no more given its original date of 2021?

See this article for a little more info :)

If you look at the photo, you can see they've added an additional deck of Yacht Club cabins .... Hmmmmm ... as the ship likely won't be much longer or higher, it just means more people competing for the same amount of space

If you look at the photo, you can see they've added an additional deck of Yacht Club cabins .... Hmmmmm ... as the ship likely won't be much longer or higher, it just means more people competing for the same amount of space

EVO is supposedly about 16 meters longer than Seaside (same beam width).

Ship deliveries yet to come for MSC

MSC Seaside, 154,000 GWT;PAX- 4130 (based on 2 per cabin)

MSC Seaview, 154,000 GWT;PAX- 4130 (based on 2 per cabin)

MSC Bellissima (Meravigliaclass), 167,000 GWT ; PAX – 4490 (basedon 2 per cabin)

MSC Grandiosa (Meravigliaplus class ) 177,000 GWT ; PAX – 4888 (basedon 2 per cabin)

MSC Grandiosa 2 (Meravigliaplus class ) 177,000 GWT ; PAX – 4888 (basedon 2 per cabin)

MSC Seaside EVO 169,380 GWT; PAX - 5646 (max capacity – figures based on 2 per cabin not yet released)

MSC World 200,000 GWT ; PAX - 5520 (based on 2 per cabin)

MSC Seaside EVO 2 169,380 PAX - 5646 (max capacity – figures based on 2 percabin not yet released)

MSC World 2 200,000 GWT ; PAX - 5520 (based on 2 per cabin)

MSC World 3 200,000 GWT ; PAX - 5520 (based on 2 per cabin)

MSC World 4 200,000 GWT ; PAX - 5520 (based on 2 per cabin)

Edited by Skier52

As much as I love MSC, and am looking forward to my Seaside cruise, I think I would book one of RCCL's Oasis class ships over the Merigavalia class because they hold less passengers, and Royal is a master of crowd moving. Was on the Oasis in 2013, and there were very few times that the ship seemed crowded.

So true it never seemed crowded.