Staying in Ft. Laud

cruiselvr1

After reading Trip advisor and other publications, we still not sure where to stay, before our cruise. Hyatt pier 66 didn't get good reviews. It seems to be the closest to the Port, any suggestions.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hyatt Place on 10th (next to Embassy Suites)

Renaissance on 17th St (across the street from the entrance to the port) We have walked in before if the ships at Pier #2/4

Embassy Suites

The Pier 66 would be my last choice.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Renaissance on 17th St (across the street from the entrance to the port) We have walked in before if the ships at Pier #2/4

Embassy Suites

Agreed.

Embassy Suites

Thank you

In addition to consulting the Florida Departures Board, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495, take a look at the Fort Lauderdale tourism website, http://www.sunny.org, for lots of info on lodging, attractions, transportation and restaurants.

Frequently discussed on the Florida Board: If you are interested in Hyatt Place, book through valuetrips.com - you can save lots of money.

Edited by capriccio

:)Another vote for Embassy Suites. It is close to the port and airport. Shopping center within walking distance has every thing you forgot to pack plus Total Wine. We travel as a triple but only two chairs on the mini-suite patio - no problem- pick up a "soccer game folding chair" at one of the drug/variety stores. Across the street is Waxy O'Connor's - a wonderful Irish type pub. Embassy suites also has a great Manager's evening reception and a super breakfast buffet. Can take their low cost shuttle to the ship or a cab. We'll be there before our Canal cruise November 1st - 237 days away but who's counting? Happy cruising

I've stayed numerous times at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina and have never had complaints. If you get a room in the tower section you even get a very cool rain shower in the bathroom. They also have a very nice bar outside to relax and have a few drinks before your cruise. =)

After reading Trip advisor and other publications, we still not sure where to stay, before our cruise. Hyatt pier 66 didn't get good reviews. It seems to be the closest to the Port, any suggestions.

Thanks

I guess it all depends how long you will be there before your cruise. If you get in late evening before cruise then it does not give you much time to anything in the area and staying close to the port will make sense to cut your transport cost.

If you are there for a couple days before then location will be more important.

We are going 4 days before our cruise so chose GalleryOne for location. Reasons. Walking distance to mall, great restaurants, Starbucks, publix and water taxi stop at the hotel which we can take to las Olas.

I personally love the Hyatt Pier 66 and it is the only 'resort' on 17th Street. Not sure what people would complain about it, we are at the bar a couple times a month.

I'd stay there over any other hotel on 17th Street.

That said, the Embassy, Renaissance, and Hilton Marina are also all good choices.

Edited by BlueHerons

I personally love the Hyatt Pier 66 and it is the only 'resort' on 17th Street. Not sure what people would complain about it, we are at the bar a couple times a month.

I'd stay there over any other hotel on 17th Street.

That said, the Embassy, Renaissance, and Hilton Marina are also all good choices.

Probably because we didn't sleep in the bar. ;)

Embassy Suites

I will say the Renaissance must be good, it's booked through December.

I will say the Renaissance must be good, it's booked through December.

Our season starts October so I'm not surprised.

Your other choices are also pretty good.

Have you thought about staying elsewhere and not staying on 17th Street?

A1A is still a short cab ride from Port Everglades.

Courtyard Marriott

Bahia Mar

Lago Mar

Marriott Harbor Beach

Hilton FLL Beach

The W

Ritz Carlton

Westin

They are all excellent choices.

Our season starts October so I'm not surprised.

Your other choices are also pretty good.

Have you thought about staying elsewhere and not staying on 17th Street?

A1A is still a short cab ride from Port Everglades.

Courtyard Marriott

Bahia Mar

Lago Mar

Marriott Harbor Beach

Hilton FLL Beach

The W

Ritz Carlton

Westin

They are all excellent choices.

I have received some good choices. We have never been to Florida before, we might come a little earlier than we thought. It might be fun to see some sights.

We are coming in Feb 17th for a two nite stay Holiday inn express on 17th as of yesterday had rooms. Reasonable price, booked thru their website. Free bkfst, cab to port sounds like the best deal. Just a short walk to Walgreens, restaurants and water taxi. Also read that trolley runs

past on 17th.

We have stayed there 15 times, how many times have you stayed there?

We spent six weeks at the Pier 66 after a kitchen fire damaged my home on Cordova.

My parents spend the months of October and February there every year.

Seems like a lot of times to stay at a hotel you dislike.

Edited by BlueHerons

We spent six weeks at the Pier 66 after a kitchen fire damaged my home on Cordova.

My parents spend the months of October and February there every year.

Seems like a lot of times to stay at a hotel you dislike.

Like I said earlier we don't stay there anymore.

We have stayed there over a 15 year period

A one time 6 week straight stay hardly gives one an honest look at long term issues.

I am not the only one who has poo pooed the Pier 66.

Glad you like it. We don't.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Like I said earlier we don't stay there anymore.

We have stayed there over a 15 year period

A one time 6 week straight stay hardly gives one an honest look at long term issues.

I am not the only one who has poo pooed the Pier 66.

Glad you like it. We don't.

What was wrong with it? I am booked there in the tower in 2 weeks.

What was wrong with it? I am booked there in the tower in 2 weeks.

We spent 4 nights in a tower room at Hyatt Pier 66 in December prior to our Princess cruise and have booked the same hotel for October before our Panama Canal cruise. Our experience with Hyatt has been positive - Hyatt Regency, House and Place in many locations. Small issues do not effect our opinion of any hotel chain, only serious issues that are not rectified immediately will prevent me from staying again - that's why you'll never see me at a Marriott property.

Hyatt 66 is a resort and that is one of the reasons we like it. The property has a nice pool area, dining and drinks pool-side, plenty of walking paths, and checking out the yachts can be fun, too. There's a variety of price-point dining venues - excellent steak house - I recall it's associated with Mezzaluna, another favorite close to Hyatt Place.

Any room issues have always been taken care of promptly. There's some nostalgia, too, as DH recalls dining atop the tower with his grand parents back in the early 60's.

My only complaint is the price to park at the property, but we combine points with promo and agree - it's vacation - our bar on the ship can be worse! Oh, love Thursday afternoon happy hour wine at the lobby bar. We do book the buffet breakfast package, cheaper than a la carte.

For our stay in October, we decided to book one of the marina rooms, not facing the water, but one looking out at the pool. The tower rooms we usually get have a great view of the ships leaving PE - but can be very windy if the weather turns bad.

Be sure to join the hotel chain's Passport program and start collecting points.

Darcy